BCS is home

/ BCS is home #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
I now have a diesel BCS 853 with a rotary plow. It is a horse of a 2 wheel tractor. I plowed about a 1/4 acre today for a new asparagus and potato area and it did a great job. Tomorrow I will sow some Rye and turn under next spring. Does anyone have suggestions on maintenance and tricks on using the BCS?

/ BCS is home #2  
That's good to hear, which engine did you get, I think Earth Tools offers two diesels on the 853. I'd love to see he rotary plow work, heard good things about it and of course we'd all like to see pictures. I still use my 20 yr old 735, fluid filled the tires and made wheel weights and a ride on trailer to haul my garden tools and produce. Unless you run that thing 24/7, with regular maintainance, I don't think you'll be able to wear it out.

/ BCS is home #3  
Why did you choose a walk behind instead of a 4 wheel tractor?

What is the price range for a BCS? Was it much more for a diesel?

I remember looking at a new gas BCS in the mid 1980's and it seems like I could have bought the tractor, a tiller and a cutting attachment for something like $1000.

/ BCS is home #4  
I hope Wayne comes back with some answers, but in '87, I bought a 735 that has the 10hp Acme gas engine, 5 speeds forward and two speeds reverse. It has the differential with differential lock and individual wheel brakes and the wheel width has several settings. I got the 26" adjustable tiller and the 40" three blade finish mower with sulky for just a little over $2400. has been money well spent. You can check them out at Earth Tools - Walk-Behind Tractors - (502) 484-3988 and like everything else they've gone up considerably, but you can hand it down to your grandkids.

/ BCS is home #5  
thank you Milkman. I looked at the site you suggested and was suprised at the attachments that are available. I wonder how many round bale attachments they sell?

I have a book from the late 70's or early 80's that lists several 2 wheel equipment sources that as I recall included BCS and Gravely. There was a picture or two of some chinese 2 wheel diesel tractors that were huge. There were also some Japanese 2 wheel machines that I have only seen in the book.

I have never operated a BCS, but have operated a gravely with the rotary plow. I thought it did an amazing job, but was a handful to operate. so I think for someone to plunk down maybe $4000 or more for a diesel BCS, they really must be pretty serious about it.

/ BCS is home
1] I had the 11HP Lombardini diesel installed because here in the mountains 20 to 30 degree slope are common.
2] I have a 4 wheel tractor for general work but the organic produce areas are fenced to keep the deer out and the 4 wheel is to cumbersome in the enclosed area.
3] The rotory plow does a good job in preparing the ground and I will use to make raise beds this spring after I turn in the Rye and Vetch. Will probably get a Flail Mower this spring.
4] Will try and send pictures this week.

/ BCS is home #7  
Wayne, where did you get your BCS, did you get it from Joel? He is about two hours from me and I would really like to get up there and see his place and check out the machinery he has. I met him and his dad when he was in In. and they are top notch people. They had an old Pasquali tractor that they used on their place that I really liked too, and I think it had the Lombardini diesel running it.

/ BCS is home
Yes Milkman I got it from Joel. He was coming to NC for a SARE conference and brought the tractor. I meet Joel in Durham and picked up so I saved on freight. I agree Joel is a gentlemen and doing business with Earth Tools has been a pleasure.

/ BCS is home #9  
I'd love to see some of the pictures of your 853.

/ BCS is home #10  
farm23 said:
Yes Milkman I got it from Joel. He was coming to NC for a SARE conference and brought the tractor. I meet Joel in Durham and picked up so I saved on freight. I agree Joel is a gentlemen and doing business with Earth Tools has been a pleasure.

A friend and I came by Durham on the 6th, pulling a trailer, on our way to Kinston to pick up a bed for his old Toyota, the trees were nice up that way and of course we had to stop off at Sand Ridge Road Ex 208 and check out the huge Northern Tool store, enjoyable trip and lots of nice people down that way.