Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,771  
Mach E weighs 4920 lbs.
Edge ST weighs 3500 lbs.

I can't help but think that extra 1420 lbs. might cause a problem climbing a slippery snow covered hill, or descending one for that matter.
Many times I have read on this forum that more weight=more traction not less, at least with tractors.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,772  
Many times I have read on this forum that more weight=more traction not less, at least with tractors.
The steep incline is the issue in this case, along with slick conditions. In my experience it's easier to get 3000 lbs. up a hill than 5000 lbs. It's also easier to stop 3000 lbs. than 5000 lbs., especially going down a hill. 😅

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,773  
Another question for us would be vehicle weight/hill climbing ability. We have a very challenging hill to climb when it snows, both on the way into our property and out of it. It's a very large ravine actually with a dam at the bottom.

I can get up it in a light weight front wheel drive or a medium weight all wheel drive. I've had a Honda Crosstour awd and a full sized 93 Bronco stuck on that hill.

How much heavier is a medium EV SUV than an ICE SUV?

Tesla's are heavy for their size. More weight is more to move up a hill, it is also higher lbs.per square inch of tread as well.
My Model Y weighs as much as my old Jeep Quadra-trac truck did
They do have advanced traction control though, ground clearance is less than most Subaru's
The Grind Hard plumbing guy I ran into told me that I would be really surprised with how much traction the model Y has. They have built some wild off road vehicles.
We will see, I have new 18" wheels with Nokian Studded snows that are taller and narrower than the rubber band uber wheels and super low profile stock tires. My guess is the stock tires and ground clearance are the limiting factors on the 3 and Y

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,774  
Tesla's are heavy for their size. More weight is more to move up a hill, it is also higher lbs.per square inch of tread as well.
My Model Y weighs as much as my old Jeep Quadra-trac truck did
They do have advanced traction control though, ground clearance is less than most Subaru's
The Grind Hard plumbing guy I ran into told me that I would be really surprised with how much traction the model Y has. They have built some wild off road vehicles.
We will see, I have new 18" wheels with Nokian Studded snows that are taller and narrower than the rubber band uber wheels and super low profile stock tires. My guess is the stock tires and ground clearance are the limiting factors on the 3 and Y
I'm looking forward to seeing how my wife's new Michelin Cross Climate 2's handle the snow. I did manage to curb rash one of her 21 in. black rims the other day. I took it off and painted it last weekend :LOL:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,775  
I'm looking forward to seeing how my wife's new Michelin Cross Climate 2's handle the snow. I did manage to curb rash one of her 21 in. black rims the other day. I took it off and painted it last weekend :LOL:
OOps, did the same thing to the left front uber 21 in the first week or so, makes a very unpleasant sound.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,776  
Mach E weighs 4920 lbs.
Edge ST weighs 3500 lbs.

I can't help but think that extra 1420 lbs. might cause a problem climbing a slippery snow covered hill, or descending one for that matter.
I find weight helpful at at low speed. Expect Mach E to become lighter when it becomes more competitive as a true from ground up competitor to the Model Y. Recently Bill Ford said their current EV line up contains too much ICE build technology to be competitive. Today Ford has to over spend on battery pack size to get competitive range. The UAW has removed GM and Ford's EV transitioning financing plan. Bill Farley mentioned the new costs could bankrupt the company. The strike at least set GM and Ford up for some debt forgiveness. Both have reduced EV roll out plans as of last week. Tesla sees the the US economy in the dumpster for 2024 and Ford just raised a four billion line of credit.

Today I did see the current generation Mach E including rebate can be had for $13K off however since 1 Jan 2023 the Model Y is $25K down in purchase price. Too bad I don't live in Illinois then it would be down $29K :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,777  
OOps, did the same thing to the left front uber 21 in the first week or so, makes a very unpleasant sound.
I have done the same but my low budget unpainted wheels look ok from 20 foot
:)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,778  
I was explaining FSD capabilities of a Tesla to my 81-year-old dad the other day. His reaction was, "Why would I want that?" "That sounds boring" He still drives 80 miles per day, 6 days per week on his mail route. He doesn't want a smart phone either. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,779  
WOW if I lived north by 40 miles....
Again...for low income and as State rep David Friess, R. says:

"In my area and most of southern Illinois, we are talking about rural communities. Going from point A to point B in an EV then having to get a charge somewhere is just not practical," Friess said. "It makes zero sense."
According to previous reporting by The Center Square, the EV program has awarded $19 million in rebates. The law requires Illinois EPA to prioritize application reviews from lower-income buyers and award them with rebates. However, the program also subsidized the purchase of 121 BMWs, 101 Audi E-trons, 25 Lucid Air Grand Touring, 25 Mercedes-Benzs, and 25 Porsches, vehicles that are typically purchased at a high price point.
It's all Green New Deal, taxpayer money. EV's
result in cleaner air? Manufacturing, batteries, charging regardless of how creates pollution.
Insanity...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,780  
I kind of like this concept. Great power, extended range, and you can use it as an emergency generator.

1698198933439.png