Better parking brake warning needed.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #91  
You probably don't drive car with parking brake on.
I might be the only person left in the world who still uses the parking brake on my pickup. I even started a thread about that a couple of years ago.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #92  
Mine is automatically applied every time I go into park

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #93  
I might be the only person left in the world who still uses the parking brake on my pickup. I even started a thread about that a couple of years ago.

You might just be but only because nobody uses manual transmissions anymore. I was just down in Alabama again working on a three-story picker conveyor system and used the parking brake on a variety of forklifts only because they either incessantly beep at you if not set or fail to start if not set. On my own tractor, I don't ever "park" using the parking brake because the parking brake causes my brake switch to screw up but I do use the parking brake frequently to hold the machine in place and any air brake Payloader always gets the parking brake treatment.

IMG_4176.JPG

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #94  
In my state it is supposed to be operational in order to pass annual inspection. Some inspection stations will let it slide if the vehicle is automatic, figuring you don't really need it. Others are sticklers.
I have no idea if it works in either of my vehicles. Afraid to test it in the event the cable binds and it won't release. 😨

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #95  
Thanks to ruffdog for posting the motorcycle brake switch and thanks to Fuddyduddy1952 for posting the light/beeper, I now have a warning on my L2501 HST parking brake.

After looking at some other options, the motorcycle brake switch has enough adjustment to activate the switch when the parking brake is engaged. There isn't much travel on the parking brake lock itself under the tractor compared to the range of motion for the parking brake arm itself. The motorcycle brake switch works fine for this application.

I opted to put the light/beeper under the tractor on a bracket I fabricated rather than drill a hole in the dash. I also figured that if the beep was pesky enough, I'd rather have it under the tractor anyway. It doesn't seem overly loud, however. It is an intermittent beep so it should get my attention when I set my parking brake.

beep.jpg

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #96  
I thought about a buzzer but I usually set the brake to exit the tractor and connect a 3pt or grab the phone off the bench or such and a buzzer would be super annoying - But it may be needed if I get any more forgetful... Me driving along thinking hmm? Wonder what that noise is? :LOL: :D:p;)

I had a chance to use the brake/light warning today. The buzzer is loud enough to hear on the operators station while the tractor is running, but isn't bothersome when I get off the tractor even though I mounted it under my L2501. The warning light is big enough that between the light and the buzzer, it would be hard to ignore if you mount it where the light would be visible.

The only downside I see is it takes a pretty good sized bit to drill the hole for it. Not sure that I'd want to leave it in the rain, either.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #97  
I had a chance to use the brake/light warning today. The buzzer is loud enough to hear on the operators station while the tractor is running, but isn't bothersome when I get off the tractor even though I mounted it under my L2501. The warning light is big enough that between the light and the buzzer, it would be hard to ignore if you mount it where the light would be visible.

The only downside I see is it takes a pretty good sized bit to drill the hole for it. Not sure that I'd want to leave it in the rain, either.

I bought one of those too to evaluate. Cute light buzzer combo. Worried about durability in an open station tractor with rain and dust especially facing up. Fortunately the dash cover had a perfect spot for LED sealed marker light. Prefer a hole saw for thin metal or plastic. Rubber grommet make easy attachment and nothing to loosen from vibration or impact. Much brighter than any dash light. Obnoxiously bright.

Motorcycle switch has proved to be reliable and durable. Has required no adjustment or maintenance since installed.

M59 has separate warning dash lights for two parking brakes. Sometimes hard to see in full sun. Could use a brighter lights. Not many other operators so not as big problem with parking brakes.

/ Better parking brake warning needed. #98  
I did not want to install it in line with the parking brake indicator because when i off the tractor or working on backhoe it would drive me crazy(like im not already :LOL:...)
Here is one more solution, inspired by this thread ;)

Last edited: