Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop
#2,441  
That stuff is nasty but it was probably the only thing holding the welder/trailer unit together I bought last winter.

Adjustments.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,442  
Terry are those paving stones in the pic with the spray can? So are you the resident expert on laying paving stones?

I want to use them for a patio our the back door. 16 ft square maybe? Tips, suggestions? Start at the beginning...... :eek:

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,443  
1) rent a compactor. :D

#2,444  
Terry are those paving stones in the pic with the spray can? So are you the resident expert on laying paving stones?

I want to use them for a patio our the back door. 16 ft square maybe? Tips, suggestions? Start at the beginning...... :eek:

Those are concrete pavers, Richard. They call them interlocking brick around here.

I had the paving guys install them when I built the house 26 years ago.

YouTube should be of help. And as OG mentioned rent a plate compactor. And no, I don’t think you will be able to use that JD grader you used to use for the county.

Last edited:
   / Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,445  
Solid packed compacted base (3/4" minus), then an inch or so of sand on top to help bed them flat and level. They make a type of sand for filling the cracks that has some polymer additive in it so it seals the cracks when you wet it. Stops grass from growing up through. You do need something around the perimeter to restrain the blocks from wandering out. I used PT wood once but would not do that again. I would recommend pouring a concrete curb or some other masonry that will lock into the ground. You can also pour a concrete slab to put the bricks on and incorporate the curb in that. Just leave a little extra depth for some sand to level them out.

#2,446  
Like Dave said, a concrete curb does a nice job of retaining.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,447  
Re: Big Barn痴 Retirement Farm Shop

Solid packed compacted base (3/4" minus), then an inch or so of sand on top to help bed them flat and level. They make a type of sand for filling the cracks that has some polymer additive in it so it seals the cracks when you wet it. Stops grass from growing up through. You do need something around the perimeter to restrain the blocks from wandering out. I used PT wood once but would not do that again. I would recommend pouring a concrete curb or some other masonry that will lock into the ground. You can also pour a concrete slab to put the bricks on and incorporate the curb in that. Just leave a little extra depth for some sand to level them out.
Great advice... don't ask how I know. :thumbsup:

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,448  
I知 into Day 3 of pressure washing hardscape areas around the house.

I don稚 know about you guys but I find i really need to take frequent breaks and limit myself to 3-4 hours a day. Getting old sucks....

Secret entrance from the street behind garage.

This algae growth in the PNW is annoying to say the least.

The pavers under the porte cochere however just got washed for the first time in 26 years. A tip I just learned recently is how brake cleaner removes oil stains from concrete and concrete pavers.

I figure I have another 3-5 part days to go....

Oven cleaner will do a job on oil stains on concrete too.

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,449  
Treat the base layer and immediate surroundings with Bifen IT or similar and plan to retreat the perimeter yearly. Ants appreciate the temp stability provided by the thermal mass of masonry, and sometimes fewer common surface predator access. (ant lions, birds, etc)

My peak years of pouring/laying driveways and patios were in the mid '80s, and I see how ground type affects management decades later.

Over heavier soils there are typically fewer 'driveway ant' and weed issues. These areas settle a bit less as they are undermined less by insect activity. I live on a 'dune', and 6" and 8" concrete poured before then when a sand/gravel pit can resound like a drum head in a few spots from drilling hammer, battle-bot, or 70lb HFT floor jack activity.

Don't neglect grading with pavers. In our temperate climate (high '80s Fri, <40 this morning) they're are more susceptible to frost-heaving in Springtime. Adding perimeter drain tile and even a sump & pump has been the salvation of some areas that just couldn't be drained well. (drastic, but very effective if frost-proofed as needed)

Curved borders may mean more fuss to lay/trim to fit, and squared corners can be more work to mow/trim around. Catch a corner block on a mower deck and you'll be glad you planned for possible repair. Running the compactor 'over the top' when 'sanding' cracks is ok if paver surface isn't marred. Concrete vs fancy patterned pieces can make this 'doable' or not.

Another :2cents:

/ Big Barn’s Retirement Farm Shop #2,450  
Re: Big Barn痴 Retirement Farm Shop

Terry you have a very nice place, I guess you don't use salt on the pavers. Is the gate to keep Mark out?