BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #11  
I use 18" on bh92

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers
18" is perhaps more common than I expected. Thanks Thirsty, I've been thinking I might use a ripper quite often. 15 or even 30 minute change over doesn't seem bad. An hour is getting up there, but I guess I could do it in the shop while listening to tunes, etc.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #13  
I have a 18" and a 12" bucket. They both get quite a bit of use and I'd hate to give up either one. I had a brand new 24" that came with my hoe when I bought it used. I decided to sell it while it was brand new and buy a 18". In hindsight I was right. Unless you're digging on the beach these tractor backhoes aren't strong enough for that size bucket. As long as the pins behave I can change buckets in 15 minutes. I built a ripper but I've never used it. This works a lot better. IMG_9465.JPGIMG_9353.JPG

Last edited:
   / BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #14  
Ditto, I also have a 18" bucket for dirt moving and a 12" bucket for root removal (mesquite and stumps) on my BH90. It is easy switching from one bucket to another.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #15  
Well, it was recommended that I get the 24" bucket, so I did. Now I wish I had the 12" one. However, a new bucket is about $600. What would a ripper tooth cost?

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #16  
I don't own a Kubota BH but have a Woods BH90x. Standard bucket was 18" I believe. I also added a custom ripper I designed with help from Michigan Iron. The ripper is awesome for trenching and ripping roots. The standard bucket is great for digging and I wouldn't want a smaller bucket. I don't know what he charges now but Michigan Iron and Equipment sold the rippers a few years ago for about $500. Great investment if you need to knock down trees. SO much less work and damage to turf and soil than chainsaw and digging out the stump. Just rip the roots on 4 sides and then push the tree over. Works exceptionally well for trees up to about 12" diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 495
   / BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers
Well, it was recommended that I get the 24" bucket, so I did. Now I wish I had the 12" one. However, a new bucket is about $600. What would a ripper tooth cost?

A Bro-tek ripper is $390. Island Tractor-- That looks like what I imagine I'd like. I'd need one that fits with the kubota factory thumb. MIE made the thumb you have?

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #18  
A Bro-tek ripper is $390. Island Tractor-- That looks like what I imagine I'd like. I'd need one that fits with the kubota factory thumb. MIE made the thumb you have?

MIE made that thumb. It was their 'prototype'. I think they now incorporate some teeth on the front edge but I believe the basic design is the same. Bob or Tony at MIE could help you. They are Kioti dealers but I'm sure they can adapt to the Kubota thumb if you get them dimensions.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #19  
Sorry for being a bit late on this, I don't have much time to be on forums and sometimes I forget to drop down to the Kubota sub-forums when I do get time. I have a ripper tooth from Bro-Tek for my BH92. I think mine was the first one he built. It is very well built and he actually got it right with my lousy measuring skills. The only issue I had was that the front pin was not big enough. I'm guessing on the smaller versions the pins are the same size.

He didn't ask for that measurement and I was new to tractors so I didn't know to think about it. A quick trip to a machine shop to bore out the front pin hole and I was off to the races. The thing is awesome for ripping up roots. It stays on the Backhoe almost full time as I have a lot of trees to take down. Really nice to push them over and not have a root ball to grind.

I don't remember his name but he was very easy to work with and produced a great product. I am seriously thinking about seeing if he will build me a 4" bucket. That would be so much more useful than the 18" I got originally

Mark

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #20  
Sorry for being a bit late on this, I don't have much time to be on forums and sometimes I forget to drop down to the Kubota sub-forums when I do get time. I have a ripper tooth from Bro-Tek for my BH92. I think mine was the first one he built. It is very well built and he actually got it right with my lousy measuring skills. The only issue I had was that the front pin was not big enough. I'm guessing on the smaller versions the pins are the same size.

He didn't ask for that measurement and I was new to tractors so I didn't know to think about it. A quick trip to a machine shop to bore out the front pin hole and I was off to the races. The thing is awesome for ripping up roots. It stays on the Backhoe almost full time as I have a lot of trees to take down. Really nice to push them over and not have a root ball to grind.

I don't remember his name but he was very easy to work with and produced a great product. I am seriously thinking about seeing if he will build me a 4" bucket. That would be so much more useful than the 18" I got originally

Mark

On my BH 90 the pins on the dipper stick are 8.5" wide. Wouldn't you be wearing and hitting on the pin connectors for a bucket less than 8.5". The top of the bucket would be 8.5" wide anyway for the connecting bracket. If you do not plan on digging any deeper than the top of the bucket I guess it would be ok, otherwise you would be digging with the connector pins.

My 9" bucket is actually 8.5" wide and the ripper teeth are 10.5" wide at the front lip of the bucket. I'm digging with the bucket not the dipper stick.

The teeth are a lot less expensive to replace than part of the BH.