Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow

/ Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Without deference to brand loyalty, does anyone have a clear preference to a certain brand of skid loader and why?

Just now starting to look. Would prefer pre emissions. Definitely want a tracked machine.

Gravitated towards Deere (like a 333) and CAT (like a 297), but would buy any well known & supported brand.

Was really hot on JCB teleskid, but they top out at 74HP. Want to be above 90HP to run mulcher and push heavy piles.

/ Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow #2  
ASV model RT120 was the best machine we tested for running a mulcher head also smoothest ride. The Other brands tested did not provide the same hi flow performance.

This is from testing mulcher heads on multiple brands of machines 3 or 4 years ago.

/ Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow
I would say running a mulcher head will be a semi-large priority, but the greatest hours of use will be loading/pushing brush and logs.

I also noticed the ASV120 has a Cummins 4 cylinder with much more torque than all the other 90+ HP models.

Last edited:
Here’s an ASV-120 with forestry package I am going to rent to own for a week

1711992620438.jpeg

Some say the ASV’s lack dump height for dumping into dump trucks.

/ Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow #6  
I really like the Kubota 75s but that’s not what I would buy for mulching. You definitely want all the power you can get. I don’t think the Cat and Deere machines are worth the big cost premium over a Kubota. If I was wanting a mulching machine with little regards for cost I’d ditch the whole skid steer idea and get something heavier duty. None of the skid loaders seem to have adequate power and cooling for the job.

I really like the Kubota 75s but that’s not what I would buy for mulching. You definitely want all the power you can get. I don’t think the Cat and Deere machines are worth the big cost premium over a Kubota. If I was wanting a mulching machine with little regards for cost I’d ditch the whole skid steer idea and get something heavier duty. None of the skid loaders seem to have adequate power and cooling for the job.

ASV does. In fact, they prove it with testing.
Their skid loader is the best for keeping cool while mulching, but it’s not the best for loading. The loader won’t load tall dump trucks as well (reach height isn’t that great)
I’d like to try both an ASV and a Takeuchi 100+HP each for a week and see how they work. Tak has nice power and a really spacious cab, which I like cause I’m kind of claustrophobic.

/ Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow #8  
Their skid loader is the best for keeping cool while mulching, but it’s not the best for loading. The loader won’t load tall dump trucks as well (reach height isn’t that great)
I’d like to try both an ASV and a Takeuchi 100+HP each for a week and see how they work. Tak has nice power and a really spacious cab, which I like cause I’m kind of claustrophobic.

I’ve seen people putting mulching heads on small dozers with auxiliary power packs mounted on the back. I like that approach a lot better. The dozer is sealed up better and less prone to burn like the skid steers do. The metal tracks aren’t going to get chewed up by stobs like the rubber ones do and you could push as much power and cooling as you need with the auxiliary unit. You could easily put a 4bt Cummins back there, that’s more power than the skid steer has to start with without loosing the power to move the skid steer.

The ASV-120 has a 4BT Cummins and a lot more torque than the competitors.
I’m pretty sure it’s overkill for me, so I am looking at “normal” large frame skid steers. I like the cab size and lift height of the Tak better.

Last edited:
   / Best large frame skid loader with tracks & hi-flow #10  
I think you will like the roll-up overhead door like is on the Kubota and Takeuchi, that was a must for me, you can roll the door up and exit the cab with the arms lifted in any position, to me that is priceless.