Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,451  
Good grief! That's like buying a new ICE vehicle only to have the warranty null and void if the engine has 30% wear. It comes with 150,000 mile warranty but if it burns or leaks more than a pint of oil between changes you are s.o.l.
The worst newish car I had that was Bad like that was VW Rabbit .

36000 miles and I was getting about 400 miles a quart. It was a great mosquito fogger when first fired up.

VW had the Nerve to actually put it in the owners manual that 500 miles per quart was to be considered "Normal" oil consumption. Eventually the FTC caught up with them and I got the head rebuilt with new valve guides and seals.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,452  
If you read the acceptable amount of oil burning by car manufacturers it’s a pretty impressive amount for most of them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,453  
The worst newish car I had that was Bad like that was VW Rabbit .

36000 miles and I was getting about 400 miles a quart. It was a great mosquito fogger when first fired up.

VW had the Nerve to actually put it in the owners manual that 500 miles per quart was to be considered "Normal" oil consumption. Eventually the FTC caught up with them and I got the head rebuilt with new valve guides and seals.
I've heard that. The worse car I ever had I bought brand new 1972 Toyota Celica (I was 19, car in showroom with pretty college girls in it saying how cute it was .
At 14K miles it died...valves shot. I bought new valves, machine shop reworked head.
I bought an '82 VW Rabbit diesel pickup that was fantastic.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,454  
Well...except my wife & I 52 years ago each bought a new car which we financed...but never again since.
It's good for car dealers and lenders but the payments I have ever had are first mortgages...

Probably comes from my grandmother who always said without cash in hand you can't afford it...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,455  
I've heard that. The worse car I ever had I bought brand new 1972 Toyota Celica (I was 19, car in showroom with pretty college girls in it saying how cute it was .
At 14K miles it died...valves shot. I bought new valves, machine shop reworked head.
I bought an '82 VW Rabbit diesel pickup that was fantastic.
72 Corona that went 180,000 miles with no engine work... no rust sold easily to the first person that came to see it.

14,000 miles is nothing on a new car.

Reminds of the time my neighbor bought a brand new 1966 Chevrolet Wagon for a trip to visit family in Alaska.

When they returned he went straight to the dealer and raised cain saying the car is junk... steering wouldn't hold alignment and tires wore out ..

Service manager said he had never seen anything like it... Ball Joints A-Arms, Shocks... all shot on one trip.

All replaced under warranty...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,456  
72 Corona that went 180,000 miles with no engine work... no rust sold easily to the first person that came to see it.

14,000 miles is nothing on a new car.

Reminds of the time my neighbor bought a brand new 1966 Chevrolet Wagon for a trip to visit family in Alaska.

When they returned he went straight to the dealer and raised cain saying the car is junk... steering wouldn't hold alignment and tires wore out ..

Service manager said he had never seen anything like it... Ball Joints A-Arms, Shocks... all shot on one trip.

All replaced under warranty...
The Alcan highway. Many years ago when we went it was rough! I read now it's paved.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,457  
The Alcan highway. Many years ago when we went it was rough! I read now it's paved.
He did have to replace a windshield and a headlight from gravel road driving...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,458  
I am seeing more negative articles on EVs. Some of the "faults" have been there for years. But now, the same faults seem to have become justification for vilifying EVs.

I consider myself an EV realist. There is nothing currently I would want to purchase but that may change in the future.

EVs could be ideal for many folks as proven by folks here who are very pleased with their EVs.

So, I wonder, what is the agenda driving the negative stuff posted on so called news feeds on the web. I thought for a while it was anti-Musk drivel, but it seems more widespread than that.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I imagining it?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,459  
I am seeing more negative articles on EVs. Some of the "faults" have been there for years. But now, the same faults seem to have become justification for vilifying EVs.

I consider myself an EV realist. There is nothing currently I would want to purchase but that may change in the future.

EVs could be ideal for many folks as proven by folks here who are very pleased with their EVs.

So, I wonder, what is the agenda driving the negative stuff posted on so called news feeds on the web. I thought for a while it was anti-Musk drivel, but it seems more widespread than that.

Remember each creates his own or her own reality on this planet!

Henry Ford is said to have said the man who states he can do X is likely correct and the man that states he can not do X is likely correct.

Some of us are happy to let Goggle pull up the results that feeds our biases letting others do our thinking for us.

Some of us are happy to let Goggle find pro and con reports on EVs before we source the cash to send to Tesla.

Grumpycat sourced and sent Tesla the cash for his 2013 Model S. Ten years later he sent Tesla half as much cash to source his 2023 Model Y from Tesla.

He has a farm so I trust him to be honest.

In 2019 I sourced $13.5K to purchase a 2016 Nissan Leaf with 22K miles and in need of a $13K battery which we still regularly drive.

In Jan 2023 after my son strong armed me to order a 2023 Model Y and I did. Six days later he drove me to Nashville to pick it up. 34 days later on my 72nd birthday for $200 monthly I added FSD.. 25,000 miles later I still have a smile on my face.

Coming back from my midnight coffee run this morning I felt the brakes go on and saw a deer running away from the road.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,460  

EVs are a deadly threat to a lot of the old structures in the automotive industry, and the way to sell, maintain and supply service to car industry and car owners. The suppliers of fuel and the oil industry are probably not particularly happy for EVs. So the question is who is paying to push this negative agenda against EVs.