BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems

/ BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems #1  

mbrianb

Tractor
bcs715
Hi All,

My Acme engine carburetor is giving me fits. After the engine runs about 5 minutes it starts "hunting" or "surging" and then stops. I have cleaned the carb out five times now. I soaked it in carb cleaner, blew it out and reassembled it and it still does the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

If I hold the governor linkage open I can get it to keep running for a bit with no hunting but then it finally quits.

If it sits a while it will restart but will do the same thing again

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems #2  
I had a similar problem once & it was the gas cap not vented (plugged vent hole), loosen or take off the cap & give that a try. When the govener starts hunting usually means engine is "leaning out", running out of fuel.

/ BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems
Thanks Johnny3, I noticed that might be a problem on some other threads. I checked the cap and there is a large slot for air to enter the tank. I also disconnected the fuel line at the carb and I can drain the tank without starving the tank for air. I think there is something in the float that is causing the float valve to stay closed. Immediately after the engine shuts down I have tried to drain the float chamber and there is no or little fuel in there.

/ BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems #4  
yes, flow restriction somewhere, float rubbing maybe, there's sometimes a little stiff wire that connects the float & needle attached to each other so the needle can't get stuck up in it's seat, is that on there? Or can you raise the heighth of the tank some? (little more pressure).

/ BCS 715 Acme 290 WB engine Carburetor Problems
Raised float level and did not help. Lowered it and it runs for a longer time before it boggs and stops.
Runs great until I hit roots and things bounce around or when under heavy load, then it boggs and stops.
On some restarts it will only run with full choke. Wait a few minutes and all is forgotten, were friends again and it runs fine....until it doesn't