Battery replacement

/ Battery replacement #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I’ve got this pump mounted on my water trailer pulled by my tractor https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578549_200578549
I’ll need a new battery to power it since the one in the Kubota isn’t the marine type and so discharges quickly
Are all marine type batteries the same as far as how long between intervals of start up to recharge?
Would be nice to have a battery that would run this pump all day and I could charge in the evening but I’m gonna guess that’s asking too much from a battery
Any specific suggestions on a battery would be appreciated
Thanks

/ Battery replacement #2  
I’ve got this pump mounted on my water trailer pulled by my tractor https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578549_200578549
I’ll need a new battery to power it since the one in the Kubota isn’t the marine type and so discharges quickly
Are all marine type batteries the same as far as how long between intervals of start up to recharge?
Would be nice to have a battery that would run this pump all day and I could charge in the evening but I’m gonna guess that’s asking too much from a battery
Any specific suggestions on a battery would be appreciated
Thanks
This runs at 12 V 17A according to the data sheet. Thats 204 Amp Hours per hour.

Four of these 250 AMP HOUR batteries using 80% DOD (Depth of Discharge) would run it for about 4 hours, One would last an hour.

/ Battery replacement #3  
Your Kubota battery is probably like a truck battery. Designed to withstand a lot of vibration, and then, like a car battery, intended for short discharges (starting the vehicle) and quick recharges (soon after the engine starts). Many find the alternator on Kubota's to be anemic, which may explain why your pump causes the battery to go low.
What you want is a deep cycle battery, frequently referred to as a marine battery. Recommended discharge is 50%, and never to exceed 80%, so a bit different from Andy's recommendation. (google to duplicate my results).
Your best performance will come from 2-6 volt batteries, wired in series. You want lead acid (the kind with water). I recently purchased 4 Duracell at about $108 each. Checking * ratings, they were highly recommended, as compared to the brand most car repair places sell. If you decide to go with only one battery, made are 12V deep cycle batteries.
Before you buy your battery charger, check amp hours of the batteries - that will govern the amp output of the charger you need.

/ Battery replacement #4  
Why not just extend power from tractor to water trailer if they are always used together..... Even tractor idling, alternator should be able to keep tractor battery charged and still provide power to pump...
Not sure why you think you need marine type..... If it were me I would go with a Odyssey AGM battery....

Last edited:
   / Battery replacement #5  
I agree with the suggestion to run pump off tractor battery and if battery doesn't maintain full charge something is wrong with battery,alternator or pump.

/ Battery replacement
Thanks for all the input, so it sounds safe to assume that there isn’t necessarily a deep cell battery that will last longer in terms of powering my pump than another.
I do not want my tractor idling all day…… day after day while running this pump
Looks like unless I want to get into stupid money buying multiple batteries and running them in series than I will still have to start my engine to get recharged more often than I’d care to

/ Battery replacement #7  
The link for your pump at Northern failed but I doubt a 12 volt pump was intended for "all day,day after day" operation. Sounds like you need a gas engine powered pump. If it were me I'd buy a new roller pump and reduce rpms of a used lawn mower engine to power it but you can buy a complete set up for what it costs for batteries and replacing worn out 12 volt pumps.

/ Battery replacement #8  
I would rig up an alternator off a small gas engine.

/ Battery replacement #9  
The link for your pump at Northern failed but I doubt a 12 volt pump was intended for "all day,day after day" operation. Sounds like you need a gas engine powered pump. If it were me I'd buy a new roller pump and reduce rpms of a used lawn mower engine to power it but you can buy a complete set up for what it costs for batteries and replacing worn out 12 volt pumps.
For all day every day I agree with small gas engine pump.... Perobabl cost less on long run the 12 VDC pump plus all the batteries and charge and "stuff"....

I have older version of one below and is just sips fuel and supplies a great amount of water even at a idle....

/ Battery replacement #10  
The link dosnt work for me. Also what are you pumping that this pump needs to be on for 24hrs?

I built a small solar water pump setup got my garden and it wasn't super expensive. I used a 12v programable timer to really help the system.