Buying Advice Before you buy a TYM, try this

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #1  

drlafreniere

Tractor
JD 3400D
Hi All:

Maybe I can spare some heartache here. I recently bought a TYM 394 with FEL and hydrostatic transmission. It's a decent little tractor with a good Yanmar engine, BUT....

I'm at 50 hours on it, and it's time to do the first oil change and the initial hydro fluid change. Don't worry, this is the interval for a new tractor and the hours are much longer for the next change.

Getting parts for these things is a bear! You have to call the dealership you got it from, or email them (unfortunately my dealer's email address online bounces back to me.)

There does not seem to be a simple, easy online shopping site to just click and get your parts. And TYM itself is pretty poor at answering emails. They'll just point you back to your dealer.

So....if you're like me and you want to get your parts by going online, clicking a few spots, and waiting for the UPS man, you'd be better off with several other brands. Heck, it was easier to get parts for my 70+ year old 9N or my 35 year old grey market Yanmar than for my year old TYM.

Just something for you all to consider.

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #2  
:welcome: to TBN.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #3  
I don't own a TYM, but if I did, I'd just go back to my dealer and buy the filters I need.

IN FACT, I make a point of talking my dealer into "throwing in" (to close the deal) all the filters I need for the first change for FREE, when I buy any new tractor.

Then, LATER when I'm near my dealer, I pick up another set to have on hand...

BTW, I do have a TYM dealer and he DOES stock filters ect...

SR

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #4  
We own TYM and have no issues with filters or any parts for that matter to get from the dealer. If your email bounces back then you might have a typo in it. I bet the dealer has a phone.
We got ours from Brown Implement in Cumming. He has any filter and all common parts in stock.
Call or email:
Owner: Brad Brown
Office: 515-981-4393
Fax: 515-981-8740
Email: brownequipia@gmail.com

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #5  
"Before you buy a TYM, try this"

Try what? :confused3:

Try making an actual phone call...???

Your 'Location' has me wondering. :rolleyes:

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #6  
Different mindsets I suspect.

I get what the O.P. is saying... Some of you may be have a dealer 20 miles away, some of you may like missing work to go get parts from a dealer, some of you may actually be farmers with no time clock/boss and can go any day you get a bit of time... But some of us (myself included) for the most part buys any and all items on the web and has the items delivered in short order. Many of us (myself included) am up for work at 0430 and do not get back home until 5PM... So online ordering of car parts, hobby items, vitamins, ammunition, household supplies and much more is a way of life and an expectation in todays modern world with sites like Amazon that spoil us fantastically!

Then you have to wonder if this fellow may have driven 4 hours (or more?) to purchase the tractor at some far off, distant dealership? Maybe he bought it and had it shipped in? Maybe he bought it used? Just maybe he has no dealer within any reasonable distance, so he wants/expects a reasonable thing.... click and buy like he may do for most all things in his life.

Also, his Google-Foo may be lacking.... I flexed a bit of mine and got this as a recommended Idaho based shop to order TYM parts from... Jordan Sales in Post Falls Idaho, 208-777-0234, JORDAN SALES AND SERVICE IS YOUR RURAL LIFESTYLE DEALER . I LOVE MY TRACTOR .

These fellows are suggested as a place to call for TYM parts: Smith's Enterprise

And one final place to get a hold of for TYM parts that I see with a few seconds of Googel based action:
Big Red's Equipment
817-573-3930
Big Red's Equipment in Granbury, TX | Home of the Texas-Sized TRACTOR & MOWER PACKAGE DEAL!

So with that, you should be able to reach out and get what you need coming on a brown truck.

Be happy and prosper :)

Larry

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #7  
With a little searching you can easily find replacement filters for TYM machines, I think the only the hydro filter can not be outsourced. You might want to check your local auto parts store with your filter sizes. Also if you have a Mahindra dealer near by. The 25xx series is made by TYM. Also add in there Rural King and maybe even Cabelas might still have some stuff hanging around the store for them.

Also TYM makes the tractor. They have dealers sell, fix and service them. I can't call Ford headquarters and get parts for my vehicle. They would say go to one of our dealerships. They can help you. Contacting the manufacturer should be for major problems that a dealer cannot resolve.

Last edited:
   / Before you buy a TYM, try this #8  
Different mindsets I suspect.

I get what the O.P. is saying... Some of you may be have a dealer 20 miles away, some of you may like missing work to go get parts from a dealer, some of you may actually be farmers with no time clock/boss and can go any day you get a bit of time... But some of us (myself included) for the most part buys any and all items on the web and has the items delivered in short order. Many of us (myself included) am up for work at 0430 and do not get back home until 5PM... So online ordering of car parts, hobby items, vitamins, ammunition, household supplies and much more is a way of life and an expectation in todays modern world with sites like Amazon that spoil us fantastically!

Then you have to wonder if this fellow may have driven 4 hours (or more?) to purchase the tractor at some far off, distant dealership? Maybe he bought it and had it shipped in? Maybe he bought it used? Just maybe he has no dealer within any reasonable distance, so he wants/expects a reasonable thing.... click and buy like he may do for most all things in his life.
Larry

Did he order the tractor from Amazon too???

He should have bought filters then, or "maybe" he really does get over that way, once in a while...

IF needed, call the dealer, have them send you the filters. :confused2: lol...

SR

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #9  
I understand the OP's point. We live in a click and ship world. Things like filters and common parts should be easy to get. Shouldn't have to go to the dealership or call them if you don't want to.

I work a "regular job", tractoring is not my job. So often it is when I get home or on the weekends that I have time to devote to ordering filters, parts etc etc. If I cannot do it online that just makes it all the more difficult.

Would it have caused me to choose a different color of tractor? Only if it was a toss up between two that I like equally well.

/ Before you buy a TYM, try this #10  
1 whole post for the OP...
and it is interesting that the tractor listed in the avatar is a JD not his new TYM...??

once you have a valid part # either OEM or aftermarket should be good to go. unless the tractor has an unmarked filter those #s on the side generally mean something:)

I will admit walking into a JD dealership for filters or going on line for parts is easy. maybe something for TYM to aspire to.

as for my somewhat terse response- It just came across as if TYM should not be considered because of a sent back email for a filter

. Jordan has a parts request form also:Part Request from Jordan Sales and Service