Battery Jump Packs

/ Battery Jump Packs #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
I didn't know where to ask this question so I just chose this forum. Is it possible to hook up a battery jump pack to a trickle charger? I don't use the two that I have very often and that means that when I have to use one it usually is not fully charged. So my question is can you attach the trickle charger to the two alligator clamps of the battery pack to keep it charged?

/ Battery Jump Packs #2  
I didn't know where to ask this question so I just chose this forum. Is it possible to hook up a battery jump pack to a trickle charger? I don't use the two that I have very often and that means that when I have to use one it usually is not fully charged. So my question is can you attach the trickle charger to the two alligator clamps of the battery pack to keep it charged?
To do this you would need to,
- Not have the battery pack plugged into the wall AC outlet
- With an intelligent smart charger, PWM sinewave type, connect the clamps onto the battery pack jumper clamps.
- Match the clamps for +positive and -negative.
- On the battery pack, activate the ON position as it you are going to use it.
- Now it's taking a charge.

Yes, the battery jump packs at times will fail to take an wall AC charge due to a failed electronics item on the internal PCB. The Stanley jump start devices will do this after 4 or 5 years. It's the only way I can charge them now.

And the Viking does a better charge of the jump start battery overall. It does a great deep charge over the original Stanley so-so charge of the product.

I use the Viking smart charger from Harbor Freight. It's very reliable. Do not buy their cheap-o Centech chargers.

Find a 20% off coupon and get one. :)

1711899807561.png

/ Battery Jump Packs #3  
bmaverick gave some really good instructions but the bottom line will be your specific jump pack and the charger. Many trickle chargers are for lead acid batteries. Current production jump packs are lithium batteries. The two are not compatible even if both are twelve volts. Do a little research, lithium batteries can overheat and blow up. The fire cannot be extinguished with most conventional extinguishers.

/ Battery Jump Packs #4  
bmaverick gave some really good instructions but the bottom line will be your specific jump pack and the charger. Many trickle chargers are for lead acid batteries. Current production jump packs are lithium batteries. The two are not compatible even if both are twelve volts. Do a little research, lithium batteries can overheat and blow up. The fire cannot be extinguished with most conventional extinguishers.
The Viking has been great on Li and LIPOFE4 batteries too. I've had non-recoverable LI power tool batteries fail in their own chargers. Typically these batteries are 18V to 20V. I clamp on the Viking, it get them up to 13.2V as the charger itself thinks all batteries are 12V.

I then take these power tool batteries and place them on their normal chargers. All works good, like normal once again.

Craftsmen, Roybi, B+D, and Dewalt batteries I've successfully recovered with the Viking. As these LI power tool batteries are going up in price, I had nothing to loose to at least try. I would never do this on a stupid charger nor a trickle charger.

The Viking unit constantly monitor the battery state. It charges, does a test cycle and repeats. Sometimes this is in a matter of seconds and other times a few mins. It varies on how it see the charge state happening.

In the winter, the solar up north isn't so great. Keeping those LIPOFE4 batteries in top shape, the Viking shines.