Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,981  
I must be blessed. I have not kept detailed records on my 2015 F150, but have spent less than $4000 on brakes, tires, oil changes and a couple of minor repairs. 115k miles.

Well, Thought I would post it since it is their report.

Consumer Reports always gets a grain of salt from me....

They always bag on Jeep and RAM, and sure ours needed some things over the years but the 2 Grand Cherokees are still going both have over 300k miles and were handed off to kids or family friends that needed a winter rig.

I have spent less than $4000 on the 2003 3500 HD since 2011 and am including two new batteries yesterday and a head pipe back exhaust, new water pump , front u joints clutch master and slave,dash re cover, door switches, replacement headlights and winter tires and wheels.

I do think the report is correct, but the Big question is how big of drop in value of the car After the factory Tesla warranties expire. They may go 400K but they may need a battery or motor just out of warranty and that is a
legitimate concern.

That is where ICE values do not drop as much resale value, where electrics do seem to.

ps. Still on the stock brakes at ~ 160K on the truck.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,984  
No offense but statistics like that mean nothing.
Compare 2 cars A&B. A cost $40K new. B cost $20K new. Even if after 10 years B has $15K in maintenance cost and A is zero...which was the best buy?
Grade school mathematics.

Me, I would weight the numbers by which of the 2 cars I would chose to drive most every day.

That is not scientific or pass the grade school math, or conform to CRs test , I have the ICE vehicles that are keepers 'to me' but will never own another ICE economy car.
Been there done that.

New truck ICE someday? Maybe, when the Cummins 'wears' out:)

A lot depends on how these newer Teslas Actually age.

The Model Y really is to new to have a clear quantifiable lifespan yet imo. I know what Tesla says but will 10% or 90% still be running on the motors electronics and battery pack that it was delivered with
in another 12+ years.

After thinking about it, Will never not have at least 2 electric vehicles in the stable. ( Keeping the EZ GO golf cart as well)
Plugging in @ home is something that is now a permanent part of my vehicle lifestyle.

The remote interior temp setting in winter and excellent AWD is almost enough reason by itself.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,986  
I've said it so many times here...there's no way Ai or Autopilot, FSD...whatever name would have saved us in different situations. We'd be dead or injured. No way can anything computerized can outsmart a human thinking outside the box.
Anyone familiar with Scully, Flight 1549 belly landing on the Hudson? Look it up. Think Ai could/would do that?
"Probably".

Remember Scully was initially found at fault for ditching in the river. Said he could have made it back to the airport. Then on further investigation it was learned the simulations which successfully returned to the airport turned back the instant of the birdstrike. Yet established protocol was to attempt to restart the engine, which is what the crew attempted.

Perhaps the AI would have turned back immediately?

Perhaps the AI would have been able to sit the aircraft on the water without tumbling or nosedive?

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,988  
"Probably".

Remember Scully was initially found at fault for ditching in the river. Said he could have made it back to the airport. Then on further investigation it was learned the simulations which successfully returned to the airport turned back the instant of the birdstrike. Yet established protocol was to attempt to restart the engine, which is what the crew attempted.

Perhaps the AI would have turned back?

Perhaps the AI would have been able to sit the aircraft on the water without tumbling or nosedive?
The problem with AI is it has no sense of self preservation. It has a set list of things to do, and if none of those things work, it doesn't improvise. When all else fails, it doesn't punch the instrument cluster as it hurdles to the ocean, hoping something will spring back to life. It doesn't say "well, if x kills me, but saves hundreds, or thousands, it'll be worth it."

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,989  
The problem with AI is it has no sense of self preservation. It has a set list of things to do, and if none of those things work, it doesn't improvise. When all else fails, it doesn't punch the instrument cluster as it hurdles to the ocean, hoping something will spring back to life. It doesn't say "well, if x kills me, but saves hundreds, or thousands, it'll be worth it."
I see you haven't heard about FSD yet.