Be carefull about getting burned on the farm

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
A good friend just called me. His adult son was working on his farm and was burned over 45% of his body.

Air lifted to burn unit, 2 kin grafts and surgeries already.

be carefull out there guys.

If anyone knows Ron or Cody Kammer, here is a link to the Cody Kammer burn fund.

Cody's Burn Fund

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #2  
I hate to hear this. Anytime someone is burned is a terrible tragedy. I had an uncle who lived most of his life on a farm. He also worked for VDOT and ran equipment. After he retired they moved into town. One day while cutting grass, for some reason he drove off of a rock retaining wall and flipped the the mower over on him. Somehow leaking gas got on him and he was set on fire. There was no witnesses to see exactly what happened. A neighbor found him on the road where he crawled to and the mower still on fire. He was transported to Winston Salem to a burn ward. He made it there 4 months. He was brought back to the New River Valley where he died 2 days later. That's been four years ago and I think about him when I mow near the pond or out at the road. I even regraded a ditch bank to make it safer to cut.
So I am truly sorry to hear of this. If you think of some of the stuff we do its a wonder there's not more fires.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #3  
I work in construction, sometimes industrial where safety is part of the business. Anyway, while looking up different safety topics you run in to the figures of how man accidents happen in each field. Farm injuries and deaths are way at the top.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm
Yeah it's terrible.

every time I hop off a tractor to remove a gas line to change a filter or something and think about hot manifold and gas line, or spraying some cleaner in a carb and it pops back.. and you just don't think about the 'what if' it pops back and sets something / me/ on fire.

Anyway, I talk to Ron alot. used to talk to him daily, or at least email him daily. this year we have both been busy with work, and he moved, but we still talk on the phone or email weekly. When he texted me last saturday his son was burned and flown out to the burn unit my heart dropped.

His son is training and waiting to get a job with Homeland Security. I hope his recovery times up and he still gets the job.... just dam sad I tell you.

Anyway, the family is trying to get his burn fund link out to a few tractor and farm boards to speread the word about burn safety, and see if they can get some support for the bills. They had no insurance. Just a sad matter.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #5  
I set my log splitter on fire spraying carb cleaner in it and it backfired. I was blowin on it like Liberace. I remember kids putting lighter fluid on their hand and lighting it and waving it around until it burned out.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #6  
I set my log splitter on fire spraying carb cleaner in it and it backfired. I was blowin on it like Liberace. I remember kids putting lighter fluid on their hand and lighting it and waving it around until it burned out.
In HS we had a guy who would put lighter fluid in his mouth, then set it on fire as he exhaled. We all thought that it was funny at the time.
Soundguy, I hope that your friend's son makes a quick and complete discovery.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #7  
Yeah it's terrible.

every time I hop off a tractor to remove a gas line to change a filter or something and think about hot manifold and gas line, or spraying some cleaner in a carb and it pops back.. and you just don't think about the 'what if' it pops back and sets something / me/ on fire.

Anyway, I talk to Ron alot. used to talk to him daily, or at least email him daily. this year we have both been busy with work, and he moved, but we still talk on the phone or email weekly. When he texted me last saturday his son was burned and flown out to the burn unit my heart dropped.

His son is training and waiting to get a job with Homeland Security. I hope his recovery times up and he still gets the job.... just dam sad I tell you.

Anyway, the family is trying to get his burn fund link out to a few tractor and farm boards to speread the word about burn safety, and see if they can get some support for the bills. They had no insurance. Just a sad matter.

Sorry to hear of your friend. No insurance? wow. My wife had cancer 2 years ago, and we have "good" insurance. Still ran about $14K out of our pocket. My sister was burned about 30 years ago, spent 2 weeks in a burn unit, it was a 50K bill back then.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm
Sorry to hear of your friend. No insurance? wow. My wife had cancer 2 years ago, and we have "good" insurance. Still ran about $14K out of our pocket. My sister was burned about 30 years ago, spent 2 weeks in a burn unit, it was a 50K bill back then.

I don't know all the specifics on price, however I hear the transport via life flight to the burn intensive care unit was high double digits on it's own.

He's had a cadaver skin graft, and a skin graft using leg skin, 2 surgeries so far. It's a tough row to hoe for all involved. The hospital is hours away from his house, so the family is literally living out of town . .. I uh... I don't even know what to say when my buddy calls me. I just listen mostly...

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #9  
I don't know all the specifics on price, however I hear the transport via life flight to the burn intensive care unit was high double digits on it's own.

He's had a cadaver skin graft, and a skin graft using leg skin, 2 surgeries so far. It's a tough row to hoe for all involved. The hospital is hours away from his house, so the family is literally living out of town . .. I uh... I don't even know what to say when my buddy calls me. I just listen mostly...

My sister ended up with plastic surgery? No skin grafts back then I guess. As she has gotten older, she has gotten real good with makeup, she was burned on part of her face and neck, chest area. Unless you look real hard, you can't see it now. My mom was cooking something, maybe canning, and sister slipped and grabbed the pot as she fell, pulling it down on herself. She was in the UM burn center. They did great work, but she was in a lot of pain.

My doctor told me she has a family that will not purchase insurance, for religious reasons, the are not Amish, but members of a small local church. I just don't get that....

Sometimes the best thing you can do is listen. It's way underrated.

/ Be carefull about getting burned on the farm #10  
Another item to note - if you are diabetic, as I am(type 2), a minor burn can refuse to heal quickly, become seriously infected and create a major problem. I went riding my Harley - in shorts - and got burned bad enough that it left all the skin on the exhaust pipe when I accidentally pressed my leg against it. It hurt like blue blazes and after three weeks it still had not scabbed over. I was embarrassed, but decided it was probably time to check in with my family Dr.

My Dr was noticeably upset that I had not come in for immediate treatment. The shots in my bum didn't feel so good either - I had developed a staphylococcal blood infection from the burn. I got stern advice from my family Dr that day.