Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,761  
Received notice in the mail yesterday, our electricity cost per kwh is going up 39% Jan. 1, 2024. On the other hand, gasoline just dropped about 12%.

An EV will cost me about $0.06 per mile vs my ICE that's costing me about $0.08 per mile.

My wife's ICE on the other hand is costing her closer to $0.15 per mile.
What is your current cost per kWh? Our rate is just under 11¢ per kWh or about 3¢ per mile driven.

If one is 65 and has a new like fossil fuel powered vehicle cost wise getting a Tesla is not a financial winning move if longevity and and air quality is not a driving factor.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,762  
What is your current cost per kWh? Our rate is just under 11¢ per kWh or about 3¢ per mile driven.

If one is 65 and has a new like fossil fuel powered vehicle cost wise getting a Tesla is not a financial winning move if longevity and and air quality is not a driving factor.
It changes monthly depending on usage since the electricity is just one part of the equation. I think the last time I checked it was around $0.14 but will be going up in January now. I still calculate between 5 and 6 cents per mile come January. Probably between 4 and 5 cents per mile currently.

Having said that, I would still consider an EV for my wife if we could find one very similar to her AWD Edge ST. We really love that vehicle except for the mpg which we knew would be the case when we bought it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,763  
It changes monthly depending on usage since the electricity is just one part of the equation. I think the last time I checked it was around $0.14 but will be going up in January now. I still calculate between 5 and 6 cents per mile come January. Probably between 4 and 5 cents per mile currently.

Having said that, I would still consider an EV for my wife if we could find one very similar to her AWD Edge ST. We really love that vehicle except for the mpg which we knew would be the case when we bought it.
That Edge is a nice car. I need FSD so that defined my EV option. Your electric rates are good. I think 17¢ is considered the national average..

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,764  
Another question for us would be vehicle weight/hill climbing ability. We have a very challenging hill to climb when it snows, both on the way into our property and out of it. It's a very large ravine actually with a dam at the bottom.

I can get up it in a light weight front wheel drive or a medium weight all wheel drive. I've had a Honda Crosstour awd and a full sized 93 Bronco stuck on that hill.

How much heavier is a medium EV SUV than an ICE SUV?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,765  
Electricity companies in Canada have all sorts of admin and infrastructure maintenance monthly costs on top of the cost per kwhr. Many years ago it was a simpler bill . But to keep it simple for comparable discussion. My bill for Aug 2023 was $141.00 Canadian....I used 742 kwh. So that comes to 19 cents a Kw hour. Keep in mind that exchange rate to US funds comparison would be 4 or 5 cents more.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,766  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,767  
Another question for us would be vehicle weight/hill climbing ability. We have a very challenging hill to climb when it snows, both on the way into our property and out of it. It's a very large ravine actually with a dam at the bottom.

I can get up it in a light weight front wheel drive or a medium weight all wheel drive. I've had a Honda Crosstour awd and a full sized 93 Bronco stuck on that hill.

How much heavier is a medium EV SUV than an ICE SUV?
Model Y dual motor long range curb weight is about 4500 pounds. We got ours in January right before some snow and and ice. It's better than the Subaru on snow and ice. We live at the top of a steep hill on a narrow county road.

I wanted to take the old Subaru but the son said he didn't have me get the Tesla to look pretty in the driveway. At 72 spending money on vehicles still seems like SIN. :)

Thankfully Elon Musk is still cutting prices to try to keep payments flat in the face of rising interest rates.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,768  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #11,769  
Mach E weighs 4920 lbs.
Edge ST weighs 3500 lbs.

I can't help but think that extra 1420 lbs. might cause a problem climbing a slippery snow covered hill, or descending one for that matter.