Best midsized SUV

/ Best midsized SUV #21  
GMC Acadia,3rd row and when folded will hold two dog boxes.Chevy Traverse even a little bigger,longer wheel base."Get the V6 before they are gone.

/ Best midsized SUV #22  
I had a Honda mini van rental on vacation. Once you get past the stigma it was actually a nice ride. I’ve had several mid size suv rentals as well and they all have a nearly useless 3rd row and a nearly useless cargo compartment if you’re using the 3rd row at the same time. The van had much more room. The vans 3rd row wasn’t unreasonable for adults to sit in and the back compartment was actually big enough to fit luggage in while the 3rd row was being used. None of the smaller suvs could do the same.

/ Best midsized SUV #23  
Any of the above have reasons to avoid at all costs? are they all fairly comparable? any known or common issues to look out for?

Glad to hear many of you have good experiences and like your vehicles. It goes to show that cars have come a long way in quality.

Any to avoid at all costs? Yes, the Dodge Journey.
I come from the dealer side (not Stellantis) so I have some background. Poor Chrysler has been bought and sold many times over the last several years, and when you are desperate to get the bottom line in order then quality control is not even on your radar.

There are so many good quality alternatives out there that you don't need to settle.

@Midniteoyl I'm glad you had good luck with yours. This is not aimed at your decision in any way.

Last edited:
   / Best midsized SUV #24  
Of the choices you listed, I'd suggest the Mazda CX-9 by a landslide. Great power trains, little problems, if any. I follow a couple different mechanics on YT and both of them rave about the quality.

I owned Mazdas for 20 years, never really had any problems with any of them. (They were sedans, not SUVs). I'd still own them, but don't have a dealer within 30 miles of us.

My 2¢.

/ Best midsized SUV #26  
Those seem to be about 50% more money for comparable age/mileage than the models I listed.

And when I check 3rd row seat in the search results 90% of them disappear....so maybe 3rd row wasnt popular in those models?

But the ones I see.....still at $35-$40k for 50,000 miles and 2019 I will take a pass on
Third row on a 4runner is tiny wife had one for a few years with it up you might be able to put a few grocery bags in the back. Super reliable though.

/ Best midsized SUV #28  
Just sold my wifes 2013 Highlander, and it was absolutely bulletproof since the day we bought it. 22 mpg

Bought a new RAV 4 hybrid, hope for the same results with increased gas mileage. 39 mpg
2006 highlander loved to drink oil, quart about every 700 miles. Plus numerous little issues. Happy when it died in wreck

/ Best midsized SUV #29  
I've owned a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander and put 100k miles on it with no issues. I wanted a V6 so I could tow our ZTR back and forth to my dads to help him mow. I found a used 2016 outlander GT with the 3.0 Mivec V6. Had the 6spd. auto transmission and gets about 21 - 24 mpg. It is not a powerhouse but better than the little 4 cylinder.

I have towed with it a bit, nothing more than 3k. It tows 3500 and sometimes it is nice to put my smaller trailers on behind it. It seats 7 though I never have.

I think Mitsubishi makes one of the best valued vehicles out there. They do not hold their resale because Mitsubishi has a stigma from some of their crappy cars. But the Outlanders are solid in my opinion. Mine was made in Japan. It has been bullet proof. I now have about 125k miles on it with no problems.

I can tell you if I were to wreck mine tomorrow, I would be looking for another V6 GT the next day.

Last edited:
   / Best midsized SUV #30  
Looking to upgrade to a midsized SUV. Currently have a jeep compass and with kids getting older....its just getting a little small. Finding more and more reasons for a 3rd row seat and/or the ability to fold them down and have more cargo room.

5 models keep coming up in my search parameters. Which is 2018+ with under 60k miles

Dodge journey seems to be the cheapest option.
But also looking at:
Nissan pathfinder
Kia sorento
GMC acadia
Mazda CX-9

Prices for an AWD 2018-2020 models with ~40-60k miles well equipped and leather seem to be $18k-$28k ballpark.

Just window shopping at the moment and would like to hone in on a single make/model or two. Any of the above have reasons to avoid at all costs? are they all fairly comparable? any known or common issues to look out for?

Just looking for some real world experience from others that may have been down this road shopping for a mid-sized SUV. And what lead you to buy what you did or avoid what you did. Or any other models to consider.

Don't rule out mini vans, most would have a 3rd row seating.

"The issue is cargo space. The compass....try cramming in 2 lawn chains, two ball bags, 5-gal bucket of balls, coaches duffle with catchers gear, couple blankets, and a fold-up wagon.....all to tote to the ballfields a few times a week. Can be challenging."

maybe - crew cab pickup with bench seats and canopy ???

Last edited: