Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,091  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,092  
Last day of the free FSD for me.

I have let it drive quite bit and while it has faults, I do think Tesla is well on their way to fully functional non supervised driving. Maps need improvement. Cameras need some type of auto clean for bad weather and additional sensors are needed as well for sleet heavy snow and fog.
That said it has driven me to town to a business and home without intervention 'sometimes'.

No small feat , as a kid of the 60's something only imagined in science fiction books.
I have had to disengage when it decides to hug the centerline to close, it hesitates about making a turn before deciding whether to choose, or it decides to speed into a reduced speed zone. Lastly when it thinks my home is on the opposite side of the road after uploading bug corrections to Tesla for over a year with no change to the AP's your destination is on the right.

There are already 2 updates to FSD since the free trial started that I did not get so they are making changes.

Tesla has a system that has the possibility of being be used anywhere, for robots, or even on the Moon or Mars where most others rely on geo fencing and lots of code.

I will miss having the supervised FSD, but not enough to spend $99 a month to keep it as it operates right now.

It would be nice if Tesla leaves the enhanced view enabled. Also wondering whether new retro software update will have to be installed or if the revert back was built in .

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,093  
When talking vehicles we can do it in past, present or future tense. The young lady is talking about each tense in a general sense.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,094  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,095  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,096  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,097  
Last day of the free FSD for me.

I have let it drive quite bit and while it has faults, I do think Tesla is well on their way to fully functional non supervised driving. Maps need improvement. Cameras need some type of auto clean for bad weather and additional sensors are needed as well for sleet heavy snow and fog.
That said it has driven me to town to a business and home without intervention 'sometimes'.

No small feat , as a kid of the 60's something only imagined in science fiction books.
I have had to disengage when it decides to hug the centerline to close, it hesitates about making a turn before deciding whether to choose, or it decides to speed into a reduced speed zone. Lastly when it thinks my home is on the opposite side of the road after uploading bug corrections to Tesla for over a year with no change to the AP's your destination is on the right.

There are already 2 updates to FSD since the free trial started that I did not get so they are making changes.

Tesla has a system that has the possibility of being be used anywhere, for robots, or even on the Moon or Mars where most others rely on geo fencing and lots of code.

I will miss having the supervised FSD, but not enough to spend $99 a month to keep it as it operates right now.

It would be nice if Tesla leaves the enhanced view enabled. Also wondering whether new retro software update will have to be installed or if the revert back was built in .
Good to see an honest report not coming from an "influencer".

Bottom line for you is it is very good but not perfect and not worth $99/mo.

IMO, the price will only come down. At $200/mo some folks wanted it, and at $100/mo it will get more users. Just curious what your price point would be?

I would be interested in a system that warns me if I have drifted out of my lane due to inattention, a medical event, or fallen asleep at wheel...stuff like that. I can get that on ICE vehicles or EVs at a one time affordable cost.

FSD doesn't "turn my crank" much. I still need to be at wheel, and I have a Garmin that costs $150 to plan my route in remote areas or a cell phone where there is cell service. If there is an advantage to FSD I am not seeing it.

IMO Musk is trying to get as many people as possible to get on board not just for some added revenue but to work out as many bugs as possible before the August Robotaxi launch. The Robotaxi will be 100% dependent on FSD. So it must be 100% perfect or it will be a disaster.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,098  

IMO, the price will only come down. At $200/mo some folks wanted it, and at $100/mo it will get more users. Just curious what your price point would be?

I would be interested in a system that warns me if I have drifted out of my lane due to inattention, a medical event, or fallen asleep at wheel...stuff like that. I can get that on ICE vehicles or EVs at a one time affordable cost.

FSD doesn't "turn my crank" much. I still need to be at wheel, and I have a Garmin that costs $150 to plan my route in remote areas or a cell phone where there is cell service. If there is an advantage to FSD I am not seeing it.

IMO Musk is trying to get as many people as possible to get on board not just for some added revenue but to work out as many bugs as possible before the August Robotaxi launch. The Robotaxi will be 100% dependent on FSD. So it must be 100% perfect or it will be a disaster.
Keep in mind there is no launch date planned for robotaxi/ cybercab. They're just going to announce it, but it'll probably be a few years before you see the real thing, just like it's taking a few years to see the Teslas semi.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,099  

This new rule goes into effect. 2029 on the braking system.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,100  
Once a Trekkie always a Trekkie.
This can be a real stress point when it comes to old cars and old tractors.

:)
Kirk had some great lines.
my favorite is "We learn by doing"

The standard Autopilot can warn and actually steer back into the lane if you choose to enable it, it also tracks the eyes and knows when the driver takes their eyes off the road to do something on the factory screen and chides you for not keeping eyes on the road. Wearing sunglasses reduces that by over half.

If we lived close to a decent sized city I would be much more likely to pay for the FSD, but we are not and only take occasional longer trips. I don't need a computer to navigate a local town of under 10K residents.
It is hard for me to believe the 8/8 date with hardware 3 or 4 since It cannot clear its own cameras except the forward facing one. This may work down south but even then night with heavy rain is pushing it.

If Tesla releases Non supervised FSD taxis in the Northern US going into winter it Will result in 'problems'

I like to see Tesla succeed but also believe some of the departures had to be because of the dates assigned to achieve huge FSD goals and these engineers are constrained because of the possible blinded cameras and no FLIR or LIDAR abilities.

It sure would have been forward thinking to have the computer and harness retrofittable to self cleaning cameras and more sensors that could be retrofitted to hardware 3 and 4. jmo, and still impressed with the MY