Best front tire for loader work?

/ Best front tire for loader work? #1  

Morning Wood

Gold Member
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve got a Ford 1720 with R1 tires. We seem to chew through the front tires
pretty quickly because we use the loader a lot. I like the traction of the R1, but wondering if a R4 or R14 will hold up better. Also, would I be able to put a different tire on the same wheel, or would I need new wheels too?
Thanks,
Nick.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #2  
View attachment 777236View attachment 777235
I’ve got a Ford 1720 with R1 tires. We seem to chew through the front tires
pretty quickly because we use the loader a lot. I like the traction of the R1, but wondering if a R4 or R14 will hold up better. Also, would I be able to put a different tire on the same wheel, or would I need new wheels too?
Thanks,
Nick.
From past articles I've read R4 was the winner for weight carrying ability not sure how they compare to R14 I agree the larger lugs on R1 give the best traction.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #3  
An R4 is a lot beefier tire and stands up to loader work a lot better. They’re wider and probably can’t use the same wheels though.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #4  
R4s are well proven. the 1s on both of my tractors are the same on my brother in laws skid steer. I'm hear good things about the R14s. but the price is almost double of the R4s from what I have seen so far.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #5  
What ply rating are those R1 tires. Going to heavier ply will help with load carrying.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #6  
I tried turfs wasn't impress R4's heck of lot better.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #7  
R4 tires will have the highest load carrying capability, but traction sucks on anything other than hard packed surfaces. The factory R2 front tires on my Kubota L5740 would be nearly flattened with a full loader bucket, but I found a 8 ply version of the same factory 6 ply R1 tire, and it has made all the difference. BKT tires. Just make sure it's the 8 ply varient. You get the extra load capacity for loader work, but don't give up that great R1 traction.

/ Best front tire for loader work? #8  
I saw some 7-14” 8 ply R1 tires.

What ply are yours?

Last edited:
   / Best front tire for loader work? #9  
On a little tractor like that, some 10 or 14 ply pickup truck mud grips.