Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,951  
I haven't bought an EV yet, but if/when I do, the primary factors will be convenience and performance.

1. I want to just plug the car in when I get home at night, since driving 5-10 miles to the nearest gas station is a PITA. There are no gas stations along the route I drive in my daily travels, and in 7 years with my present sedan, it's never been more than 100 miles from my house. Ideal scenario for charging it overnight at home.

2. I've driven a handful of EV's, and while admittedly all higher-performance models, they're a hell of a lot of fun at local-road speeds. Their off the line launch torque is just mind-bending, and I don't really need a 200 mph car.

Everything else on your list is of lesser importance to me.

Save the planet? Can't hurt, but not a primary goal.

Save money? Not at present. They are mechanically much simpler than ICE's, so someday their cost should trend below ICE. But that won't happen until the sales volume and new development both reach a point where cost is not dominated by R&D expense.

Go fast? Hell yeah, as always. But I also only buy fast ICE's, so not a primary factor.

Entice purchase with tax money? I probably make too much to qualify for any available incentives.

Discourage travel? Huh?

FSD to assist driving abilities (!!??!!) Hell will freeze over, before I buy or use FSD. I like driving.
Discourage travel? Huh?
Of course. Travel my concern is destination incorporating other possible attractions...not with range and charger locations (meaning rerouting).
Routine everyday work trips is different. EV would be a vacation headache.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,952  
$12k depreciation in a year is terrible IMO
We bought a used 2003 Chevy Malibu in 2004 for $13,000
Its still in the family, our son is still driving that car.
Apparently the cheap cars like the Kia Rio I bought don't depreciate hardly at all. (Kelly)
2024_03_06_14.36.04.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,953  
Discourage travel? Huh?
Of course. Travel my concern is destination incorporating other possible attractions...not with range and charger locations (meaning rerouting).
Routine everyday work trips is different. EV would be a vacation headache.
Agreed. See my prior comments about Hertz. If (likely when) we buy an EV, we'll likely still keep an ICE for longer trips. Although, admittedly, I usually opt for flying longer distances now. In my 20's, I did a lot of long drives, straight thru to Florida, Michigan, Connecticut, Vermont... I can afford to fly and rent a car at the destination, now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,954  
I'm just amazed at the reasoning here on the part of EV owners and the government.
What's the purpose (of EV purchase)?
To:
Save the planet?
Save money?
Go fast?
Entice purchase with tax money?
Discourage travel?
FSD to assist driving abilities (!!??!!)

I see a comedy of errors.

Interesting to me (ref:NTU):
"the top 50 percent of filers earned 90 percent of all income and were responsible for 98 percent of all income taxes paid in 2021. The other half of earners, those with incomes below $46,637, collectively paid 2.3 percent of all income taxes in 2021."

The government "offers a carrot" to the stupid paying the least tax as everyone's electric bill increases.
Rates up 10% on a commercial account with $25,000 monthly at 33 cents kWh.

Residential is much higher!

The early EV adoptors in my circle bought because they have plenty of home and office solar, single occupant carpool privileges and tax incentives ..

The early Leaf was most popular choice.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,955  
Rates up 10% on a commercial account with $25,000 monthly at 33 cents kWh.

Residential is much higher!

The early EV adoptors in my circle bought because they have plenty of home and office solar, single occupant carpool privileges and tax incentives ..

The early Leaf was most popular choice.
Just what the average American has….solar at home and office

No HOV lanes in my state that I am aware of.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,956  
Spend money to make money.
Brilliant idea!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,957  
The $44k “stripper” includes AWD, and the ability to run on gasoline.
2 huge options you don’t get with the 44k model Y.
Just sayn

Why are you still arguing about which car is cheaper? Unless dealers are offering massive incentives a Toyota Rav 4 Prime top trim will list out at $53k.
So do us all a favor and shut your trap about things you are ignorant.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,958  
Toyota stock price is flying this year. +37.5%
Ford +1.7% Doubled my position yesterday, nice dividends
GM +11.8%
Stellantis +16.5%
Rivian -53%
Lucid -24% it is down to 3.19/share, how much lower can it go?
Tesla -29.0% I may pick up a few shares in the 150's if it gets there.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,959  
That has nothing to do with the depreciation of the asset. All you are saying is the tax payer paid half of your depreciation. The asset still depreciated. The asset still lost 25% of it's value, and the tax payer sent you a check for $7500.
You can't say the car didn't depreciate, because your neighbor sent you a check and you decide to apply it to the depreciation of your car

Welp. Grumpycat and I need to sell our Y.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,960  
You are the misinformed one. You said, "I guess I'm looking at the RAV4 plug in hybrid,"

Plug In Hybrid is not the same as Hybrid. The difference is as great as FWD vs AWD.

You are arguing with people who are ignorant of EVs.