Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,991  
2 friends have it and use it. I won't get in the car with it. I'm not ok with other people driving, let alone a computer.
I got lead out of the tobacco patch to computers in 1969 so I have an appreciation for that technological gift to mankind.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,992  
How do you personally figure that in?

Cost of said item as opposed to cost of less costly alternate item... Then apply my lifetime average market earnings of 11%, amortized over said period.

The same way everyone else does.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,993  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,994  
Some people don't learn from their mistakes. Tesla seems to be headed for another SEC lawsuit. His claims for the robotaxi and a cheap EV on the earnings call will come back to bite Tesla if they don't materialize. Two executives announced they were leaving prior to the call. The head of Investor Relations quit at the end of the call, perhaps he saw the writing on the wall after the bold claims by Elon Musk. One bad quarter usually doesn't have that many high level people depart a company.

SEC.gov | Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,995  
Some people don't learn from their mistakes. Tesla seems to be headed for another SEC lawsuit. His claims for the robotaxi and a cheap EV on the earnings call will come back to bite Tesla if they don't materialize. Two executives announced they were leaving prior to the call. The head of Investor Relations quit at the end of the call, perhaps he saw the writing on the wall after the bold claims by Elon Musk. One bad quarter usually doesn't have that many high level people depart a company.

SEC.gov | Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge
I wrote a fairly long post on my opinions of the Robotaxi enumerating why I believe it is hype and will be a failure. None of the Tesla fan boys have responded with a counter argument.

In short, how does a market of 150k to 200k vehicles (all the taxis in the US) save Tesla?

But this is an EV thread, so maybe not germane to the discussion. The share price of Tesla has no bearing on the ICE death spiral...right?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,996  
I think the idea is that Americans will abandon personal car ownership for the use of robo taxi. I don't see this being an affordable or convenient option for most of the country.
I can drive anywhere I want, any time I want, for a few thousand dollars per year. We would have to robo taxi about 30x per week... How does that pencil out for me? Can I get 1500 rides per year for what I pay for private car ownership? My round trip drive to work is 75 miles. That costs me about $10 in fuel. The car I use, I paid $9000 for, 5 years ago, and will probably drive for 10 more... Literally for $2k per year I can go anywhere at any time.

This seems like an extension of the "you will own nothing, rent and subscribe to everything, and make others very wealthy while doing so".

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,998  
Cost of said item as opposed to cost of less costly alternate item... Then apply my lifetime average market earnings of 11%, amortized over said period.

The same way everyone else does.
Thanks, I can see that now.

Since there was no alternate purchase I could make, I guess I did the best I could.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,999  
2 friends have it and use it. I won't get in the car with it. I'm not ok with other people driving, let alone a computer.
You demonstrate a point I tried to make to Gail: That being, autonomous driving software, and battery vehicles are two totally separate subjects. One is not dependent on the other. Gail likes to mislead people into thinking they are codependent, but they are not.
An Ice engine vehicle can be made to auto- drive, as well as a customer like you, can desire a battery car, but you don’t want self driving