Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
5 times in the last 3 years a 500lb bear estimated by law enforcement has done property damage to the cabin in Tahoe.

The first two times it ripped the pipe off the propane tank losing 450 gallons the first time and nothing the second because the valve was off which turns out to be a violation but I digress.

Second and Third times bear ripped off siding attempting to get in crawl space.

Early this morning bear made kindling of the front door and trashed the inside.

We have been in Tahoe since the 1930's and never a single issue until 3 years ago.

Located in a residential subdivision of small lots, city streets, street lights, year round neighbors etc.

Police told me Do Not threaten or hurt the bear... the penalties are severe if a bear is injured due to property damage.

I said what if I'm sleeping in the bedroom and a bear comes in... the officer said Black Bears only want food and you are not food...

Is this really how it is in 2022...???

Attachments

• IMG_1684.JPG
    IMG_1684.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 138
   / Bear Trouble #2  
Sorry for your troubles. There’s an interesting article in National Geographic (last month, I believe) that reports how animals are adapting to humans. The article uses raccoons, coyotes, and black bears, specifically around Taho and the Appalachians.

The reason with bears is people don’t secure their garbage, bird feeders, or worse yet, feed them on purpose. Blame your neighbors, not the laws.

/ Bear Trouble
My neighbors are fastidious year rounders.... garbage service is mandatory and they all use plate steel bear proof garbage can holders.

The officer actually blamed us for leaving the home unoccupied for long periods... he said it is rare for occupied homes to have bear trouble.

It doesn't make sense to me... Hank the Tank has no fear of humans...

Suggested fortifying homes saying concrete block and heavy metal doors and perimeter hot wires and dogs effective...

We have rancher friends that either collect bounty on prediters or receive gov reimbursement for livestock lost.

Doesn't seem to carryover to a man's home...

No food value in a propane tank... been told bears like to play by climbing and rolling off...

Neighbor just called back and said I hope you aren't upset with the bear?

/ Bear Trouble #4  
My friend, Darcy Staver was killed by a small Black Bear in 1992 just right up the road from me. She was very athletic but was no match for that bear that actively stalked and killed her. Very sad.

Aggressive bears need to be dead or relocated.

/ Bear Trouble
Im having a hard time understanding the thinking it's ok for a bear to damage property because it's just nature...

My Tahoe city has 30 documented Black Bears roaming city streets and an entire Protect the Bears non-profit advocating on their behalf.

The conventional wisdom is this is the time of year Black Bears look for a comfortable place to winter... making an unoccupied home attractive.

Have a neighbor a few streets over issued a depreciation permit after one of his horses attacked by a mountain lion on its flank...

Maybe because a horse is livestock???

Last edited:
   / Bear Trouble #6  
I had a friend that had a run in with a brown bear. Lost one arm and had half of one side of his head chewed off. He survived but YEARS of reconstructive surgery.

They were over on Katmai Lk/Katmai Nat Park - taking pictures of the bears catching salmon. One of the bears took exception and attacked him. During a very brief pause in this attack - his wife stepped in and killed the bear. Four shots with a 12 gauge put the bear down.

Bear comes on my property and starts tearing things up - that bear is DEAD.

Crazy California - crazy laws regarding wildlife.

/ Bear Trouble #7  
Sorry to hear about your problems. Most of my friends with cabins up at Tahoe have been having more problems with bears in the last decade. Doors, windows, siding ripped open.

Yes to hot wire electrical fence, and definitely yes to upping the door and window security. European style roll shutters for doors and windows are great. Metal framed metal doors for commercial use against vandals are great. The goal is trying to make your cabin neither fun nor easy. So, yes, I would bury the propane tank or enclose it in chain link. There are more bears around these days, so I think that this is the new reality, and as @MossRoad points out lots of unsophisticated humans are leaving food around so bears have learned that cabins mean food. Bears are strong and smart, so upping your game is unlikely to be simple, straightforward, or cheap.

I would add don't leave food in the cabin, but you probably do it already.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Bear Trouble #8  
We built a log cabin when we lived in Alaska. It was in black bear country. The cabin was up on sono tubes - so the bears could not reach the windows.

They left some mighty viscous claw marks on our door but never got in.

An old sourdough trick to slow the bears down. Half sheet of 1/2 in plywood. Air powered staple gun and a bucket load of staples. Shoot a staple thru the plywood on a 2" grid - over the entire sheet.

Turn it over so exposed staples are up. Put it right in front of the door. Put a sign on the door to let friendly visitors know of this situation.

This little trick totally stopped bears at our front door.

I found that many of the staples were bent over. There were bloody bear paw prints on the plywood also.

So I then went to 2 and a half inch and three inch trumpet head wood screws.

This solved the "bear at the door" problem for the six years we had the cabin.

/ Bear Trouble #9  
We built a log cabin when we lived in Alaska. It was in black bear country. The cabin was up on sono tubes - so the bears could not reach the windows.

They left some mighty viscous claw marks on our door but never got in.

An old sourdough trick to slow the bears down. Half sheet of 1/2 in plywood. Air powered staple gun and a bucket load of staples. Shoot a staple thru the plywood on a 2" grid - over the entire sheet.

Turn it over so exposed staples are up. Put it right in front of the door. Put a sign on the door to let friendly visitors know of this situation.

This little trick totally stopped bears at our front door.

I found that many of the staples were bent over. There were bloody bear paw prints on the plywood also.

So I then went to 2 and a half inch and three inch trumpet head wood screws.

This solved the "bear at the door" problem for the six years we had the cabin.
I'll pass this "tip" along to my son in Markleeville Calif. The bear are a daily thing in his neighborhood.
Markleeville is just south of SLT.
I've been there, seen 'em . Yup, a daily thing. I can't imagine needing to be "Bear aware" every time you approach or leave your residence.

With that, A young black bear went though the backyard at our place a couple summers ago, and the bird feeder got pulled down only last spring.

"In a conflict between man and the beasts, I think I should side with the Bears"

/ Bear Trouble
Sorry to hear about your problems. Most of my friends with cabins up at Tahoe have been having more problems with bears in the last decade. Doors, windows, siding ripped open.

Yes to hot wire electrical fence, and definitely yes to upping the door and window security. European style roll shutters for doors and windows are great. Metal framed metal doors for commercial use against vandals are great. The goal is trying to make your cabin neither fun nor easy. So, yes, I would bury the propane tank or enclose it in chain link. There are more bears around these days, so I think that this is the new reality, and as @MossRoad points out lots of unsophisticated humans are leaving food around so bears have learned that cabins mean food. Bears are strong and smart, so upping your game is unlikely to be simple, straightforward, or cheap.

I would add don't leave food in the cabin, but you probably do it already.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter
Yep… no food on cabin… refrigerator empty with door left open…

It is all wood sided so really as simple as prying off a few boards and busting studs and you are in.

All trash packed and brought home… Never use the mandatory garbage service as pickup is Wednesday.

Maybe time to surrender?

My plate is full these last couple of years…

Just spoke to someone in Alaska and they never leave the house unarmed and it’s because of the bears.

So if you Bear spray a bear wouldn’t it simply get more determined?

Our letter carrier used an entire can of dog repellant and the pit bull still latched onto her leg as she retreated to the mail truck.