Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,311  
I know very little about EV's. But a thought hit me the other day. Do EV's have an interlock to prevent them from being driven while being charged? Or will we see people drive with a charging cable ripped out of the wall, just like you see people (once in a great while) driving with a gas hose hanging from their car.

Doug in SW IA

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,312  
Looks like an entrepreneur is trying to come up with a solution for apartment dwellers for Tesla EV's.

If I read the description right continuously charges a pack up It has a 240 VAC output inverter, so while home you have a much higher output than a 120 VAC would allow.

Ball park initial pricing of $7000. Cha Ching.

The idea is workable, but puts the load of say running a 1500 watt heater run 24/7, just a combination of available equipment.

So you get home to the complex and plug into the inverter/ pack while the 120VAC is still fully loaded.

Maybe get a 100 miles charge overnight which is much better than 45 miles or so.

Interesting. Much, Much preferable to have level two
240 VAC from the grid as far as cost though.
It does seem to be if there is a will there is a way and tune in next week on Shark Tank...

He’s packaged an inverter with batteries. The only uniqueness is discharging the batteries while still drawing current from the 120 volts outlet.
So you end up with a heavy load basically 24/7 on one 120 volt outlet circuit.
$7 grand in addition to the expensive battery car? If you need to do something like this, (240 volt circuit is a lot cheaper), then you picked the wrong vehicle

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,314  
Looks like an entrepreneur is trying to come up with a solution for apartment dwellers for Tesla EV's.

If I read the description right continuously charges a pack up It has a 240 VAC output inverter, so while home you have a much higher output than a 120 VAC would allow.

Ball park initial pricing of $7000. Cha Ching.

The idea is workable, but puts the load of say running a 1500 watt heater run 24/7, just a combination of available equipment.

So you get home to the complex and plug into the inverter/ pack while the 120VAC is still fully loaded.

Maybe get a 100 miles charge overnight which is much better than 45 miles or so.

Interesting. Much, Much preferable to have level two
240 VAC from the grid as far as cost though.
It does seem to be if there is a will there is a way and tune in next week on Shark Tank...

What a deal! $125/month to rent!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,315  
But, but....landlords must install level 2 chargers or renters will leave!!!
He says he moves around a lot.

And somehow thinks a $125/month box is affordable but somehow it is too expensive for a landlord to add L2 in the parking lot?

Seriously, sometimes the "gas station model", is the best option for some folks.
Never.

I question the thought process of an engineer (this guys claims to be one) who buys an EV then realizes it does not fit his needs. Like DUHHH, the thing needs to get charged...you think?
Isn't terribly market savvy is he? Most engineers I met in my career were not.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,316  
$7 grand in addition to the expensive battery car? If you need to do something like this, (240 volt circuit is a lot cheaper), then you picked the wrong vehicle
You picked the wrong apartment.

One will come along with an L2 in the parking lot.

And then every apartment complex will realize they too have to do it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,317  
I know very little about EV's. But a thought hit me the other day. Do EV's have an interlock to prevent them from being driven while being charged? Or will we see people drive with a charging cable ripped out of the wall, just like you see people (once in a great while) driving with a gas hose hanging from their car.
Yes. There is an interlock. EV will not move with cable attached to the charge port. Even if the cable is not powered.

Non-EV drivers, EV Haters, often wet dream of putting a portable genset in the back and looping it around to the charge port for nonstop driving. Portable gensets are way too small even if one could charge while driving. Why do they think a tiny engine could power the vehicle when "normal" ICE vehicles use engines 10-50x larger?

Some picture a genset on a trailer. More practical size but still won't work.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,319  
Guys, the game goes, "yo' mamma so ugly that..."

It's not, "my mamma so ugly that..."

You've both gotten it backwards!
Sure. Watch what happens:
We took a day trip in our new Kia Rio. It was a very comfortable ride, handled well, the GPS was stellar, the 8 speed transmission shifted smoothly with sufficient engine power getting 47 m.p.g. to boot.
Now...wait for it...it's coming.
2024_02_21_10.07.44.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,320  
Sure. Watch what happens:
We took a day trip in our new Kia Rio. It was a very comfortable ride, handled well, the GPS was stellar, the 8 speed transmission shifted smoothly with sufficient engine power getting 47 m.p.g. to boot.
Now...wait for it...it's coming.View attachment 853432
I thought they all came with CVT, what year?