best .243 youth rifle?

/ best .243 youth rifle? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My daughter is 9 and currently uses a circuit judge with .45 long colts but it is just a little too long a stock for her. Would like to get her a youth model .243 for her to use instead. Just curious as to what you guys feel is the best out there.

/ best .243 youth rifle? #2  
Robert,

Some youth rifles I am familiar with are the Ruger 77 compact, Browning X-bolt Micro Midas, and the Savage. I researched these when helping my fiancé pick out a rifle, as well as one for my nephew who was 9 at the time. These models all have a 12"LOP-aroung 1/2" shorter than most youth/ladies rifles

Will

/ best .243 youth rifle? #3  
We looked at quite a few and felt that the Remington 700 youth model was the nicest by far. Top of the price range, but for something like this, we felt the extra money wasn't a big concern over the life of the rifle. One thing that we realized while comparing the different brands is that most youth rifles are cheaply built so they can sell for a low price point because they are just temporary. Once the youth gets bigger, they get a bigger rifle. For your daughter, it's up to you and her if she will outgrow a youth sized rifle and want something bigger. If that is the case, then it does make sense to get her something to learn with, but not her lifelong hunting rifle.

Eddie

/ best .243 youth rifle? #4  
for length/size issues. what about one of those single shot H&R / NEF break open or single shot rifles?

/ best .243 youth rifle? #5  
I'd recommend either the Savage Axis or Ruger American. These recent introductions are value-priced, but modern quality pieces of good o'all design. (function, ergonomics) Both offer compact/youth models in .243, including camo & lady-like color options for the Axis. Both also have detachable magazines (meh) and user-adjustable triggers (yes!). I'd gladly hunt with either of these and not feel under-gunned with the caliber or o'all length. (Ruger's 'youth' has 18" barrel & Sav's has 20" if that matters)

Your little lady may feel she's outgrown the caliber someday, but not necessarily the rifle. As long-armed as I am I find it so true that a tall person can handle (aim) a compact much better than one of small stature can handle a full-size rifle (14" LOP, etc). That said, there's much to be said about using a slip-over pad later on to bring the sights/scope up to the eye without tilting the head so far. If she becomes attached to the particular gun that option will always be there.

Two of my .243s are NEFs and I like 'em, but if your young hunter will likely be shooting bolt actions as she gets older (Rem, Browning, etc) it's never to soon to get her acquainted with working/clearing the action, and working the safety. Fit to the shooter is very important so I'd advise that you have her try out each possible candidate, whichever you consider.

/ best .243 youth rifle? #6  
   / best .243 youth rifle?
Thanks, she just got a Beretta tikka in .270 today and the .243 is going to be the gun she uses till she is able to handle the tikka.

/ best .243 youth rifle? #8  
Thanks, she just got a Beretta tikka in .270 today and the .243 is going to be the gun she uses till she is able to handle the tikka.
Get an extra stock for the Tika and have it cut down to fit and add a really good recoil pad. Get some reduced recoil ammo and rock on with the .270! If you can get it fit to her it ain't much different in kick than the 243

/ best .243 youth rifle? #9  
I sold a lot of the single shot rossi kits that came in .243 and your choice of 410 or 20 gauge. Switch out the barrels and you could hunt all seasons. The one I like most though (we didn't have that Remington) was the savage with the acc-trigger.
A lot depends on how much do you want to spend. ~$120(100 on sale) for the rossi, I cant remember for the savage now.
'

/ best .243 youth rifle? #10  

So who's going to be using the Tikka 'til she's ready? Hmmmm?:laughing: