Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,752  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,753  
If I owned a battery car, I’d get a feel of real world range vs predicted, before I relied on it.
I think I’d just plan 200 max if it said 250 PLUS. AND, if you want to respect the like 20-80% recommendation for battery longevity, you now drop to 120 miles. I have a couple friends that own Teslas, and they never charge to 100, or go below 10-20%… further reducing the range.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,755  
I think I’d just plan 200 max if it said 250 PLUS. AND, if you want to respect the like 20-80% recommendation for battery longevity, you now drop to 120 miles. I have a couple friends that own Teslas, and they never charge to 100, or go below 10-20%… further reducing the range.
Yup. That’s a disadvantage EV owners have to be mindful of. Depth of discharge, charge rate, and trying to charge to 100% all have negative impacts on the battery lifespan.
With an ICE, you don’t have to worry about shortening the lifespan of a $10k component, because you filled your tank fast, or filled it above 80%, or ran below 20%.
If you want the convenience of not plugging in every day, and only fast charging when needed, you’re going to have a shorter battery life

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,756  

Dunne went to China about 30 years ago and seems to have a good grasp of Asia EV car industry.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,757  
Maybe but most solar installs are adding batteries at the time of install... California.
Over 50% of solar installs in California include batteries? That's impressive if true. Can you provide a link as evidence?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,758  
Over 50% of solar installs in California include batteries? That's impressive if true. Can you provide a link as evidence?
It’s more than half from my observation just walking the neighborhood of recent installs with the push being battery backups installed with the panels are eligible for the solar rebates and incentives and credits.

Batteries not installed with panels are not.

My location is the SF East Bay.

Several installs neighbors delayed because batteries back ordered and they wanted the package.

After going through some very lengthy power grid shut downs demand for batteries increased.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,760  

It was a huge deal and nothing like had ever experienced before.

One of the largest California fires was blamed on aging utility equipment during very dry and windy conditions in late summer.

There was such a backlash the the only way PGE could be sure no repeat is they pulled the plug on vast sections on California when similar conditions reappeared.