Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #11  
Your operators manual should give the spec on what oil to use at a range of temperatures. Any premium oil in the viscosity ranges listed will work in your engine. I use full synthetic Mobile1 10W-40 IIRC for my Ferris mower with 23 HP Kawasaki engine at the recommendation of the dealer and will continue at least till the 4 year warranty expires. My older Craftsman mower with a 26HP Briggs engine gets Shell Rotella T6 5W-40(also a synthetic). Neither of them use any oil between their yearly oil changes.

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #12  
I just checked my Kawasaki engine recommendations and they also state using multi viscosity oils may increase oil consumption. I use 5W40 Shell Rotella and have no oil consumption between changes. I did notice that if you live in an extremely hot place (above 104F) that straight 40W is preferred oil as it has a few degrees higher operating range than 10W40 but it only goes down to about 20C. I think the best overall oil is a full synthetic in a 5W-40 weight which allows use in almost all weather conditions that one might use a lawnmower for, from gathering leaves in the cool fall to mowing grass in the hottest of summer weather.

By the way, if your hydrostatic transmission is serviceable, what type oil does your OEM recommend for that. For my Ferris it is 20W-50 conventional detergent motor oil. I am going to do my first service on it soon. The OEM says ever 200 hours, but I have 75 hours on it and think it might be good to do like the tractors recommend and get that first change in early. With about a gallon of oil and $25 in filters, I think that is cheap insurance for an expensive transmissison. I plan to check the oil for shiny particles when I dump it and also the filters.

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #14  
What ratio of oil fuel do you use in that Detroit engine?

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #15  
I just checked my Kawasaki engine recommendations and they also state using multi viscosity oils may increase oil consumption. I use 5W40 Shell Rotella and have no oil consumption between changes. I did notice that if you live in an extremely hot place (above 104F) that straight 40W is preferred oil as it has a few degrees higher operating range than 10W40 but it only goes down to about 20C. I think the best overall oil is a full synthetic in a 5W-40 weight which allows use in almost all weather conditions that one might use a lawnmower for, from gathering leaves in the cool fall to mowing grass in the hottest of summer weather.

By the way, if your hydrostatic transmission is serviceable, what type oil does your OEM recommend for that. For my Ferris it is 20W-50 conventional detergent motor oil. I am going to do my first service on it soon. The OEM says ever 200 hours, but I have 75 hours on it and think it might be good to do like the tractors recommend and get that first change in early. With about a gallon of oil and $25 in filters, I think that is cheap insurance for an expensive transmissison. I plan to check the oil for shiny particles when I dump it and also the filters.

Gary

What will you do if you see shiny particles ?

I always look at fluids that are drained. I'm not sure what can be done if you see something though. Be glad you changed the fluid I suppose.

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #16  
shiny particles on the very first oil change is somewhat normal ( bits of original machining and casting flaws) ... after that , there should be none ...if you do, then something is being eaten away inside and means a tear down is in order

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #17  
I have a Kohler command 22hp engine that is 20 years old with about 1000 hours on it. That's 20 oil chNges using nothing other than cheap 10w40 oil. Engine still purrs along. Never eats any oil. Not even a puff of smoke from the exhaust. And yes it runs hot. It loves it. It should feel like opening an oven when lifting the hood.

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #19  
I have a Kohler command 22hp engine that is 20 years old with about 1000 hours on it. That's 20 oil chNges using nothing other than cheap 10w40 oil. Engine still purrs along. Never eats any oil. Not even a puff of smoke from the exhaust. And yes it runs hot. It loves it. It should feel like opening an oven when lifting the hood.

Better than running too cold and being gummed up.

/ Best Oil for Kohler Command V -Twins #20