Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,521  
I keep cars for a very long time...

Nothing against EV but I'm not a new car buyer and not sure how smart it would be buying a 10-15 year old EV?

It I never bought another car I have plenty to keep me in wheels for a lifetime.

Same, we usually buy 6-10 years old. I have a spare 2004 Oldsmobile sitting in my barn with 80k miles.
We usually sell them when they are about 20 years old. My vehicles are utilitarian. If I want to go fast, I ride my motorcycle. If I need to tow, I use the SUV. My wife would be the beneficiary of a hybrid, so that is still in the cards.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,522  
No idea what sugar sprinkles, and rainbow bridges explanation you’re trying to achieve here, but Tesla is a publicly traded company now , and the price is dictated by stockholder’s, and potential stockholder’s view of the company’s worth and future worth.
Musk himself drove down the stock price when he sold millions of shares to buy Twitter, and other things.
He’s around a 20% shareholder now, depending on your sources.
Startup company? Seriously?
It was a startup 21 years ago, before he sold it public. It’s not a startup anymore.
It's a growth company not designed to distribute cash in the growth stage.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,523  
Same, we usually buy 6-10 years old. I have a spare 2004 Oldsmobile sitting in my barn with 80k miles.
We usually sell them when they are about 20 years old. My vehicles are utilitarian. If I want to go fast, I ride my motorcycle. If I need to tow, I use the SUV. My wife would be the beneficiary of a hybrid, so that is still in the cards.
Hadn't seen much posted about motorcycles throughout this thread. Do you think you'd ever consider an electric bike? They are pretty quick if you like fast.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,524  
Hadn't seen much posted about motorcycles throughout this thread. Do you think you'd ever consider an electric bike? They are pretty quick if you like fast.
Their range sucks though. So no. I’ve been watching them for years, but battery capacity is very limited. They have not improved range much over the past 5-7 years.
Zero Motorcycles has been in the game the longest probably. Their sport bike has a range of 116 miles, which is pretty high for a bike. However, the bike is also 518 pounds!! For a sportbike. My current bike is about 407 pounds, 150 mile range on a tank, costs half as much as the Zero. They are boutique bikes for sure.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,527  

Mmm, Interesting bike- 'Somewhat' Similar specs performance wise to my z 900RS

exact same 0-60 3.0 seconds

1/4mile
z mid 11's @ ~117 MPH
Delmar, can't find a test anywhere... Mmm wonder why?

top speed
Delmar 103 MPH
z900RS 143 MPH

Horsepower
110 HP z900
84 HP Delmar

Torque
194 lb. ft. Delmar That's a lot of torque!
72 lb.ft. @6500 RPM z900

Hiway range
Delmar @ 70 MPH 41 miles
You Got to be kidding!

Kaw @ 70 MPH 180 miles

Delmar level 2 charging 20-80% 1.3 hours.......................................................

z900 0-100% full tank 2 minutes or less.

I would have to give up the glorious sound of the zed being up shifted as the tac approaches redline.

yeah think I will keep my Kaw for Now.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,528  
Most motorcycle guys are into the visceral experience riding a bike. A whisper quiet electric bike would change it completely. I love listening to the angry burble through the race exhaust on my FZ09 on decel. The vibration. The sound. All of it!

The stock FZ09 does 0-60 in 2.7 and the 1/4 at 10.6. Mine isn’t stock, but let’s face it, pure performance numbers don’t mean anything on a street with other drivers and laws.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,529  
Delmar @ 70 MPH 41 miles
Really? That would not even get a lot riders to the twisties.....Guess no one is looking to burn a couple of tanks in hills on back road like I used.
Heck that would not get you from the "valley" to the Rock Store and back. A staple of my youth.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,530  
Really? That would not even get a lot riders to the twisties.....Guess no one is looking to burn a couple of tanks in hills on back road like I used.
Heck that would not get you from the "valley" to the Rock Store and back. A staple of my youth.
Again, electric is great in urban areas. Where motorcycles are the least fun