Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,942  
A self inflicted shortage in North America is still a shortage, and the fastest to market will be the " enemy" countries like China, Russia...or African or South American countries , all of which can get a mine up and running in 2 yrs or less by ignoring all safe or pollution mitigation processes.....meanwhile it takes at least 10 yrs to get one up and running in Canada and that is only if the Native tribes agree to it, and so far none of them want it . So yes a shortage . And recycling of batteries minerals is a labour intensive process that will also end up being shipping to third world countries like we see now for similar recycle product processes.
It only takes 10 years because the government doesn't want it in the first place.

There is no reason we can not safely start a mine in 2 years other than arbitrary bureaucracy. When we put our minds to it even government can put a man on the moon in 9 years.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,943  
It only takes 10 years because the government doesn't want it in the first place.

There is no reason we can not safely start a mine in 2 years other than arbitrary bureaucracy. When we put our minds to it even government can put a man on the moon in 9 years.
Wrong......I was in the mining industry for 15 yrs in Ontario, and still follow diligently.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,944  
Yes sir, I’ve checked out their videos a few times. I expect their business model to become more commonplace and the service price to come down.

Just need the volume of customers, which is coming. Nearly 4 million Teslas on the road now, not sure what that value looks like for all EV manufacturers. Then they need to age sufficiently out of warranty to need repairs.
Apparently they can do bumper to bumper repairs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,945  
Apparently they can do bumper to bumper repairs.

That Guy must have never taken the average CV Joint apart to grease it with Moly or even replace a ripped boot.

I wouldn't let that guy near any of my cars especially the Tesla.
His demo example shows a standard universal joints and shaft.
That is Incorrect.

CV's half shafts like he showed installed in the Tesla Have ball bearings they ride in a cage, that assembly rides in an inner race and outer housing

People think greasing u joints and pins are messy but they are not near as bad as repacking the average CV
Double Cardan U joints are almost as much "fun" to reassemble as well since there are 2 u joints and a center pin that has needle bearings that need to be placed accurately as well.

CV Joints

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,946  
BTW, the 10 - 15 mi battery-only range ain't terrible. I'm sure that number wasn't derived accidentally, it probably hit a TCO minima, covering a large part of the majority of daily drives while managing up-front cost.
IMO, in addition to meeting whatever regulatory hurdle, it's probably where you start to see the benefits in stop and go traffic and past that you probably see diminishing returns on highway fuel milage.

A 20 year old diesel tractor it likely worth over 50% of its purchase price and can still be repaired nearly anywhere. Lots of unknowns for a hobby user investing in a new EV tractor.
True, but how will tomorrow's Diesel tractors with DPF, EGR and computers compare to tomorrow's Electric tractors? That will be the question.

The pre-emissions tractors will stay around as long as they can be repaired in a cost effective manner and are not made illegal to run like CA did with pre-emissions trucks.

Aaron Z

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,947  
That Guy must have never taken the average CV Joint apart to grease it with Moly or even replace a ripped boot.

I wouldn't let that guy near any of my cars especially the Tesla.
His demo example shows a standard universal joints and shaft.
That is Incorrect.

CV's half shafts like he showed installed in the Tesla Have ball bearings they ride in a cage, that assembly rides in an inner race and outer housing

People think greasing u joints and pins are messy but they are not near as bad as repacking the average CV
Double Cardan U joints are almost as much "fun" to reassemble as well since there are 2 u joints and a center pin that has needle bearings that need to be placed accurately as well.

CV Joints
@sd455dan just as heads up I got a letter yesterday in an envelope that looked like it could be a tax document from Tesla for filling 2023 taxes.

As it turned out it has no return address or company name. It has an 800 number to call to activate my Tesla warranty. It correctly describes my car and includes a VIN missing the last eight digits. The postal permit indicates indicates it was mailed from St Louis Missouri. The storm was moving in and I had a tight schedule so I just set aside because it looks like those extended warranty scams.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,948  
Is just a straw man argument for lack of a sound excuse for their position.
LoL...The only straw is with your argument...

Installing chargers in a complex would require at the minimum a major service change likely with a separate meter (which adds clerical costs)...imagine if 50% of renters have BEVs...what a nightmare it would be around public charging stations...

Will be interesting to see how traffic is this summer around national parks etc with so many more BEVs on the road...

Apartment landlords that install chargers can charge $ above the cost...just like they do with washing machines and dryers...

As for your other off the wall claims....you act like things like telephones, cable, W/D hookups are added after the fact...not for about 50 years...
It's the "after the fact" part you don't seem to understand...those costs are already baked in the cake as far as renters are concerned...adding a fee AFTER THE FACT is another thing....get it yet ?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,949  
@sd455dan just as heads up I got a letter yesterday in an envelope that looked like it could be a tax document from Tesla for filling 2023 taxes.

As it turned out it has no return address or company name. It has an 800 number to call to activate my Tesla warranty. It correctly describes my car and includes a VIN missing the last eight digits. The postal permit indicates indicates it was mailed from St Louis Missouri. The storm was moving in and I had a tight schedule so I just set aside because it looks like those extended warranty scams.

Yeah that does sound like a Scam. Tesla Knows All of the Vin info everyday we drive our cars (probably down to what we ate at a drive through as well).
No I have not done that yet.

If there was an Instant Karma button that could be pushed for a fair cost that would cost these scum bags 10 times what they try a damage other peoples lives with Yeah I would pay for that service and Push that button.

I have yet to receive my vehicle registration package from Tesla corporate and the Certificate of origin.

My temp stuck in the rear window expired almost a week ago. I did call Tesla and the Gal emailed me a form to title and register my car but after looking it over the signature lines are not signed by an authority at Tesla. Not sure that will fly with our DMV.

Hoping we get the 2023.6.9 Vision system park assist update soon

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,950  
I'm sitting here trying to watch an FIA Forumula E Race.

It's only a 31 lap race. They have an Energy gage next to the leader board that shows the energy left in each car's battery. It goes up and down depended if they are regen braking or not. Overall, it's not very exciting, and it sounds like you're getting your teeth drilled. :confused: