Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #351  
My rule of 'thumb' with chain loops is, if you start building pitch at all on the backside (heel) of the tooth, it needs to be sharpened, don't matter if it's an electric saw or gas saw. Remember I sharpen chains and chipper knives for almost every commercial arborist in this area so I see a huge amount of saw chains as well as commercial chipper knives. I tell all my customers to observe what the chain loops are doing as far as building pitch and if they 'rock' a loop, change it out asap.

They like to 'save' up loops and I get them all at once. Just ran 80 loops for one outfit, .404, .325 and some lo pro PICO loops which I really don't like because of how the rakers are designed.

I don't care what the power source is or the chain speed is on any saw, the difference between an efficient cutting chain saw and a poor cutting one lies entirely in the chain loop and how sharp or dull it is.

One thing to keep in mind however is that battery saws for the most part rotate the chain loop slower than a gas saw, the slower the loop speed, the slower the cut speed is no matter if the loop is surgically sharp or not. That is the main reason why I don't own one. I do own rpm saws however.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #352  
the difference between an efficient cutting chain saw and a poor cutting one lies entirely in the chain loop and how sharp or dull it is.
That just isn't true...

SR

/ Battery powered chainsaw #354  
The thing is LiIon batteries are fairly complex requiring precision control to prevent damage, as witnessed by that complex battery control module.

Perhaps the module knows what it is doing, that one cell is acting up necessitating shutdown to prevent a fire?

Does sound like you are due a replacement under warranty.

A few days ago, I got to try out the two battery use on my Ryobi saw. Both batteries are the 40V 4ah ones. i decided that in order to avoid the "over heated" battery, I packed some ice in a cooler and took it with me to my tree trunk cutting. I paced my cutting with the first batter, checking every now and then to see if it was getting warm. When it felt warm, I put it in the cooler with the ice and then put the second battery in the saw. But doing this, I did not get the overheated battery condition and was able to use the full charge of each battery.

There was a few times the saw just stopped, but not for the battery condition. I suspect that the motor got hot. I would just run the saw without load for a few moments, then back to cutting. That worked and I got a lot of cutting done.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #355  
Any cordless too that uses Li-Ion batteries does the same deal, no matter what brand they are. Self preservation I guess. Always stopping on the Torque Test Channel.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #356  
My rule of 'thumb' with chain loops is, if you start building pitch at all on the backside (heel) of the tooth, it needs to be sharpened, don't matter if it's an electric saw or gas saw. Remember I sharpen chains and chipper knives for almost every commercial arborist in this area so I see a huge amount of saw chains as well as commercial chipper knives. I tell all my customers to observe what the chain loops are doing as far as building pitch and if they 'rock' a loop, change it out asap.

They like to 'save' up loops and I get them all at once. Just ran 80 loops for one outfit, .404, .325 and some lo pro PICO loops which I really don't like because of how the rakers are designed.

I don't care what the power source is or the chain speed is on any saw, the difference between an efficient cutting chain saw and a poor cutting one lies entirely in the chain loop and how sharp or dull it is.

One thing to keep in mind however is that battery saws for the most part rotate the chain loop slower than a gas saw, the slower the loop speed, the slower the cut speed is no matter if the loop is surgically sharp or not. That is the main reason why I don't own one. I do own rpm saws however.
Does rock the loop mean covered in pitch/fibers where it gets stiff?

I cut mostly live coastal oak storm fall sand have wondered why sometimes the chain links become very stiff... always plenty of bar oil and sometime a little WD-40 on chain helps loosen.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #357  
A few days ago, I got to try out the two battery use on my Ryobi saw. Both batteries are the 40V 4ah ones. i decided that in order to avoid the "over heated" battery, I packed some ice in a cooler and took it with me to my tree trunk cutting. I paced my cutting with the first batter, checking every now and then to see if it was getting warm. When it felt warm, I put it in the cooler with the ice and then put the second battery in the saw. But doing this, I did not get the overheated battery condition and was able to use the full charge of each battery.

There was a few times the saw just stopped, but not for the battery condition. I suspect that the motor got hot. I would just run the saw without load for a few moments, then back to cutting. That worked and I got a lot of cutting done.
Is keeping those batteries refrigerated going to be the norm for you??

/ Battery powered chainsaw #358  
If I stated the sky was blue, you'd disagree. Far as I'm concerned, you are basically FOS.
Anyone who thinks that chain speed and a few other things doesn't have a lot to do with how fast/efficient a chain cuts, just plain doesn't know much about chainsaws!

That's the bottom line.

SR

/ Battery powered chainsaw #359  
Does rock the loop mean covered in pitch/fibers where it gets stiff?

I cut mostly live coastal oak storm fall sand have wondered why sometimes the chain links become very stiff... always plenty of bar oil and sometime a little WD-40 on chain helps loosen.
'Rocking' a chain means either hitting metal in a cut or sticking the bar in the dirt. Sounds to me like you are experiencing a pitch issue which will cause the chain links to become stiff. Can you increase the oiling rate on your saw? Mine all have adjustable rate oilers, usually a screw on the bottom of the saw and you might want to add a bit of kerosene to the bar oil to help flush the pitch away.

Not an issue here.

Nothing better than hitting metal in any cut to make for a bad day. My buddy runs carbide tooth chains because he cuts wood everywhere. Problem is, you have to have a diamond wheel (expensive) to sharpen them and they are very expensive. Solid carbide tooth chains are what first responders use, but they buy them on your dime.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #360  
Anyone who thinks that chain speed and a few other things doesn't have a lot to do with how fast/efficient a chain cuts, just plain doesn't know much about chainsaws!

That's the bottom line.

SR
You just cannot leave well enough alone can you? You need to go play in traffic.