Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,081  
Good informative video.

I would like to see a follow up video on customers who pay $5K to replace a few cells. How long before they lose a few more and have to pay another $5k.
No one "replaces a few cells". The Model S (featured) has (16) Battery Modules in the big assembly. Each is a stand-alone unit. Swapping a battery module does not stress any of the others.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,083  
Continue to make things up based on your superior knowledge with no experience.
I posted my view of the video.
We know you just love to argue and impress yourself.
I presented a fact from the video, followed by a question, then stated my opinion.

Try showing what, I “made up”, genius..

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,084  
I posted my view of the video.
We know you just love to argue and impress yourself.
I presented a fact from the video, followed by a question, then stated my opinion.

Try showing what, I “made up”, genius..
Fantasizing on weakness of the rest of the assembly after having "replaced a few cells".

Replace 1 of 7 cells in a radio control car NiCAD pack and exactly what you suggest is true. This doesn't scale to (16) independent battery modules, each of which is a fully independent battery in it's own right.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,086  
This doesn't scale to (16) independent battery modules, each of which is a fully independent battery in it's own right.
They’re still:
Old modules
Used modules
Worn modules
Even the replacement modules were used.
Everything I stated above is a fact

Sorry, You don’t get a new battery for $5k
The battery is still old and worn enough that even Tesla doesn’t have faith to warranty it.
Every remaining original module still has the same chance of failure as the others that did fail, hence my question to what kind of warranty is included in that $5k repair

Sorry reality doesn’t fit your imagination

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,087  
To me what EV proponents/owners fail to understand is petroleum = batteries.
ICE vehicles you fill up $xx which gives you about 400 mile range. EV you fill up for ($xx"e") which gives 300 mile range.
So in 10 years the ICE owner spent $14K fuel+oil.
In 10 years the EV needs batteries so not only charging cost but now that plus batteries!!!
No one mentions that.
On another discussion someone mentioned a Greenworks battery mower. Supposedly mows 21 acres or 8 hours on a charge. The factory sent me texts saying under ideal recently cut grass conditions (???). Then finally they don't sell the battery pack but "guessing" a service center could replace it for $5,000-$7,000. Mower is $27,000+tax. Doesn't qualify for inflation reduction act tax credits.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,088  
No one "replaces a few cells". The Model S (featured) has (16) Battery Modules in the big assembly. Each is a stand-alone unit. Swapping a battery module does not stress any of the others.
Did I misunderstand the video? I guess I used the wrong word. I should have said module instead of cell. Sorry.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,089  

The main reason I bought the 2016 Leaf SL showing 22K miles with a fast dying traction battery in 2019 was to learn about the long term survival odds of Nissan.

Thankfully five weeks after the purchase it triggered the 8 year battery warranty and my EV learning was underway. It got totaled 8 months after Nissan put in a larger battery. Rebuilding the car was another good EV learning experience. The 2020 battery is doing well but I have been treating it well.

What I learned from my Nissan experience is if one has limited funds, Tesla is the only logical financial choice.

As you can see from the link above, my focus now is on understanding how the self-driving robots that in my driveway is part of a corporate business plan for the corporation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,090  
The obvious questing that needs asking is why does one person need 4 EVs when most people can get by with one ICE? Next question: How much more did you pay for the S than she did? Sometimes mocking is justified.
Do you not realize that is a question that does not even need to be asked because it is none of our business!