Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...?

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #41  
Just to mention that DeWalt has adapters that allow the different form factor 20v batteries to work in the old 18V tools. The DeWalt adapters also prevent the use of the larger Ah 20V batteries. They also have a line of 60V tools now.
I didn't know that and it's valuable info.

I retired a couple years ago and stopped the "battery tool arms race" after accumulating a good stock of 20V tools and batteries.

One odd thing I did notice with regard to batteries is with the 4AH batteries. The tools and batteries I bought through the company I worked for generally had 5AH batteries. A couple lights had 2AH. I scarfed up a couple bargains at a box store that has 4AH batteries. So far - knock on wood - the 4AH batteries are the only failures I've had.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #42  
You guys are wrong. Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Ridgid are all made by TTI.

Most people that review cordless tools show that Milwaukee and Ryobi perform pretty closely the same with the same level of tool. Ryobi is less expensive by quite a bit.

For someone that doesn't make a living with their tools, Ryobi is hard to beat. I've woorked mine hard and they last a LONG time. I recently replaced my old blue sawzall with a new brushless one after a LOT of years of use. Replaced my old blue drill with a new brushless combo drill/hammer drill after a LOT of hard use. Newer versions are pretty darn nice.

Of you buy a lot of tools, the savings can add up.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #43  
Tools! I'll save you guys because I can go on about this topic for hours. I used to test tools for suppliers .....

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...?
DeWalt, Stanley, and Black and Decker are all less of a good brand today than years past IMHO. Ten years ago, I was a huge fan of DeWalt and Stanley tools but, today I find quality and durability to be lacking.

Regarding Ryobi and Milwaukee tools being similar, I have never seen a Ryobi power tool that much beyond a really basic entry-level Milwaukee or DeWalt version. In fact, most seemed similar to the Black and Decker options seen at places like Walmart and various hardware stores.

I'm not saying that Ryobi doesn't have good tools but, I will say they aren't available at normal retail places locally or online at a level that competes with the more classic premium options. Then there is the issue of future support. Ten years from now, I would rather be looking for a DeWalt or Milwaukee replacement battery than a replacement Ryobi too.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #46  
In as much as the majority of them come from China (except Metabo and Bosch), I think at least, I don't see replacement parts or batteries being available in the future.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #47  
question is commercial use or handy homeowner. for quick easy jobs, cordless is great. or for pros that have a small task. i'd starve if i had to make a living as handyman, etc...
but i always keep on hand a 100' 10 ga heavy duty extension cord. plus 65kw gen for occasion.
my cordless drills & jig saws are great for quickie tasks.
but have yet to see cordless battery technology worth investing for those prolonged heavy duty jobs. i'll stick with my heavy duty corded power tools. bosch is my choice... regards

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #48  
In as much as the majority of them come from China (except Metabo and Bosch), I think at least, I don't see replacement parts or batteries being available in the future.
Some Metebo are made in Shanghai, China. Germany, France, Switzerland, Mexico, China, Hungry and Romania among others for Bosch. It's a crap shoot these days since parts can come from anywhere to be assembled and labeled. As far as batteries go, you'll be able to replace the internals yourself if it's a issue otherwise there are companies out there that'll replace the cells for you.

Rebuilding a DeWalt 18V battery pack isn't that hard but, by the time you buy the parts and the spot welder, you are ~80% of the way to a new tool with two new batteries.

I went through that about 3 months ago with a DeWalt 12V IR thermometer. One battery vs two batteries and a new drill driver was the SAME COST! Now I have a 12V and an 18V drill driver. Not a huge fan of DeWalt right now but, I needed my thermometer back in service and the cost of new one was excessive plus, a lightweight drill driver is handy for most tasks I use one for.

/ Better drill for hard use? Milwaukee M18 "2904" or ...? #50  
Rebuilding a DeWalt 18V battery pack isn't that hard but, by the time you buy the parts and the spot welder, you are ~80% of the way to a new tool with two new batteries.

I went through that about 3 months ago with a DeWalt 12V IR thermometer. One battery vs two batteries and a new drill driver was the SAME COST! Now I have a 12V and an 18V drill driver. Not a huge fan of DeWalt right now but, I needed my thermometer back in service and the cost of new one was excessive plus, a lightweight drill driver is handy for most tasks I use one for.
Most batteries come pre tabbed these days so a spot welder really isn't needed. But if you want to go that route you can make one, but it's not worth the effort unless you are planning to do a few and upgrade from nicad to lithium. I like some of my older tools vs the new ones. Just remember if you do that, you will need to change your charger but most of the new ones are backwards compatible. DeWalt batteries are overpriced, always best to buy in kit form and get multiple batteries at once, granted there will be a tool you don't care for or want in a kit.