BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
What size bucket(s) are you using on your BH90 or 92? When I bought my BH92 I had never used a hoe before and "guessed" an 18" would be best for me. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 16". Prying and rock popping is more important to me than moving a lot of material, most of the time. So someday I might get a ripper but I don't have the QA so I'm unsure how often I'd really want to change out between bucket and ripper.

What are people using?

Dave

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #2  
The difference between a 16" and an 18" will be essentially unnoticeable in practical use. Getting a ripper would be far more useful than a 2" smaller bucket. I've got the 16" on my BH77

These buckets aren't 'that' heavy to just swap them out with the standard pins.

Last edited:
   / BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #3  
Would be good if there was a reasonable manufacturer of rippers for the BH92.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers
I noticed Bro-tek doesn't list the BH92 and Mich. Iron (MIE) wants a grand for theirs. Ouch.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #5  
I noticed Bro-tek doesn't list the BH92 and Mich. Iron (MIE) wants a grand for theirs. Ouch.

Yikes! Ouch is right. I've read lots of guys are happy with purchases from them but wowza. The Bro-tek ones have a much nicer price. Considering all the similar models of backhoe listed, it should be only a quick phone call or email to see if one of them fits the BH92

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #6  
MIE are super nice but more than that size hoe really needs. I seems to recall something about Bro-tek making one, also DR makes one for their hoe, maybe able to mod it to fits yours (It is fairly reasonably priced if I recall correctly)

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #7  
What size bucket(s) are you using on your BH90 or 92? When I bought my BH92 I had never used a hoe before and "guessed" an 18" would be best for me. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 16". Prying and rock popping is more important to me than moving a lot of material, most of the time. So someday I might get a ripper but I don't have the QA so I'm unsure how often I'd really want to change out between bucket and ripper.

What are people using?

Dave

For ripping rock and digging in hard soil, it isn't so much the bucket width, it's the number of teeth on the bucket. I have both a 16" 4 tooth and a 12" 3 tooth bucket for my BH92. I found through experience I can do nearly twice the work in the same period of time with the 12" here in the northeast PA red shale and hardpan.

I've been thinking about a ripper but like you, I don't have a QA and don't know how often I'd use it.

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #8  
I have a BH-92. I use an 18" bucket. I also have a root ripper made by Bro-Tec. I am very happy with the size of the bucket as well as the quality of the Bro-Tec ripper. I would recommend the bro-Tec ripper if you need to remove stumps or rocks.

I used a 12" bucket on my previous machine. I did a lot of trenching during my new house construction. 12" is too narrow if you need to get in the trench for any reason IMHO. The 18" moves a lot more material and is not so big that the BH 92 stops digging when it hits a few rocks.

IMG_1344.JPG

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers
Thirsty- Did you have to custom order from Bro-tek for the BH92? They've never shown the 92 on their list of machines. And about how long does it take you to switch from the bucket to the tooth?

/ BH90/BH92 Buckets and Rippers #10  
I sent them a message stating what I wanted and they sent me my ripper, I did not consider it a custom order other than asking for teeth to be cut into the ripper. They cut the teeth at no extra charge. The switch over can take from 15 minutes (All planets aligned, and no problems) to 1 hour. I may be overly concerned with ensuring the pins are spotless. I really do not want to introduce dirt during the changeover. Another thing is the hydraulic thumb. Just another moving part to line up during the swap over.

I find that I leave the ripper on more than the bucket.

I'll send them an e-mail about listing the BH92.