Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,872  
I actually still own a few shares of Tesla, that I kept , when I sold the rest off last year.
Their problem, as I see it, is , they’re a one trick pony.
No hybrids
No plug in hybrids

They took the world by storm, but won’t be able to sustain it. Their years of advantage, granted from their “surprise attack “, are past us now.
They have no ICE connection to supplement hybrids, and plug in hybrids.
ICE manufacturers are getting better every day at battery cars, and can supplement with pure ICE, hybrids, and plug in hybrids.
The writing is on the wall…

Oh yeah, and the cyber truck was one giant waste of resources and time for Tesla. Meanwhile, China and domestic manufacturing is focusing on realistic , useful, practical vehicles

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,873  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,874  
Maybe... It depends on if lawmakers are OK with China's massive under the table subsidies to some of it's EV makers.
Even with those subsidies, Tesla is doing OK against the Chinese brands in the UK. We will see where this shakes out eventually. There was a video I watched that was surprising saying China has over 100 EV companies that each have around 1% of the China EV market.

There is going to be major consolidation as many go broke and are bought up by bigger fish. I do think BYD will do well especially if the no burn battery is really no burn and has a long life.
SAIC/ Roewe/ MG I think has the resources to do well (Company that built my old Rhino 55HP tractor many years ago) really liked the Marvel X and Marvel R especially the interior (yes , better than my Tesla) Geely for sure- (Volvo). Not sure whether NIO will catch on here with the swap out batteries.
Yes they have a mess over there.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,875  
I hope the motorcyclist's family sues both the driver and Tesla. It will take huge court cases in media to slow down this FSD that has Tesla using all the other drivers and pedestrians as guinea pigs and assumes the Tesla drivers are vigilant and not on their phones or distracted.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,876  
Now they found the loop hole in the tax credits....making foreign cars eligible if leased....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44131850/leasing-an-ev-tax-credit/
Where do you read Tesla crushes it?

"Tesla TSLA posted disappointing first-quarter 2024 results, missing both earnings and revenue estimates. This marked the third earnings miss in a row for the electric vehicle (EV) behemoth, following 10 straight quarters of beat. The company remained cautious about its vehicle volume growth rate for 2024, which is expected to be noticeably lower than 2023.

First-quarter earnings per share (EPS) of 45 cents missed the Zacks Consensus Estimate of 46 cents and also declined from the year-ago figure of 85 cents. Total revenues of $21.3 billion missed the consensus mark of $22.6 billion and declined 9% year over year."

It was Gali's summation quotes directly under the video.

and why I said 'cheerleader'

I forgot to add quotation marks around his comments.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,878  
I hope the motorcyclist's family sues both the driver and Tesla. It will take huge court cases in media to slow down this FSD that has Tesla using all the other drivers and pedestrians as guinea pigs and assumes the Tesla drivers are vigilant and not on their phones or distracted.
The only (lame) justification for suing Tesla is The Deep Pockets Motive. That he who has the most money must be liable because one can't get blood out of a turnip.

FSD is a driver assist, not replacement. The driver is fully responsible for what FSD does.

I've had the FSD demo this month. I don't trust it very far. I keep overriding and then it prompts, "why did you disable FSD?" Well, I thought you were too close on oncoming traffic, having too much trouble finding the lane, accelerate too fast from a traffic light, I wanted to be in the left lane because right lane ends just ahead, I wanted to be in the left lane to leave a bicycle as much room as possible, you tried to use a right-turn-only lane to go straight through an intersection, ...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,879  
I understand both of your points, however, "miles per gallon equivalent" in itself is deceptive since electric vehicles don't burn liquid fuel (i.e., "gallons") whatsoever...or do they? Our electric provider generates over half of provided power by natural gas, petroleum and coal.
Every place is different...so MPGe??
No, for MPGe every place is the same. 33.7 kWh for gasoline, 1 kWh per kWh for EV. It is deceptive in that it is a parameter which has no meaning. It has no "feel".

While MPG$ will change with fuel prices it is a parameter for which modern humans have a "feel" for.

For a consumer to make an informed choice, to be fair and accurate that rating sticker would depend on where it's sold and used. Cost per mile (?).
EPA already pretends to be doing that, using a pretend average cost of fuel.

Then price difference must be considered, otherwise in the words of my local bank manager "most people spend to their income".
Then again in this day and age I do not believe half the drivers on the road know how to calculate MPG. They believe the EPA ratings on the window sticker, they believe the fool gauge on the dash. But they lack the skills to divide the miles driven into the gallons purchased at the pump. They lack the skills to know how to collect the data. They lack the skills to know what to do with the data.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,880  
I understand both of your points, however, "miles per gallon equivalent" in itself is deceptive since electric vehicles don't burn liquid fuel (i.e., "gallons") whatsoever...or do they? Our electric provider generates over half of provided power by natural gas, petroleum and coal.
Every place is different...so MPGe???
For a consumer to make an informed choice, to be fair and accurate that rating sticker would depend on where it's sold and used. Cost per mile (?).
Then price difference must be considered, otherwise in the words of my local bank manager "most people spend to their income".

The idea is that ICE (gas/diesel) prices take some very non linear jumps and drops, and at least locally always changing, the one way it makes sense to compare with my other vehicles on what it costs to drive any particular day.
today:
diesel now $4.00
premium $4.76
regular $3.96

I posted prices just a week or so back and the premium is Up

I do not think they are done raising fuel prices, Yet.

At least the KWH price has had only a few small increases over the years.

Crazy, my street bike costs about $10 to go a hundred miles now. The Y will cost me about $3.50

and the RAM diesel about a 20 dollar bill.

If gas drops drastically then I will just refigure using the new numbers.

It just makes the most sense to figure out how the numbers work out where you live, instead of what the Gov or Tesla uses for their approximations or averages.