Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,391  
I think you have a great looking shop with enough toys to make any grown man excited

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,392  
I dropped in a few LED 4ft bulbs as a replacement in florescent fixtures and did not remove the ballasts. They work. Any reason to go through the hassle of surgery on the fixtures?
The ballast will eventually die and you will need to remove/bypass it. So its just a matter of whether you do it now or later.

As to current draw (haven't read far enough through the thread to see if anyone answered this definitively, but) I believe that you do lose a little running through the ballast, but it's pretty insignificant.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,393  
I have not installed any of the 4 foot fluorescent replacement LED fixtures yet but from pictures it looks like the whole fixture is replaced when they fail?

I have done a few of the LED tube replacements reusing the old fixture housing and I removed the ballasts.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,394  
I have not installed any of the 4 foot fluorescent replacement LED fixtures yet but from pictures it looks like the whole fixture is replaced when they fail?

I have done a few of the LED tube replacements reusing the old fixture housing and I removed the ballasts.

If you are installing an LEF fixture, then most likely, yes - when it fails you replace the entire fixture.

As for upfitting existing fluorescent fixtures, there is nothing to fail* other than the "tube". They run entirely 110/20v.

*If you've removed the ballast, then if/when the tube fails, you replace the tube.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,395  
If you are installing an LEF fixture, then most likely, yes - when it fails you replace the entire fixture.

As for upfitting existing fluorescent fixtures, there is nothing to fail* other than the "tube". They run entirely 110/20v.

*If you've removed the ballast, then if/when the tube fails, you replace the tube.

Ok. Let's say you remove the ballast? How does 120 VAC get to the tombstones?

It does require some rewiring.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,396  
Self ballasting LED tubes are wired directly to the tombstones. I use a sharpie to label fixtures when I switch "No ballast, LED only" etc to be seen when changing tubes. I don't use SBs exclusively, usually for built-ins. I have mixed types in the shop downstairs, all 'ballast-compatible' in the barn and garage. No reason, it just worked out that way.

I do get much better light with LEDs than I did with T-8s anywhere. I like the instant-on brightness bit when it's really cold.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #4,400