Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #1  

RedNeckGeek

Tractor
Kubota M62, Kubota L3240D HST (SOLD!), Kubota RTV900
Years ago I got a free pair of gloves at Harbor Freight with a coupon, and I used them for many years loading firewood into the wood stove. They were what we used to call Casey Jones gloves, with cloth backs and leather sewn over the palms and fingers. This particular pair had orange cloth and black leather. When they finally wore out earlier this year, I swung by HF and picked up what looked like another pair.

Used 'em three hours splitting firewood, and the base of one of the fingers blew out, tearing most of the way through the palm.
HarborFreightGloves.jpg

I was a little upset until I looked at the receipt and found they were only two bux a pair. I guess you do get what you pay for. But then I compared the new gloves against the old pair, and the old pair had two layers of leather on the palms, and the rest of the leather was much thicker. The old pair was a much better pair of gloves, but I guess they don't make 'em like they used to. I was in HF yesterday and saw they were selling another style of Casey Jones glove, this time with green leather. The leather looked thicker, and they sure fit better than the new gloves, so I'll be giving 'em a try next time I'm running the splitter.

I've tried cow, goat, deer, and elk skin gloves as well, and none of them seem to hold up as well as those old freebe HF gloves, which apparently aren't available anymore. So I thought I'd check here on TBN for advise, but my searches weren't specific to use of the gloves when handling firewood. My question for the experts then, is what glove holds up best when working with firewood?

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #2  
RNG - it's like a lot of other stuff in our life. The greedy profit motif has developed into a practice used in manufacture of many products. It's called - Engineered Obsolescence.

About 40 years ago we moved down from Alaska to the property here. I fell and burned our Ponderosa pine. I wore full cow skin gloves during the process. If I was careful and handled them properly - one pair would normally last a year.

Right now I use heavy leather gloves from a company - Aerostich. I use their "Competition" glove. Not at all cheap. The pair I use around the property has lasted me five + years now. Perhaps they last so long because I don't burn wood any more - ??

Last edited:
   / Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #3  
Costco sells the obligatory ranch hand yellow leather gloves. Three pair for $20. They seem to do ok for the price.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?
Right now I use heavy leather gloves from a company - Aerostich. I use their "Competition" glove. Not at all cheap. The pair I use around the property has lasted me five + years now. Perhaps they last so long because I don't burn wood any more - ??
Small world, oosik! I rotate my elk skin ropers to firewood duty when they get to raggety for riding. I have something like four Aerostich suits going back to the early '80s. Some of them, unfortunately, have been crash tested, fortunately with excellent results. But like you, I'd like to find a reasonably priced glove and just keep them on hand for firewood processing without having to replace them a couple times a year.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood?
Umm, why?
Because those gloves lasted so long there was no need to replace them? :D

Seriously, some of the oak is really rough after it's split, like handling rose stems. I got tired of getting splinters.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #7  
I use the HF rubber coated gloves for handling firewood. The palms grip damp wood well and they last for a cord or two. For the price around a buck and a half now, their worth it. I still use leather gloves for cutting wood, chainsaws don't mess around.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #8  
For handling firewood? Get youself a pair of Stihl Timbersports gloves. :cool:

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #9  
I use regular leather 'rigger' gloves for practically everything around the property... one dedicated 'general use' pair and one pair for wood handling. They last about a year each for the tasks.

As for loading the wood-heater, I employ a pair of welding gauntlets.

/ Best Gloves for Handling Firewood? #10  
Right on - RedNeckGeek. Riding season is getting real close here. I use the Roadcrafter Classic jacket and a double layer set of jeans. Several sets of boots - Combat Lite if I'm going on a long trip. I always take two pair of Aerostich gloves with me. Elk skin ropers and a pair of their lined gauntlets. I HATE riding in the rain but spring riding - some times it's unavoidable.

I rode Harley's for 25 years. Now I'm a real softie. BMW R1200 GSA with HEATED grips. I'm completely surprised how much WARM hands help keep the whole body comfortable.

BTW - I ALWAYS wore gloves handling fire wood. From felling my ancient Ponderosa pines - all the way to loading the wood stove. Some enjoy showing their scars - I enjoy protecting my hands.