Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,631  
Elon Musk is still on record as saying drill baby drill. He's also on record of increasing refinery capacity in United States. He knows it's going to be 20 50 before we have enough capacity to move everyone to EVS at the passenger vehicle level.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,632  
Laptop batteries. The 18650 cell Tesla used in the initial Roadster and later in the Model S was a popular PC clone laptop cell.

Today it is a vape cell.

No! The Volt used a Rube Goldberg transmission!

When the Volt was initially announced no one had done any research or experimentation. Then they built a rolling prototype of the serial hybrid driveline and eventually concluded they would never get decent MPG out of an engine driving a generator to battery and traction motor.

German engineers were not as smart as GM's. BMW didn't let facts interfere with production of the i3 REx. Small car, gets maybe 30 MPG on the engine but has about 120 mile battery.

So GM faced with being laughed out of the market if they offered a hybrid which got poorer MPG than a pure conventional ICE, was forced to invent a mechanical transmission which mixed ICE and electric propulsion. Is a Rube Goldberg nightmare. Perhaps the most complex GM has ever built. Delayed the Volt by nearly 2 years.

That is what they said about 100+ mile range EVs. Then Tesla built the Model S and people laughed, "1400 pounds of battery! Are you crazy?" But it works.

Tesla puts monstrous batteries in the semi. And it works.

What we really need is a well run rail system.

Perhaps nothing more than new icon images.

I will have to disagree on the Pickups.

I think the Tesla semi can/is a success, especially on a repeating route with big chargers.

Pickups I just do not see carrying 200KWH packs with the "current":) weight of them, and I think that is what is needed to pull a good sized trailer at any time, any where.

We see the Volt drivetrain differently. I see it as acting similar to a trains diesel electric and there are cases of the original Volt making it over 400K miles.
My nephew's 2018 second gen has been a Great car. I need to ask how many miles it has rolled up now.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,633  
Elon Musk is still on record as saying drill baby drill. He's also on record of increasing refinery capacity in United States. He knows it's going to be 20 50 before we have enough capacity to move everyone to EVS at the passenger vehicle level.

He is also Fully IN on Nuclear. I am to, but think the molten Salt reactors are the way to go until Fusion reactors are finally a reality.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,634  
Skip to 21 minutes to read or hear about the opening the doors to China. EVS. We can't keep waiting with the longevity of our grandkids getting shorter year by year.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,635  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,636  
Theoretically a sufficiently well to do person could buy a decent sized acreage , outright purchase a large off grid system with storage and an EV or more and never even hook up to the grid assuming they got the solar storage inverters set up with a genny first,
then keep the generator for back up :)

By Large, I Do mean LARGE Solar, and storage, inverters

Of course being an Electronics Tech you already know that.
Re: Driving on sunshine
Our home array is 20x375 watt panels, 4 years 3 months since online.
Grid-tied inverter, self-installed (retired electrician). 7.5kw.
This has generated about 9 mega-watt-hours per year, 750 kwh per month, 25 kwh per day. In the frozen tundra of central Minnesota.
After going online we had no electric bill (after subtracting billed months from credit months) for years.
House is 2600 sq feet, 200 Amp service.
As the "break-even" point approached we decided to add a plug-in-hybrid to replace one of our cars. With the intent of taking care of any 'overproduction' of our array.
Still came out ahead on electric bill net.
Last year we added an electric Chevy Bolt to replace our last 'all gas' car.
And we now have an electric outlay again.
I can say with certainty that $30 electric bill is cheaper than $80 gas bill a month. Whether we are well-to-do is open to furious debate at our house. (She maintains that I am the only thing getting cheaper nowadays)
To "drive on sunshine" I would have to be able use the standing charge of an EV battery to do vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and time of use billing to shift production. These type of cars and connections are being implemented in other parts of the world, I can only wait.
With a PHEV we are not limited for range, and with an EV we are way ahead on gas.
Kinda, sorta driving on sunshine.

regards,

R

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,637  
EV’s will they work!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,638  
This has generated about 9 mega-watt-hours per year, 750 kwh per month, 25 kwh per day. In the frozen tundra of central Minnesota.
After going online we had no electric bill (after subtracting billed months from credit months) for years.
As the "break-even" point approached we decided to add a plug-in-hybrid to replace one of our cars. With the intent of taking care of any 'overproduction' of our array.
I can say with certainty that $30 electric bill is cheaper than $80 gas bill a month. Whether we are well-to-do is open to furious debate at our house. (She maintains that I am the only thing getting cheaper nowadays)
To "drive on sunshine" I would have to be able use the standing charge of an EV battery to do vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and time of use billing to shift production. These type of cars and connections are being implemented in other parts of the world, I can only wait.
With a PHEV we are not limited for range, and with an EV we are way ahead on gas.

regards,wner
Anks
R
Thanks for your EV and solar ownership report.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,639  

regards,

R
Let me make sure I understand.

You are saving $50/month with EV vs ICE. Cost of the charger is about $1000. So 20 months to breakeven on the charger. Now factor in the cost of the EV vs an ICE...say $4000 more? So, another 80 months to breakeven on the car. 100 months to breakeven - over 8 years, Next "hit"... after 8 years the value of your EV will 1/2 of the value of an ICE.

If you were spending $80/mo on gas, and your ICE got 30 mpg you are driving about 8000 mile/year on both cars combined. That is a tad less than most of us drive. It is too bad you cannot use an electric golf cart for some of your errands and save even more money. But I realize a golf cart is not practical in MN so the Bolt was good choice...LOL.

These are the kinds of testimonials that make me question gung-ho EVers. What works for you is perfect for you. It will not work for everyone. Your needs are less than 5k miles a year per vehicle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,640  
That’s an odd response…

I simply pointed out your attached article mentioned nothing about new options for US Car buyers as you wrote in your accompanying text.

Again, your article was nothing more than an article stating advancing Chinese marketplace dominance.
If you read much Mr. Hawkins you may come to the conclusion that the response in question was just par for the course. I've see much stranger responses from him. Just be glad it was about EVs!🤣