Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,751  
I wonder what the projected carbon footprint of an EV is??? I'll spend part of a snowy afternoon in the shop researching that.
You asking about per mile or the total manufacturing process, or both?

It would be interesting to find both.

But honestly, I doubt anyone here is concerned about the environmental impact manufacturing a brand new F150 gas, diesel, OR battery vehicle actually causes.

Most of them are using the "battery building harms the environment" argument to justify their stance on the possibility of being forced to ditch their fossil fuel vehicle. They really don't give a poop about the environmental impact their gas or diesel pickup or tractor causes, let alone the impact of its manufacturing process. The arguments that climate change isn't real, we'll never run out of oil or natural gas, solar and wind are crap, etc., are strong here.

And don't get me wrong. I drive vehicles just like everyone else, use gasoline, neither are very efficient, we live in a house, use electricity, natural gas, burn wood, ride on airplanes, etc. (I eat meat, too. 😬 YIKES! ).

It's just interesting seeing the strong arguments against environmentalism here over the past 21 years and now the sudden shift towards environmentalism regarding only battery manufacturing. I just don't buy it as sincere. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,752  
That's fine, except 1 gallon of burnt gas produces about 20 pounds of CO2.

It's been discussed here on TBN several times.

So the 3821.3 gallons X 20 pounds = about 76,000# of CO2.
Divide that 76,000# / 2204 and you get about 35 metric tons.
That's more than twice the 16 metric tons mentioned above.
Then you have to factor 25% ICE efficiency, except "Toyota engineers unveiled a new 2.0-L four-cylinder gasoline engine family it dubs “Dynamic Force.” There will be two versions initially—one for purely ICE-powered vehicles and a revised Atkinson-cycle version for hybrid-electric applications. Toyota claims the conventional version will achieve 40% peak thermal efficiency."
So Toyota ICE 40% efficiency. As time goes on the ice is becoming more efficient.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,753  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,754  
So how was the drive back ?
It was 6 hours because of the intense training Austin was providing for me.
Anything stand out that surprised you about the car on the trip?
Everything was a surprise about the Model Y and how Austin could grasp and teach from the in car YouTube videos.
Were the headlights adequate?
Headlights are adequate to the power of 10 and in Automatic mode as well.

Does the driver seat height seem "high" enough for easy entry?
It's like car was designed specifically to address my limitations of getting in and out of vehicles in general. In my case the adjusting seat height range was more than adequate.
How did the car track, Did it have good "On Center" feel?
Man you have to do a test drive. Currently my Model Y software settings are configured in Standard Mode and the Tesla rep told Austin to make sure l left them unchanged for the first several weeks. The car in stock mode runs like a bat out of hell but it does have a software Track Mode for tracking the car on asphalt strips. I bought the car to help with my longevity..

Still wondering if All model Y LR's are built in Austin now, or If residing in the Pacific Northwest M Y's orders are built/filled from Fremont??
Today Model Y come from California and Texas. I read about one guy who took his delivery in California and was pleased to find out it was built in Texas.

Note much has been left out of this original post you made above so I can start to get my pea brain wrapped around the 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range details and why it is Light Years ahead of OEMs trying to build EVs out of ICE parts bins. I am not sure this car was designed on this planet. The function of every part is software controlled as if it was a space craft or a robot on Mars. I am starting to grasp the intelligence behind Tesla's Over The Air updating skill set..I just realized after thinking about your post Tesla has NO competition coming but that is another thread perhaps.

This last box was actually my edits and it's not yours.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,755  
You asking about per mile or the total manufacturing process, or both?

It would be interesting to find both.

But honestly, I doubt anyone here is concerned about the environmental impact manufacturing a brand new F150 gas, diesel, OR battery vehicle actually causes.

Most of them are using the "battery building harms the environment" argument to justify their stance on the possibility of being forced to ditch their fossil fuel vehicle. They really don't give a poop about the environmental impact their gas or diesel pickup or tractor causes, let alone the impact of its manufacturing process. The arguments that climate change isn't real, we'll never run out of oil or natural gas, solar and wind are crap, etc., are strong here.

And don't get me wrong. I drive vehicles just like everyone else, use gasoline, neither are very efficient, we live in a house, use electricity, natural gas, burn wood, ride on airplanes, etc. (I eat meat, too. 😬 YIKES! ).

It's just interesting seeing the strong arguments against environmentalism here over the past 21 years and now the sudden shift towards environmentalism regarding only battery manufacturing. I just don't buy it as sincere. ;)
I was referring to the carbon footprint of the vehicle from conception to death.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,756  
It was 6 hours because of the intense training Austin was providing for me.

Everything was a surprise about the Model Y and how Austin could grasp and teach from the in car YouTube videos.

Headlights are adequate to the power of 10 and in Automatic mode as well.

It's like car was designed specifically to address my limitations of getting in and out of vehicles in general. In my case the adjusting seat height range was more than adequate.

Man you have to do a test drive. Currently my Model Y software settings are configured in Standard Mode and the Tesla rep told Austin to make sure l left them unchanged for the first several weeks. The car in stock mode runs like a bat out of hell but it does have a software Track Mode for tracking the car on asphalt strips. I bought the car to help with my longevity..

Today Model Y come from California and Texas. I read about one guy who took his delivery in California and was pleased to find out it was built in Texas.

This last box was actually my edits and it's not yours.
Thanks for the update and answers Gale. It is appreciated. (y)

So just so I understand, headlights to a power of 10 , means a full order of magnitude better than most any other set of standard DOT compliant road lighting out there?

Glad to hear the seat height is right in the zone. That was /is a Big consideration for me as well and it along with Really wanting AWD for winter driving, were really at the top of importance to me.

When I asked about how the car "tracked"
Actually was just asking, if in normal driving the vehicle went where pointed when driving.

But That is Interesting that these price reduced Long Range Y's can be set to Track, Didn't know Tesla was going to include the "Track Mode" software
It sure worked on the S model when turned on for Spirited driving.

This will be a completely New experience for me

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,757  
Thanks for the update and answers Gale. It is appreciated. (y)

So just so I understand, headlights to a power of 10 , means a full order of magnitude better than most any other set of standard DOT compliant road lighting out there?

Glad to hear the seat height is right in the zone. That was /is a Big consideration for me as well and it along with Really wanting AWD for winter driving, were really at the top of importance to me.

When I asked about how the car "tracked"
Actually was just asking, if in normal driving the vehicle went where pointed when driving.

But That is Interesting that these price reduced Long Range Y's can be set to Track, Didn't know Tesla was going to include the "Track Mode" software
It sure worked on the S model when turned on for Spirited driving.

This will be a completely New experience for me
Power of 10 is an expression in my mind that means beyond my expectations. I have never had a vehicle that I could sit in the seat and at its computer as and the program, the height and the angle of the headlights for example.

Both axles being powered is a must at this point. Life is becoming better and more enjoyable day by day but I still have limitations and I don't want to get stuck somewhere because I was turning around and missed a driveway etc etc.

The three backup camera system has me training myself to back in the parking spots that are not pulled throughs instead of pulling it and it had to worry about getting out and not being able to see well.

The Autopilot self steering feature shows how stable the car on roads full of sharp curves with no steering or breaking inputs from you.

The car is good at out thinking/driving it's human. Most over 50 are slowing and/or becoming complacent.

My new learning experience is to let the car train me how it wants to drive so I understand the coming FSD.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,758  
Is that Autopilot included in the price? Or could Tesla have turned it on short term then you need a subscription to continue it?

What you described should meet anyone's needs.

And congratulations!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,759  
Some of you guys amaze me.

The "impact on the environment" has never been, and will never be, something I think about when deciding on what vehicle to purchase.

I did not go to MIT but have stayed in a Holiday Inn many times, and have a modicum of common sense.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,760  
Is that Autopilot included in the price? Or could Tesla have turned it on short term then you need a subscription to continue it?

What you described should meet anyone's needs.

And congratulations!

Autopilot is included with all models. Upgrades can be purchased lump sum for advanced autopilot and Full Self Driving. Or they can be purchased on a subscription basis.

I did a couple of months with FSD, but plenty happy with the basic autopilot. Probably 75% of the miles on the care have been in autopilot mode.