Bcs 205

/ Bcs 205 #1  

Franknbeans

Tractor
Bcs 205
Hey there,
I just picked up a BCS 205 at a local auction (came with mower, sickle bar, and tiller), and I'm trying to figure out as much as possible about it. It has an original engine, and from what I've read so far, it seems as if the implements are only good for other 200 series. I'm hoping this forum will be a great place to ask questions to other 200 series owners.
My first question involves the tiller. I hooked it up for the first time yesterday. It was really hard to attach due to the two bars that extend where bumping into the center caps on the wheels. Finally got it on and I did not like the performance. The tiller either sank itself in the dirt, or would take off out of control. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Sorry for the long post, but I hope to connect with someone who knows alot more about this machine than I do.
Thanks in advance,
Frank

/ Bcs 205 #2  
I'm not familiar with the 205, but saying it sinks in for takes off makes me wonder is you are trying to till in neutral.

Cory

/ Bcs 205
Thanks for your response. I had been tilling in neutral, because when I would pull the handle for 1st, the machine would go backward, and since reverse was on the same side as the pto, I couldn't hold both down. I played with the center caps and finally got their direction to reverse ( still not sure how I did this ), so now when I pull 1st or 2nd, it goes foward with the rear tiller on it, although at a lot lower speed than it normally does). All and all it seemed to till a lot better, but only in soil that has been previously tilled, certainly not for breaking new ground.
Thanks again for the help. Bottom line is that I just need to get a Manuel for this machine.

/ Bcs 205 #4  
Hey Frank,

I had the exact same problem you had when I first got my 205. The hubs can throw a guy off, especially since the "tiller" setting is out and those side guards are in the way.

You're right that the 205 doesn't do as well as a larger machine in breaking ground. To break ground, the heavier the machine, the better it does. Basically a rototiller is in a constant battle between breaking up the ground or launching forward on the tines. If a machine is very heavy, it's less likely to want to jump forward. Your 205 does have an advantage over other machines of its size on the market - faster tine speed. The 205 will take two "bites" of soil for every one "bite" a troy-bilt pony or other small machine. Since it's taking more "bites", they're smaller and less likely to get it to ride up on its tines.

Good luck with your 205, it's a very good machine. I'd have kept mine, but couldn't nail down a snow blower for it. Had to upgrade to a 715, then an 850.

/ Bcs 205 #5  
Hi guys, I've recently bought a preowned 205 on auction... I'm battling to get the wheel caps to pull outwards. Is there a trick to it? And when I get them out,what keeps them out? Thanks Quinton

/ Bcs 205 #6  
I haven't been around a 205 in a while, but I remember that you'd push the metal button in and pull the center of the hub out when it was out far enough, the button would pop back out. If I remember correctly, the hub came out for front mount attachments and was pushed in for the tiller. The middle setting was neutral for pushing around the garage when you didn't want to start it.

/ Bcs 205 #7  
Thanks for the advice... I was beginning to think I'm crazy,but I'll check it out now. Thanks Q

/ Bcs 205 #8  
I have owned a BCS 205 for 21 years (I bought it used) and it has served me well. I only use it about 2-3 times a year (for my wife's vegetable garden) and I keep it garaged the rest of the time.
The only things I have replaced are a cable and the gas tank. The tank begin leaking and after several attempts at plastic welding I gave in and payed $80 for a new tank. I thought it was too much to pay for a chunk of plastic, but it was cheaper than getting a new tiller.

The wheel caps have three positions:
In, for “tiller mode” for a low gear ratio
Middle, for neutral
Out, for reverse direction and a higher gear ratio.
If the cap is hard to move out or in, try rotating the wheel back and forth (while pushing the button) as you move the cap.

This site:
BCS Gardening Equipment
has some parts, and you can also get a CD with blowups and parts lists for the tiller and I think some of the engines that where sold with these units.