BCS blues

/ BCS blues #1  

WesKootenay

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 732. Mahindra 1815 sub compact.
Setting up my new 26" Berta flail mower today. As I don't have any other front mount implements, I have been bitten by the PTO rod rotation problem - it is seized solid! Found the BCS service bulletin 2-24 that shows how to repair it. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what size punch you need, the roll-pin you are pounding out is described on the parts diagram as a 4x200 split pin, but it is not 4mm - barely 3. I'll contact EarthTools to see if they can help. Meanwhile, have any of you done this repair? I've used heat and WD-40, as recommended, but the pin won't budge. I'm on the verge of drilling it out, but I'll wait.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers!

BCS 001.JPGBCS 002.JPGBCS 007.JPG

Edit: Guess I should've checked EarthTools first. They have some good info on this problem + the punch size, 1/8".

Last edited:
   / BCS blues #2  
I'd start with better penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench, JB80, or something similar but better than WD40. Soak it a few times per day and leave it soak at least a day.

/ BCS blues #3  
Setting up my new 26" Berta flail mower today. As I don't have any other front mount implements, I have been bitten by the PTO rod rotation problem - it is seized solid! Found the BCS service bulletin 2-24 that shows how to repair it. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you what size punch you need, the roll-pin you are pounding out is described on the parts diagram as a 4x200 split pin, but it is not 4mm - barely 3. I'll contact EarthTools to see if they can help. Meanwhile, have any of you done this repair? I've used heat and WD-40, as recommended, but the pin won't budge. I'm on the verge of drilling it out, but I'll wait.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers!

View attachment 597730View attachment 597731View attachment 597732

Edit: Guess I should've checked EarthTools first. They have some good info on this problem + the punch size, 1/8".

Kroil...is widely recognized as the best penetrating oil on the market.
Seems to be rather difficult to find anywhere locally.
Amazon sells it, and it is a bit pricey.

BE PATIENT!
Spray Kroil...let it sit for an hour or two.
Spray Kroil again & again....let it sit each time.
Over and over again! Sit overnight.
Tap pin hard, after each Kroil application
It WORKS !!!!
BE PATIENT !!!

/ BCS blues
Thank you both.
I'm using three different brands of penetrating oil, one claims to freeze the rust and crack it - I don't think so! I will try to find Kroil in town, I've never heard of it.
So far, I've used heat, penetrating oil, two 1/8" pin punches and a big pipe wrench - no luck. If all else fails, I'll have to drill the pin out, could be difficult as they are hard steel.
:drink:

/ BCS blues #5  
Kano Labs does its sales directly. It's probably a reseller on Amazon. I first purchased mine with their google special at Google Deal
I've gotten the stuck pto shifter to rotate on both my 948 and 732, though I never got around to disassembling either, and subsequently broke the top swivel. It is currently on my to do list to take both apart and fix them per the service bulletin.

/ BCS blues
Kano Labs does its sales directly. It's probably a reseller on Amazon. I first purchased mine with their google special at Google Deal
I've gotten the stuck pto shifter to rotate on both my 948 and 732, though I never got around to disassembling either, and subsequently broke the top swivel. It is currently on my to do list to take both apart and fix them per the service bulletin.

Good to know, I'll look out for it.

BTW, we passed through your state last Fall - very nice scenery and people. On our way home after picking up the mower in Kentucky - another nice state.

/ BCS blues
The saga continues.
Two 1/8" pin punches and raised blood pressure later, the pin is out!! However, the rotating shaft doesn't :mad:
I'm listening to the forum's advise, so it's heat, spray, tighten the puller, heat, spray, tighten the puller - etc. I did try pounding on the bottom of the shaft as the procedure says but I'm scared that I will break something.
This is a very poor design, there should (at least) be a sticker pointing to this saying 'Rotate monthly' - it may be in the User Manual which, of course, I've read from cover to cover :eek:

002.JPG

Last edited:
   / BCS blues
Well, I tried! The shaft almost came out, then I decided to give it a little help by twisting it - just a bit - SNAP!
New parts ordered today.
I never know what day it is but, to those of you not retired, have a great weekend.

003.JPG

:drink:

/ BCS blues #9  
That's too bad. I'll say you should have continued the 'soak it with oil and heat it' routine for another few days, and have more patience. But in reality I would have done what you did. ;)
I've never had a problem with mine but it is stored indoors, gets rotated a couple times per year, and I keep all parts lubed with Fluid Film. FF creeps into cervices and doesn't evaporate or dry up, so it's perfect for joints like that.
I'm looking forward for your post showing the shiny new parts on there. :thumbsup:

/ BCS blues
That's too bad. I'll say you should have continued the 'soak it with oil and heat it' routine for another few days, and have more patience. But in reality I would have done what you did. ;)

My wife kept saying the same thing, she also reminded me that we still have a foot of snow on the ground. Selective hearing I guess??

I've never had a problem with mine but it is stored indoors, gets rotated a couple times per year, and I keep all parts lubed with Fluid Film. FF creeps into cervices and doesn't evaporate or dry up, so it's perfect for joints like that.
I'm looking forward for your post showing the shiny new parts on there. :thumbsup:

Hmm, never heard of that stuff. It's available locally, I'll have to try it. Thanks!