Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,491  
Re: Big Barn痴 Retirement Farm Shop

Primarily picture frame moulding and wide plank flooring, along with some architectural moulding, stair treads and miscellaneous other stuff.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,492  

Primarily picture frame moulding and wide plank flooring, along with some architectural moulding, stair treads and miscellaneous other stuff.

Cool. You should post some pics of products/projects.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
#2,493  
#2,495  
68, planning on 26 more. :D

We don’t have to worry about things to talk about. These days everything is “new” to me. LOL.

#2,496  
I finally found a Magnavon quick change drill chuck on
eBay for the Boeing drill bits I purchased a while back.

The chucks on air drills can be tricky to remove as they don’t have the reversing feature ( which provides a bit of resistance) found on most electric corded and cordless drills.

The OEM chuck came off easily though with the aid of a 3/8 inch Allen head socket and a cordless impact driver.

Adjustments.jpg

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
#2,497  
Magnavon quick change chuck installed

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,498  

Cool. You should post some pics of products/projects.

Yes. Please do!

Frankly most of the work we do is pretty boring. At least I think so. I mean, I love what we do, but can't really imagine other people would find it interesting. It just seems so ordinary. I will try to put together some everyday and once-in-a-lifetime projects we've done.

One of our problems is that we are really just a supplier of raw material for the most part. Kinda like the quarry that sells PA Bluestone or pond liner. Getting pics of the finished product can often be difficult. But we do get some and I will look through our archives and see if I can pull out a few boring, interesting and mind-blowing ones.

Thanks for your interest.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,499  

Frankly most of the work we do is pretty boring. At least I think so. I mean, I love what we do, but can't really imagine other people would find it interesting. It just seems so ordinary. I will try to put together some everyday and once-in-a-lifetime projects we've done.

One of our problems is that we are really just a supplier of raw material for the most part. Kinda like the quarry that sells PA Bluestone or pond liner. Getting pics of the finished product can often be difficult. But we do get some and I will look through our archives and see if I can pull out a few boring, interesting and mind-blowing ones.

Thanks for your interest.
I think any wood or any material processing pics are interesting especially seeing how larger scale operations are done.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,500  

This moulding was so large with such deep cuts that we couldn't machine in it one piece. We designed an aligning interlock to assist in gluing it together. All we did is mill the profiles, our customer put them together, mitered and made the frame etc. There were a total of (50) frames with an approximate OD of 80 x 88.
Laumont4.jpegLaumont3.jpegLaumont1.jpgLaumont.jpg

8" clear pine crown moulding:
1.25x8_Crown.jpg

Splined corner frames:
2017-09-01 09.59.49.jpg2014-10-15 Stack of FCFs with splines inserted.jpg

Mirror frames made of walnut with 1/16" thick solid brass laminated to one surface. We made the moulding, including brushing the brass with a satin linear finish on our profile sander and mitered it, our customer joined (with 1/8" thick brass splines) and finished them. We made four prototypes for a potential job of around 350 total. We quoted them a price for the prototypes with a goal of determining production costs. I guess it was too high...
Asher2.jpgAsher1.jpg

We use the Hoffmann Dovetail System to join most of our frames. This is a promo compilation to show the features:
041211 - VT Hardwoods - Dovetail Wedges.jpg

Many of our customers make very large frames. This one made a system to stand them up for fitting (adding the glazing [acrylic in frames this large], artwork, backing, spacers or what-have-you).
Big Frame 4.jpg

A "floater" frame is one that exposes the sides of a painting on canvas. Here is a pic of the application and a batch being glued up.
Floater1.jpgL Floater Application.JPG

We made a multi-opening frame for a Beatles memorabilia collection. The bottom three frames open to reveal additional items:
IMG-0341.JPG

A couple flooring jobs, including a pic of my office (the one with the walnut French Knot inlay):
IMG_0481.JPGIMG_0490.JPGRight-A.jpg

We often make stair treads to go with our flooring. These ones are Hickory and have mitered returns (the part that is exposed on an open staircase) so you don't see end grain.
Hickory_Treads.jpg

A couple finished stair pics, again from our office:
CIMG0611.JPGCIMG0610.JPG

Finally a table made by an artisan neighbor of ours. We just made the pie-shaped pieces, he put it together including an epoxy in-fill:
Pie table purple resin.JPG