Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,551  
Grump I must apologize for posting about my new $18K Kia that's been getting 43-44 mpg. Apparently it caused Cysticercosis.
Ivermectin should take care of it.
"Friend got a free new engine in his Kia at 107,000 miles when it threw a rod. Guess he should have changed the oil every 1000 miles rather than 5000."
Well...no...it's a shame he changed the oil at all...a FREE NEW ENGINE at 107K miles!
The dealer was replacing so many they had an engine in stock.

The "good will" warranty was the result of a class action lawsuit and Federal nosing around.

Viva la Kia...I made the right choice! Maybe Elon will give you a NEW FREE BATTERY at 107K miles! Keep us posted!
Tesla warrants my battery for 120,000 miles. So maybe.

Tesla put a new drive unit (motor, "transmission", differential, and inverter) in my Model S at 7 years 10 months. No charge.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,552  
Your exactly right.....and both Grumpy and Trad have made that statement when they want to prove that it only takes 30 minutes to charge on the interstates for eg, or during winter cold batteries situations......and they further call any Tesla owners stupid if they sit at a charger taking up a space waiting for that last 20%.........But of course that actually means range is reduced ( more charger stops) but when they want to boast about long ranges available in these Teslas......they use the 100% to almost zero number........you can't have it both ways. Its misleading advertising at minimum, lies at maximum .
There is no point charging to the max if it still isn't enough to get to the Supercharger past the next.

The fastest way to get there is run down to 20% or so, then add just enough to reach a Supercharger 100-150 miles away.

On a practical multi-hop trip one leaves home then stops at a Supercharger at some point then charges only enough to reach the next with 20% remaining. Then repeat until one reaches the destination. For me a trip to Indiana is at least 3 stops. Many new Superchargers have been built on the route since the last time I drove the Tesla, so it may be 4 or 5 strategic stops of shorter duration is now an option.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,553  
"On average, new EVs had 79% more problems than gasoline-powered vehicles, Consumer Reports' 2023 Annual Auto Reliability survey showed."
...Reuters as per Consumer Reports...

Destroying EV lovers, ICE haters one fact at a time.
There are an awful lot of problems with CU's annual surveys. Smart pollsters know this. The Human Element. People complain more about something new they do not understand.

Used to note the difference in reliability of the same engine/transmission in different vehicles. CU didn't notice.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,554  
New Vinfast EV VF8 test

If it makes it 10 miles and doesn't blow up or break down, we will allow you to buy it!
ev go fail charging, finally got it to charge,
made it 30 miles screen locked up, SOS warning and parked to reset, then the car would not lock... Finally got the reset to work but now the car will not shut off.

Almost as Good as the V version Yanmar refurbs...

next trip they are using a Model Y as a support / follow vehicle.

So bad you'd think it was running Microsoft Windows.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,555  
My Parents got us a subscription to CR shortly after I got married. They, CR, are super blatantly biased, it's not even funny.
They do have a lot of good information, but......
Patrick

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,556  
There are an awful lot of problems with CU's annual surveys. Smart pollsters know this. The Human Element. People complain more about something new they do not understand.

Used to note the difference in reliability of the same engine/transmission in different vehicles. CU didn't notice.
Thankfully we have grump on board who is more knowledgeable than most posters and publications.
"Tesla put a new drive unit (motor, "transmission", differential, and inverter) in my Model S at 7 years 10 months. No charge."
"The "good will" warranty was the result of a class action lawsuit and Federal nosing around."
Per Tesla Motor Club...referring to the Model S Class Action Lawsuit...first reply:
"After my third drive unit failure in less than 100,000 miles, I'm checking on a class-action against Tesla. This equates to a gas car blowing an entire engine every 33,000 miles. The Tesla shop will not provide the old DU even after a non-warranty repair, because they say "Tesla owns the old parts". I can never get a failed drive unit for an expert failure mode analysis, but having seen others who did this they report a consistent finding: Tesla mis-engineered the seals allowing coolant to leak into the DU over time, causing failure consistently, basically a guarantee. Failure in my case was sudden and catastrophic with no warning, while driving down a busy highway. This dangerous fault is also a major profit source for the repair centers which is something Elon Musk was absolutely adamant would not happen."
Now...wait for grump's hysterical reply! Keep the entertainment going! (Need a shovel?)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,557  
Yeah yeah yeah, The Ignorant can't get it out of their heads thinking EVs need gas stations just like ICE. "If only EVs had the infrastructure!"
I saw some new Pilot/Flying J DCFC stations are charging .64/kwh. If you used those instead of charging at home, ev fueling would cost about the same as an ICEV that gets 15 mpg.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,558  

I am glad Tesla as planned from the get go is becoming more working man/woman focused. A $25K Tesla is going to make the insurance companies happy since they prefer to total everything to reduce future liability claims.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,559  
But ICE folklore teaches one to fill before 1/4 tank "because the fuel pump will overheat and burn out if you do not."

Either way the capacity is there for one to use, if one chooses to.

You’re wasting your breath on these posters that are willfully ignorant of operating an EV.

The reason we teslas charge at 80% at superchargers is the charge/time curve is exponentially slower after 80%. More expensive to charge after 80% and the extra time is not worth it when you are traveling.

Now at home I charge to 90% and off planning on taking a long trip I will charge to 100%.

And don’t get me started on keeping my F250 diesel filled. I won’t let it get before 1/2 tank in case of shtf emergency. I tell my kids to not let the gas tank get below 1/4 tank to protect fuel pump and to not be stranded on the road.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,560  
My Parents got us a subscription to CR shortly after I got married. They, CR, are super blatantly biased, it's not even funny.
They do have a lot of good information, but......
Patrick

Funny. Same here. We use to have subscriptions to Consumer Reports and Texas monthly as well as National Geographic about 30 yrs ago.
All liberal rags.