Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire?

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #1  

LDR812

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D, MF 165
I’m building fence for cattle - in central Fl. Using wood corner posts, h-braces and metal posts (6.5 foot) - metal posts are every 10 foot with h-braces every 100 foot. I’m trying to decide between the high tensile strength Bekaert fence (14 gauge knotted) and Red Brand 10/12 gauge. Planning on 48 inch high rolls and then 1 or 2 barbed wire above that. Ground is fairly flat/level. Runs are straight and the longest will be about 1300 ft. Anyone have experience with those brands of fencing? Thanks

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #2  
I’m building fence for cattle - in central Fl. Using wood corner posts, h-braces and metal posts (6.5 foot) - metal posts are every 10 foot with h-braces every 100 foot. I’m trying to decide between the high tensile strength Bekaert fence (14 gauge knotted) and Red Brand 10/12 gauge. Planning on 48 inch high rolls and then 1 or 2 barbed wire above that. Ground is fairly flat/level. Runs are straight and the longest will be about 1300 ft. Anyone have experience with those brands of fencing? Thanks
I have used Redhead brand and a high tensile brand woven wire fencing. First, every 100’ is way overkill for h braces. For only 1300’ feet, I would only use 2 h braces in line and of course at the corners and gates. The Red head will work fine for your intended use. High tensile is amazing in its durability and non sag qualities, but high tensile woven wire is very hard to work with, especially when wrapping the ends. Still it’s very strong. Either will work for the type of fence you’re building.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire?
Thanks for the information. I figured 100 ft is overkill - just kind of looked at some of the neighbors fences and went from there. Figured I’d do this first run and see.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #4  
Thanks for the information. I figured 100 ft is overkill - just kind of looked at some of the neighbors fences and went from there. Figured I’d do this first run and see.
Make sure the crosspiece in the h brace is long. About 6’. Most people make them too short, then the wire tension pulls them.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire?
Yes - I’m using mostly 5-6 inch diameter posts that are 8ft long. Augaring in 3ft and making the horizontal h-brace 7 to 8 foot long. I’m placing the center of the horizontal at about 42 inches. Sound about right?

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #6  
Yes - I’m using mostly 5-6 inch diameter posts that are 8ft long. Augaring in 3ft and making the horizontal h-brace 7 to 8 foot long. I’m placing the center of the horizontal at about 42 inches. Sound about right?
That sounds like it will work fine.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #7  
Make sure the crosspiece in the h brace is long. About 6’. Most people make them too short, then the wire tension pulls them.
That is to short the horizontal needs to be 8'-10' for a 48+" fence depending on how tall and heavy it is.
Most fence builders use double 8' horizontal(double h brace) at all ends and 90 degree turns.

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #8  
I have the Red brand fences around my pasture, also in 1300 ft runs, h brace every 300 ft. The fence is 34 years old, and has been maintained and occasionally repaired when trees fall on them. It will work just fine if you take care of it.

That said, my commercial vineyard has 7 ft high tensile fence around it. It was harder to install for sure, but it is a thing of beauty once installed. There are a lot of critters that try to defeat it, and get to the grapes, but none have ever gotten inside. Unless of course, stupid owner forgets to close the gate at night. ;)

/ Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #9  
That is to short the horizontal needs to be 8'-10' for a 48+" fence depending on how tall and heavy it is.
Most fence builders use double 8' horizontal(double h brace) at all ends and 90 degree turns.
Definitely better. But I see a lot of people doing even shorter than 6’, so that was my caution. I have a single h at all my corners and 1700’ stretches. But they are welded pipe braces set in concrete. Been holding tight for 16 years. Woven wire doesn’t require as much bracing as high tensile smooth wire stretched tight. It’s hard to get the stretch on woven wire that you can on single wires. One thing about my initial response and stretch panel h’s: my comment was thinking about flat ground. On rolling ground, you need more stretch panels.

On high tensile wire, I love working with single smooth wires with tightening drums, but not so much the woven wire high tensile. All of the splices and wraps on that stiff wire will definitely make your wrist hurt.

Last edited:
   / Bekaert or Red Brand field fence wire? #10  
I space my H braces according to my fence roll length. My horse fencing came in 100', 200' and 300' rolls. I used 200' rolls.