Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,751  
No, not at all.

NAV is real time Google Maps, for free. There are no updates other than some short refresh time or when one drives to another county outside the current cached map.

One pays $10/mo or $100/year to get advanced features such as audio and video streaming, and live traffic updates.
I was wondering how it compared to Apple Car Play which gives live traffic and also tells you where police are taking radar in real time. It seems the $9.99 version is closest to the NAV information on Apple Car Play but without the streaming. Can the Tesla navigation $9.99 version pick up AM radio also?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,752  
I thought AM radios were being legislated out of existence by the powers that be?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,753  
Tesla Y is listed as an SUV? That defies definition of SUV.
"SUV stands for 'Sports Utility Vehicle', a fairly loose term but one that generally refers to stylish, sleek looking vehicles that offer elegant city driving but also handle rugged terrain thanks to a typical 4x4 capability."
To each their own, I don't think of sleek or stylish when I hear SUV. I think of a Scout, Bronco, or Jeep Cherokee. A quick search says that Jeep was the first to use the term in 1974.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,754  
I thought AM radios were being legislated out of existence by the powers that be?
I thought the opposite.

S.1669 - AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023​

Introduced in Senate (05/17/2023)​

AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023

This bill requires the Department of Transportation (DOT) to issue a rule that requires all new motor vehicles to have devices that can access AM broadcast stations installed as standard equipment. (AM broadcast stations are often used to deliver emergency alerts and news and entertainment programming; some newer vehicles do not include AM equipment.)

Specifically, this bill applies to motor vehicles manufactured in the United States, imported into the United States, or shipped in interstate commerce after the rule's effective date.

The DOT rule must require all such vehicles to have devices that can receive signals and play content transmitted by AM broadcast stations or digital audio AM broadcast stations installed as standard equipment.

Prior to the effective date of the rule, manufacturers that do not include devices that can access AM broadcast stations as standard equipment must inform purchasers of this fact through clear and conspicuous labeling.

DOT may assess civil penalties against any manufacturer that fails to comply with the mandate. The Department of Justice may also bring a civil action to enjoin a violation.

Further, the Government Accountability Office must study and report on whether a reliable alternative communication system exists for delivering emergency alerts and consider the (1) cost to drivers and passengers of receiving communications through an alternative system, and (2) cost and time required to develop and implement an alternative.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,755  
I thought the opposite.

S.1669 - AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023​

Introduced in Senate (05/17/2023)​

AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023

This bill requires the Department of Transportation (DOT) to issue a rule that requires all new motor vehicles to have devices that can access AM broadcast stations installed as standard equipment. (AM broadcast stations are often used to deliver emergency alerts and news and entertainment programming; some newer vehicles do not include AM equipment.)

Specifically, this bill applies to motor vehicles manufactured in the United States, imported into the United States, or shipped in interstate commerce after the rule's effective date.

The DOT rule must require all such vehicles to have devices that can receive signals and play content transmitted by AM broadcast stations or digital audio AM broadcast stations installed as standard equipment.

Prior to the effective date of the rule, manufacturers that do not include devices that can access AM broadcast stations as standard equipment must inform purchasers of this fact through clear and conspicuous labeling.

DOT may assess civil penalties against any manufacturer that fails to comply with the mandate. The Department of Justice may also bring a civil action to enjoin a violation.

Further, the Government Accountability Office must study and report on whether a reliable alternative communication system exists for delivering emergency alerts and consider the (1) cost to drivers and passengers of receiving communications through an alternative system, and (2) cost and time required to develop and implement an alternative.

Right, but remember the efforts to try to get rid of the AM radios?

Think those people just went away?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,757  
Was there legislation introduced to get rid of AM radio?

No, worse. Car manufacturers were going to do it all by themselves. Luckily we still have a few rights in this country to listen to what we want……for now.

And it’s no secret that one group of people likes AM radio more than the other.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,758  
No, worse. Car manufacturers were going to do it all by themselves. Luckily we still have a few rights in this country to listen to what we want……for now.

And it’s no secret that one group of people likes AM radio more than the other.
yea, but they aren't "the powers that be" ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,759  
yea, but they aren't "the powers that be" ;)

Amazing and at same time scary that it takes an act of congress and the DOJ to keep AM radio from being taken out of our cars.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,760  
Amazing and at same time scary that it takes an act of congress and the DOJ to keep AM radio from being taken out of our cars.
Well, honestly, I'm my opinion, I don't think any manufacturer should be forced by government to do include anything in a product that isn't specifically for the safety of the product. I wish government was a lot smaller, not bigger and more intrusive. I prefer to let the market dictate what manufacturers produce and sell. Yea, it would suck if AM radio went away but the market would take care of it. I don't like congress requiring back up cameras, TPS, airbags, seatbelts, and a whole host of other things that are required. I believe strongly in personal responsibility. If a person wants to purchase an item that might cause harm to them, they should be allowed to.

When I mention the safety of the product, I mean for the safety of others that don't own the product and may be harmed through no fault of their own. Having said that, I believe antilock brake legislation is acceptable.