Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,581  
Most of your "facts" seem to come from Youtube "influencers". Don't you have any reputable sources of information?
I totally get that you're a Musk fanboy to the extreme, but your cred here is in a death spiral. :ROFLMAO:
Good to see Ford's EV price cuts seems to be boosting EV sales somewhat.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,582  
“While billing itself as a nonpartisan publication, Consumer Reports also maintains an advocacy and lobbying arm, the Consumers Union Action Fund, that advocates for left-leaning consumer policies on issues such as environmentalism, food and nutrition, and subsidizing the use of electric vehicles.“

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,583  
My Parents got us a subscription to CR shortly after I got married. They, CR, are super blatantly biased, it's not even funny.
They do have a lot of good information, but......
Patrick
Yes, you have to read between the lines to get the truth.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,584  
Thankfully we have grump on board who is more knowledgeable than most posters and publications.
"Tesla put a new drive unit (motor, "transmission", differential, and inverter) in my Model S at 7 years 10 months. No charge."
"The "good will" warranty was the result of a class action lawsuit and Federal nosing around."
Per Tesla Motor Club...referring to the Model S Class Action Lawsuit...first reply:
"After my third drive unit failure in less than 100,000 miles, I'm checking on a class-action against Tesla. This equates to a gas car blowing an entire engine every 33,000 miles. The Tesla shop will not provide the old DU even after a non-warranty repair, because they say "Tesla owns the old parts". I can never get a failed drive unit for an expert failure mode analysis, but having seen others who did this they report a consistent finding: Tesla mis-engineered the seals allowing coolant to leak into the DU over time, causing failure consistently, basically a guarantee. Failure in my case was sudden and catastrophic with no warning, while driving down a busy highway. This dangerous fault is also a major profit source for the repair centers which is something Elon Musk was absolutely adamant would not happen."
Now...wait for grump's hysterical reply! Keep the entertainment going! (Need a shovel?)
Tell me something new? My first DU failed from eddy currents flowing through a steel bearing. The replacement DU had a ceramic bearing. And obviously a failed seal. If you did the math it lasted less than 2 years. The car was going to the salvage yard before my sister asked for it.

Guess you never heard of a "core charge"? You don't get to keep the blown Kia engine after it is replaced unless you want to pay the core charge.

We used to have to pay core charges on water pumps before all the replacement water pumps started coming from China. Before that, American companies rebuilt OE parts.

Buy a new starter batter for your ICE? Core charge.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,585  
I saw some new Pilot/Flying J DCFC stations are charging .64/kwh. If you used those instead of charging at home, ev fueling would cost about the same as an ICEV that gets 15 mpg.
Yup. The ignorant can't seem to understand why all EVs do not charge at "gas stations".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,587  
Yup. The ignorant can't seem to understand why all EVs do not charge at "gas stations".
No they all charge at home...which is why EV owners need a home every 100 miles or so.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,588  
And don’t get me started on keeping my F250 diesel filled. I won’t let it get before 1/2 tank in case of shtf emergency. I tell my kids to not let the gas tank get below 1/4 tank to protect fuel pump and to not be stranded on the road.
I believe the fuel pump thing is a myth.

I have taken fuel pumps apart and run in open air. Disassembled failed fuel pumps. The failed pumps had worn out brushes. All had centripetal speed regulators. And all modern vehicles have fuel pump cutouts if the ICE isn't running for 15-30 seconds. In ancient times cheapskate designers often put submerged fuel pumps in gas tanks without the fuel pump cutout. If one sat in the car out of gas with ignition on the pump continued to run and would burn itself out. Running the tank low, even out of fuel now and then, won't hurt anything.

On the other hand if the system loses it's prime one may have a bad time getting fuel flowing again. First hand experience with F-250 Powerstroke replacing the fuel water filter under the cab.

First time I saw a centripetal motor speed regulator was in little motor used by Porsche to pull cabin air through a temperature sensor in my 928S. Motor wasn't running and cost million$ so I took it apart and cleaned.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,589  
If I have to read between the lines I’m not going to pay to do it. .
Not going to support liberal rags.
Yup.

But, when it comes time to purchase a refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer/dryer, I might get a 30 day online membership or go to the public library.

Again, have to read between the lines. CU's "top rated" is often not rated on the same scale as I consider important. Likely they are consider the manufacturer's DEI practices somewhere in their points rating.