Best sub soiler?

/ Best sub soiler? #11  
Very well put . I'am tryin to remember if HAY KING made one back in the day .......

Thanks. If Hay King made a subsoiler, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have several Hay King products, and they are very well made. Great company and really nice folks working there. Made in Taylor, Tx.

/ Best sub soiler? #12  
OP has a Deere 3038e. Pretty light tractor @ 2,175 pounds, bare tractor. About the weight of a Kubota B series. I think OP would find the TSC CountyLine Subsoiler adequate but the ETA subsoiler with shear bolt protection is the wise buy.

OP will not be able to pull either the Tufline nor Dirt Dog subsoilers more than 10" deep. I am pretty sure neither brand Subsoiler has shear bolt protection, so there is the potential for OP to pull the light Deere 3038e over backwards should unprotected heavy Subsoiler encounter something immovable under ground.

I am old and cautious. I would not want a Subsoiler lacking shear bolt protection unless my tractor had Draft Control to prevent tractor from being pulled over backward. Commencing at about 60-horsepower most tractors have Draft Control standard. Draft Control is a seldom ordered option on <60-horsepower compact tractors.

It all comes down to your budget and how much you want to spend. EA tells you the quality of steel used in their subsoiler. Lower cost units like CountyLine at Tractor Supply use a lower grade and not as durable thus the lower cost.
I speculate the TSC/CountyLine (by Tarter) Subsoiler would fold before the tractor went vertical. Not bad.
TSC has a liberal return policy for CountyLine.

Both Dirt Dog and Monroe Tufline make quality implements, I have one implement from each.

Dirt Dog is the manufacturing subsidiary of Iowa Farm Equipment. I believe Dirt Dog manufactures every implement on offer. I have ordered several implements from Iowa Farm Equipment, including my Dirt Dog APP / Field Cultivator. Customers Service has been excellent.

OP has not revealed what uses he plans for a subsoiler. For many tasks a three tine or four tine APP/Field Cultivator may serve better at just slightly increased cost. A three to four tine Field Cultivator has about the same draft force resistance as a single shank Subsoiler pulled 12" deep.

ETA offers Field Cultivators too.

IFE LINK: Iowa Farm Equipment

I am old. I get a kick ordering heavy farm implements over the internet and three days later a sixteen wheeler from NC/KY/IA arrives at the house and delivers same. Selection is so much better than "the old days" and no implement I purchased new via the internet arrived with rust.

Photos #1 - #2 Dirt Dog APP

Photo #3 Monroe Tufline Disc Harrow, 20" diameter pans.

Attachments

• DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
   / Best sub soiler?
I'm guessing it's heavier than that with FEL and filled tires.
Some of those listed are really nice, but I most likely won't be using it that much. Like the dealer friend I've known for years said a lot of attachments are until the purpose of it is served. Then it sits.

/ Best sub soiler? #14  
I'm guessing it's heavier than that with FEL and filled tires.
Some of those listed are really nice, but I most likely won't be using it that much. Like the dealer friend I've known for years said a lot of attachments are used until the purpose for which it was bought is served. Then it sits.

This is the case with my ETA Subsoiler. Probably the only implement I do not have a photo of. I mount it perhaps three times a year; just often enough to keep it.

The Dirt Dog APP/Field Cultivator is used every week.

Last edited:
   / Best sub soiler? #15  
I think this is the one I have ... painted blue:

Taylor Pittsburgh

They also have a heavier duty one:

Taylor Pittsburgh

I inherited a Taylor single shank when I purchased my farm. It is built great. I would definitely recommend going for a heavy duty shank. That $100 might sound like a lot of money, but when you have a job to do, and you break a shank or bend something, it will seem like nothing. Amortized over 20-30yrs of use, and it will more than pay for itself for consistency and availability on demand.

/ Best sub soiler? #16  
OP will not be able to pull either the Tufline nor Dirt Dog subsoilers more than 10" deep. I am pretty sure neither brand Subsoiler has shear bolt protection, so there is the potential for OP to pull the light Deere 3038e over backwards should unprotected heavy Subsoiler encounter something immovable under ground.

Shear protection is important, for sure. Just for the record, the Tufline does have shear protection, and that is one of the reasons I purchased it. Working depth of the shank depends on lots of factors, so the only way to know is to actually use it in your soil with your equipment. :)

Best of luck with whatever you decide, OP!

/ Best sub soiler? #17  
Jeff

so there is the potential for OP to pull the light Deere 3038e over backwards should unprotected heavy Subsoiler encounter something immovable under ground.

Can't imagine how this is possible, if the top link is in compression when ground is engaged. Being in compression, then the force is pushing forward. So if the laws of physics still exist..

If something were encountered that is immovable, simply would lose traction and sit and spin.. or break something.

/ Best sub soiler? #18  
Can't imagine how this is possible, if the top link is in compression when ground is engaged. Being in compression, then the force is pushing forward. So if the laws of physics still exist..

If something were encountered that is immovable, simply would lose traction and sit and spin.. or break something.

You replied to someone who had his Deere 750 absolutely vertical, balanced on the Three Point Hitch, when towing a square cut log, which encountered a rock in the ground. Deere went vertical in half a second, wheels churning, Top Link intact. If my seat belt were not fastened I would have fallen out and likely been injured. Worst case scenario, the tractor would have toppled on top of me.

Luckily I had an assistant close by. He got to me, I released belt and I had a controlled fall into my assistant's arms. We pulled the tractor down to the ground with a chain. Great crash; no tractor damage.

As I plow, I purchased optional Draft Control on my next two Kubotas. I just got off the L3560 moments ago. My (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) Subsoiler has a shear bolt. My Ford Series 101 moldboard plow has trips.

I hope you never share my experience.

Draft Control was standard equipment on the 1939 - 1949 early Ford/Ferguson tractors. Tractors were primarily used for plowing then, and Draft Control was a huge advance. Prior to Ferguson, tractors used to topple backwards quite often. With Ferguson's TPH and Draft Control tractor mortality decreased. Now few plow, and Draft Control is optional on compact tractors, but the same potentially lethal conditions exist.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.16.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.16.05 AM.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 100