Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,861  
Rav 4 Prime hybrid and it is nice but my Y is better in almost every metric.
Interesting, of all metrics you find important, apparently you don’t consider…..range. The RAV4 Prime can run indefinitely without daily plugging and unplugging if desired, and can run up to 600 miles on gasoline. Something your Tesla…. can not, do.
That must be your “almost” every metric part.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,862  
Interesting, of all metrics you find important, apparently you don’t consider…..range. The RAV4 Prime can indefinitely without daily plugging, unplugging, and can run up to 600 miles on gasoline. Something your Tesla…. can not, do.

Which is why I said "in almost..." My Y is THE best car I've ever owned.....E.....V.....E....R. And you can take that to the bank!
Face it. You are adhering to old technology. Come in to the 21st century.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,863  
Which is why I said "in almost..." My Y is THE best car I've ever owned.....E.....V.....E....R. And you can take that to the bank!
Face it. You are adhering to old technology. Come in to the 21st century.
Actually , a plug in hybrid has more technology than a straight BEV

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,864  
Actually , a plug in hybrid has more technology than a straight BEV
And the 600 mile rated scenario you posted above is really irrelevant to most people. Who's going to drive 600 miles without a restroom break? And most people's driving is within 40 miles. By the time I need to get to a supercharger I'm ready for a break. So keep posting losing arguments. :D

What is the significance of your forum name?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,865  

Am starting to think some have not actually grasped the WHY of ICE death spiral.

This 22 minute video should help enable most to wake up and get a glimpse of the unboxed method of car manufacturing and why it's is the way forward for the first time perhaps.
I watched about 2/3's of it. Much of what they talk about has nothing to do with EV's. And there was a fair amount of BS thrown around.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,866  
For us, range matters...we do some very long drives to see family in other states, regularly. If a fuel stop is 5 mins at a pump or less, and pumps are everywhere... That's less of a diversion than having to find a charger on our route and stop for... I don't know, 20-30 minutes at the "pump"? The hybrid really covers a lot of this, because the other half of the driving is almost always within the battery alone range. If someone made an EV with a 500 mile real life range... Not 500 miles 0-100 percent, no AC, no heat, no headwinds... I'd be all over it for the right price. That would fit MY needs. I don't like the 250 mile range, maybe, start the drive and see what happens due to atmospheric conditions stuff.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,867  
For us, range matters...we do some very long drives to see family in other states, regularly. If a fuel stop is 5 mins at a pump or less, and pumps are everywhere... That's less of a diversion than having to find a charger on our route and stop for... I don't know, 20-30 minutes at the "pump"? The hybrid really covers a lot of this, because the other half of the driving is almost always within the battery alone range. If someone made an EV with a 500 mile real life range... Not 500 miles 0-100 percent, no AC, no heat, no headwinds... I'd be all over it for the right price. That would fit MY needs. I don't like the 250 mile range, maybe, start the drive and see what happens due to atmospheric conditions stuff.
Your fuel stop is going to be more than 5 minutes because unless you are by yourself someone in the car will need to use the restroom or go inside for food or drink.
There is really little diversion to finding a charger with a Tesla. And by the time we get out of the restroom and purchase something the charging is almost done (~20 minutes). No smelly fuel or finding a gas pump during crowded holidays.
But again the majority of your driving is going to be local and within 40 miles round trip so this tired argument is irrelevant.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,868  
Your fuel stop is going to be more than 5 minutes because unless you are by yourself someone in the car will need to use the restroom or go inside for food or drink.
There is really little diversion to finding a charger with a Tesla. And by the time we get out of the restroom and purchase something the charging is almost done (~20 minutes). No smelly fuel or finding a gas pump during crowded holidays.
But again the majority of your driving is going to be local and within 40 miles round trip so this tired argument is irrelevant.

To you it is. Just like your justifications are relevant to you. I agree it meets your needs. You can't agree it doesn't meet everyone else's. That's really the only difference. My wife pumps gas, while I piss. I'm the only person needing a stop on a 4+ hour drive, and they make fun of me for it relentlessly 😂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,869  
That news has been around awhile, I remember hearing the same from another source last year, and it makes sense that tire wear is going to be higher on a heavier and torquier sedan, with constantly-active regen braking probably adding to tire wear. But on the flip side, not all "pollution" is equal. The concern with roadside rubber particulates being washed into waterways may be much lower than tailpipe emissions or brake pad particulates from ICE's. I don't know.

Listen, the only way to not impact our environment is to sit home and eat grass all day. Hell, even then, I'm probably accidentally squishing some poor dust mites under my feet, and killing a few worms. Claiming EV's wear out tires faster than ICE's feels like a similar argument to me, highlighting something that's probably small and irrelevant, as some sort of negating factor against their clear and overwhelmingly lesser impact on air quality and greenhouse gas emissions. They're certainly not perfect, but there's no way to argue they're not better, from a purely emissions-based perspective.
"They're certainly not perfect, but there's no way to argue they're not better, from a purely emissions-based perspective."
That's what my LA friend with 2 EVs tells me since he understands pollution is simply displaced. LA smog is less, he knows manufacturing the EV, solar panels, batteries, electricity generation, wind turbines, etc., etc. pollutes.