Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,741  
Same as in northern Michigan. Many Yankees realize they were sold a bill of goods about the Civil War. :D
Such as the notion free white men would voluntarily leave their families, fight, and and possibly die, to free black slaves? There would have been mass mutiny had that notion got in their heads.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,742  
My estimate when the $25,000 Tesla be be available in Mass for the workers of the USA and other places in the world. Having the robots trained is a wild card in my mind.
If things don't change it will take $25,000 in 2028 to buy $15,000 today.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,743  
It concerns me like Iran having nuclear capability would concern me. It's not about me and myself. It's about my country and all of it's people. Many of which are struggling with government spending induced inflation. Their lives, futures, and our economy as a whole. I could look at my accounts growing by $250k each year and "not worry", because I'm fine. But life isn't all about me, or my budget, or my comfort. Anything else seems awfully cynical, and self centered.
Most of that "growth" is inflation. The dollar is worth less but a company which produces something useful is still a company which produces something useful. So the price to buy a share of that company goes up, while it's true worth may not change.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,744  
Another Y owner already answered the question and answered the NAV updates are $100 a year or $9.99 a month.
No, not at all.

NAV is real time Google Maps, for free. There are no updates other than some short refresh time or when one drives to another county outside the current cached map.

One pays $10/mo or $100/year to get advanced features such as audio and video streaming, and live traffic updates.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,745  
Grumpy does have more day in day out experience with EV's than all of the rest of us added together.
He also has a an F 150 ICE
And a Porsche 928S, and 6 motorcycles, and ...

There are a few things Tesla does that is well ,just Dumb. Super expensive 35 series tires ride like crap, one good sized pot hole and the wheel is damaged along with the tire. Also from most reports they are less efficient on getting a good watt hour mile numbers.
Yes, I blame it on being designed by California Metrosexuals. The bad ride is thought to be sporty but Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, all do better with the same tires. The 2013 rode pretty much the same even with the air suspension. Sourced from the same OEM as Mercedes-Benz uses, you'd think they could have tuned it better.

Too cheap to take off my OE 255/45-19 before they wear out. I'll be PMing you about what 18" rims fit then.

Did you ever see the tire I popped on my Mercedes-Benz diesel?

Popped_Tire_IMG_0526.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,747  
He went to the library to peruse Consumer Reports about a $1,500 fridge but not a $45,000 car.
However...we're the ignorant pigs.
Silly, it was a $500 fridge.

And I did read what they had to say before buying my automobiles and trucks. As I said earlier I do not accept their scoring criteria always reflects my concerns.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,749  

Cool voltage step down or step UP technology for oems EVs and other applications like driving a stereo on your EV boat.
DC-DC converters are very old technology. Not the oldest but in heavy use for a long time. Cookbook designs provided by chip makers have been common for 30 years.

Most every wall-wart power supply these days is transformerless. AC to DC is a diode and capacitor. Then DC-DC step-down to 12V or 5V or whatever. Sometimes they switch the incoming AC directly into the capacitor to make the 5V.

I think you will find a DC-DC converter in the USB cigarette lighter plugs commonly available for as little as $5.

Last I looked Vicor products were very good but very expensive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,750  
Maybe I skipped some of the video…
DC-DC step up/down converters have been around for years. I missed why it’s groundbreaking here
Because YouTube Experts are talking about it!