Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,531  
Really? That would not even get a lot riders to the twisties.....Guess no one is looking to burn a couple of tanks in hills on back road like I used.
Heck that would not get you from the "valley" to the Rock Store and back. A staple of my youth.

I was actually pretty 'shocked' to see that number myself, EVen as an EV owner.

They need to Do Better, to actually compete with an ICE motorcycle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,532  
I was actually pretty 'shocked' to see that number myself, EVen as an EV owner.

They need to Do Better, to actually compete with an ICE motorcycle.

The problem is weight, size, and battery tech. Unlike a car, there is not a lot of room to place a battery between your legs. Weight and geometry are much more important on a bike, than in a cage.
Zero Motorcycle has better range, by quite a lot. To be honest, Harley has never really been a leader in any sort of performance metric. They do make noise and vibration without the byproduct of speed however... Better than anyone!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,533  
Actually, I remember in my youth, 60's - 70's, nothing could touch a Harley in the dirt mile. They were nearly always 1-2-3 at the finish.
Patrick

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,535  
Actually, I remember in my youth, 60's - 70's, nothing could touch a Harley in the dirt mile. They were nearly always 1-2-3 at the finish.
Patrick
Well now they have "special" race classes just for HD and Indian.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,536  
Harley has never really been a leader in any sort of performance metric.
I was just refuting this statement because I believe racing is a performance metric.
Patrick

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,537  
Ford Motor Company Plans to Immortalize the ICE With New PCV

Sounds like Ford is hoping to buy some ICE time.

Climate change has been going on for millions of years per reported ice core data so at some level preventing climate change may be akin to pissing into the wind.

While we understand Earth may look like Mars someday with or without human impact on Earth that sounds like global warming or global cooling may be out of human control.

My concern therefore is not controlling global warming or cooling but being able to go through McDonald's drive thru with the windows down without gagging my soul.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,538  
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/business/general-electric-split-explained/index.html

If massive debt took out GE how's there any hope for Toyota and other automotive companies with massive debt today with falling prices due to EVs being cheaper to build, fuel and maintain going to stay out of bankruptcy?

My Model Y was $66K Dec 2022 with NO rebates. Today an identical new one with NO rebate is going for $49K with a 10%+ profit margin to Tesla.

The lower net costs to build, fuel and maintain EVs are pluses. Millions are willing to go from ICE to EV but not in the other direction.

2050 is only one Generation away and for financial reasons Robo Taxi (the new Uber) will start replacing the private vehicle in a manner that's foreign to most of us Baby Boomers.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,539  
My concern therefore is not controlling global warming or cooling but being able to go through McDonald's drive thru with the windows down without gagging my soul.
Maybe save your heart and not go to McDonalds ;) ......but lets look at the bigger picture, your EV world seems to always forget, that your electricity source plants needs mostly needs fossil fuels . Your robotaxi world also needs huge databanks that use humongous amounts of electricity that again primarily use fossil fuels. Your world just moves the " gagging of your soul" from tailpipe to the electric plant. And don't think solar or wind will ever be more than a small percent of the increased electricity needs the EV and autopilot world would need compared to now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,540  
Maybe save your heart and not go to McDonalds ;) ......but lets look at the bigger picture, your EV world seems to always forget, that your electricity source plants needs mostly needs fossil fuels . Your robotaxi world also needs huge databanks that use humongous amounts of electricity that again primarily use fossil fuels. Your world just moves the " gagging of your soul" from tailpipe to the electric plant. And don't think solar or wind will ever be more than a small percent of the increased electricity needs the EV and autopilot world would need compared to now.
I read an article on AI, and it pointed out the inconvenient truth that large scale AI that some are pushing for , will require many more large data centers, that consume tremendous amounts of energy, and that it would need to be taken into consideration for future grid loads, but is being purposely kept quiet.

Bitcoin mining is another very large energy user that many people are unaware of. Tons of energy consumed to make something that has no physical form