Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #91  
Do you have to buy mason bees or do they just show up if you make site/nest area for them?

/ Beekeeping #92  
Is there a good book for total novices that explains everything in very simple terms? My wife really wants bees. And happy wife, happy life. We would like to find a step by step list with everything we need to get started. If something like that exists?
Right there with you, my friend.

Mine is going to a class in New Summerfield. East Texas Beekeepers. A bit of hands-on. $100. I think it is next week.

/ Beekeeping #95  
I will say, using horizontal hives is MUCH less physically taxing than using a vertical hive. I’d suggest someone wanting to use Langstroth hives, actually go do a hive inspection or honey harvest mid summer on one. One box can weigh 50 pounds. And, you agitate the heck out of the bees as you split the hive in half, or worse.
I’ve seen people leave beekeeping due to the physical requirements of using Langstroth hives. Some have experimented with horizontal Langstroth hives, but the frames are too shallow, and the bees don’t fare well. They do this because they have a plethora of Langstroth frames. It’s easier to start beekeeping, where you want to end… otherwise changing your practices becomes too costly.

/ Beekeeping #96  
Oh, I guess it’s Keeping Bees With a Smile. It’s on my shelf. There is also a plethora of information at horizontalhive.com

Im not affiliated with Leo, but I’ve learned a lot from him. And if you email him, he will respond within a day typically.

/ Beekeeping #97  
Do you have to buy mason bees or do they just show up if you make site/nest area for them?
We have them here, and they take care of themselves, but if extra nesting tubes are made available, they seem to use them. The species are fairly specific on tube diameter, so either use a variety and see what works, or figure out your local species in advance.

I once found an old nest in antique light fixture, packed with carefully cut rose petals around the egg cases. It was very pretty, and I was glad to discover that they weren't the current generation.

You can buy them.

All the best,

Peter

/ Beekeeping #98  
Is there a good book for total novices that explains everything in very simple terms? My wife really wants bees. And happy wife, happy life. We would like to find a step by step list with everything we need to get started. If something like that exists?
There are lots of books, but finding your local beekeeping club that offers classes and a mentor are MUCH better. If your wife wants bees, she should get involved with a club. Around here they teach classes Dec-Mar, and new bees are started in April/May. I'm sure beekeeping in Texas is different than in NY. A mentor can help you know what to do and when. A book is great for learning outside the class and a mentor.

One of the very first things that was said at my first class was that there is no one right way to keep bees. I still remember that to this day. I would not recommend starting by keeping bees in a manner that is not common in your area. Horizontal beekeeping has its advantages, but also comes with significant disadvantages. Without a mentor with many years of experience keeping bees in that manner, is just asking for a problem.

/ Beekeeping #99  
I was very surprised reading that you should put a screen over a Mason Bee "hotel", while they are hibernating, so woodpeckers don't eat them. WE HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES WITH WOOD PECKERS 'ROUND HERE. :( I think my BIL has ill will towards me. He gave us his used little Bambeco house, but left out the Bamboo straws. Spent two hours making holes in untreated wood blocks to made my own. Then I looked up what a new one would cost with the straws..... $12.... He must be laughing at me right about now.

bee house.jpg

/ Beekeeping #100  
The funny thing about keeping bees in a horizontal hive is... The beekeeper doesn't do anything that requires education. General knowledge of bees is good, but as far as management practices... We don't manage bees. God made them to be independent... We don't manipulate frames, boxes, feed, treat with chemicals. I fill it with frames in April. I pull 10 frames in September.