Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,621  
Not looking good when the NHTSA sets their sights on you.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/02/1228607494/tesla-recall-warning-lights-software-update

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V051-2023.PDF

"Tesla is recalling nearly all of the vehicles it has sold in the U.S. because some warning lights on the instrument panel are too small.

The recall of nearly 2.2 million vehicles announced Friday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is a sign of stepped-up scrutiny of the electric vehicle maker. The agency also said it has upgraded a 2023 investigation into Tesla steering problems to an engineering analysis, a step closer to a recall."

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,622  
"Tesla is recalling nearly all of the vehicles it has sold in the U.S. because some warning lights on the instrument panel are too small.
Didn't say which "warning lights" or how small Tesla used. Only that the standard says must be 1/8" tall.

That when I have had Tesla warnings, a big pop up message appeared, one which could not be ignored.

Oh, and once again the media is going wild, "Tesla RECALL!" for a mere over the air firmware update.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,623  
om/watch?v=4Ghl2ujn1UA

It's good to see Ford moving fast on this.

Last year I bought a adapter so I can use CCS 1 to charge my Tesla. In case I got off somewhere there was and not close to a Tesla charger. I hooked it up to for about 10 minutes and it worked fine and I put it back in the trunk?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,624  
I'm betting on an evolution of power/fuel sources for vehicles that will diminish the desire for battery powered vehicles and perhaps a part of the reason some of the major manufacturers are backing off EV's. Toyota/GAC (and I believe Musk)are developing ammonia powered vehicles, but I can envision other fuel sources in the works as well. EV's may become a just passing fad and novelty for the rich :ROFLMAO:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,625  
I'm betting on an evolution of power/fuel sources for vehicles that will diminish the desire for battery powered vehicles and perhaps a part of the reason some of the major manufacturers are backing off EV's. Toyota/GAC (and I believe Musk)are developing ammonia powered vehicles, but I can envision other fuel sources in the works as well. EV's may become a just passing fad and novelty for the rich

You mean now we have to have ammonia stations everywhere? I used to clean the commodes with ammonia and Chlorox until wife said I was making phosgene gas!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,626  
Last year I bought a adapter so I can use CCS 1 to charge my Tesla. In case I got off somewhere there was and not close to a Tesla charger. I hooked it up to for about 10 minutes and it worked fine and I put it back in the trunk?
I have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter used about 5 times.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,627  
I'm betting on an evolution of power/fuel sources for vehicles that will diminish the desire for battery powered vehicles and perhaps a part of the reason some of the major manufacturers are backing off EV's. Toyota/GAC (and I believe Musk)are developing ammonia powered vehicles, but I can envision other fuel sources in the works as well. EV's may become a just passing fad and novelty for the rich :ROFLMAO:

There are millions of sources of energy storage.

Not all are practical. For example Popular Science has been trying to put us on hydrogen for 50 years or so. The energy balance just isn't there, takes too much energy to make H2 unless one extracts H2 from NG.

"Free solar power" for electrolysis of water uses 3-4x more power per mile than to charge an EV battery.

No honest energy balance study exists for ethanol.

So forget energy balance, how much per mile does it cost to drive an ammonia engined vehicle?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,628  

It is difficult to take anyone who is buying an EV to save the planet seriously. They are delusional.

I resent parasites who brag about their $10k tax credit. It is wrong for government to reward stupidity and incentivize manufacturers bringing crappy products to the market.

It is wrong to be funding an EV charging network on our interstate highways that benefits so few citizens.

There is so little that is right about EVs. Yet, I would buy one if it made sense. In the last year, EVs have made the possibility of that less likely In my lifetime.

The Tesla fans fail to appreciate that until the legacy automobile producers have earned their place in EVs, most Americans will not be traveling the EV highway.

Been kind of a GM guy ( at least with car's) most of my life.
Maybe if they "mainly" GM exec's had not spent years mocking and laughing about Tesla "playing" with edit: lap top batteries at virtually every turn and then spent millions on advertising EV's that were not ready,... instead of doing the actual work (like Tesla DID do) of designing, testing and making a profitable reliable and competitive EV cars.

I can't imagine Mary Barra sleeping on the production floor for weeks on end to get a production line up and working well, something Elon most certainly did do.

It does not help that GM borrowed even more Billions and Billions of dollars and then instead of investing in GM's future ( ANY Future, even ICE...) they instead did a big stock buy back and also payed out BORROWED money as "Profit" dividends.
That makes me angry, and I do have some GM and Tesla stock.
Short sighted. I want American companies to advance and grow.

I do not see this ending well, every year less market share, Slowly killing off division after division. Now forcing dealers out over not investing in EV servicing equpment and training then fire sale the properties that were corporate owned.

I still Have Hope that GM will figure out that the Pick up truck segment could benefit from the upsized Volt drivetrain.

Another departure from being an "EV freak", EV Pick ups that haul or pull trailers any significant distance are just Not logical, until another battery or power break through happens.
CARS yes, Pick ups that travel and tow heavy NO.

I don't think anyone has asked Elon this on camera, but it would not surprise me to have him admit we NEED efficient diesel and Gas trucks for many years. Someone needs to confront the EPA and this fantasy that electric Pickups are here and ready for all of the hauling that the US needs done daily.
Sure in a city it can be made to work. Not daily interstate hauling.

So what do you propose for the 20% of US renters that dont have a dedicated charging station at home beacuse they live in an apt? Those numbers being higher in cities

where we really need EV usage the most.

OH, So we DO Need EV's in cities :) Sorry Could not resist.

Didn't say which "warning lights" or how small Tesla used. Only that the standard says must be 1/8" tall.

That when I have had Tesla warnings, a big pop up message appeared, one which could not be ignored.

Oh, and once again the media is going wild, "Tesla RECALL!" for a mere over the air firmware update.

Yeah, Barely Qualifies...that ought to take at Least a couple clicks in the code, thrown in the next feature update and all fixed.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,629  
And what's this about EV owners talking about "driving on sunshine" since they have solar panels.?

Theoretically a sufficiently well to do person could buy a decent sized acreage , outright purchase a large off grid system with storage and an EV or more and never even hook up to the grid assuming they got the solar storage inverters set up with a genny first,
then keep the generator for back up :)

By Large, I Do mean LARGE Solar, and storage, inverters

Of course being an Electronics Tech you already know that.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,630  
Maybe if they "mainly" GM exec's had not spent years mocking and laughing about Tesla "playing" with cell phone batteries at virtually every turn ...
Laptop batteries. The 18650 cell Tesla used in the initial Roadster and later in the Model S was a popular PC clone laptop cell.

Today it is a vape cell.

I still Have Hope that GM will figure out that the Pick up truck segment could benefit from the upsized Volt drivetrain.
No! The Volt used a Rube Goldberg transmission!

When the Volt was initially announced no one had done any research or experimentation. Then they built a rolling prototype of the serial hybrid driveline and eventually concluded they would never get decent MPG out of an engine driving a generator to battery and traction motor.

German engineers were not as smart as GM's. BMW didn't let facts interfere with production of the i3 REx. Small car, gets maybe 30 MPG on the engine but has about 120 mile battery.

So GM faced with being laughed out of the market if they offered a hybrid which got poorer MPG than a pure conventional ICE, was forced to invent a mechanical transmission which mixed ICE and electric propulsion. Is a Rube Goldberg nightmare. Perhaps the most complex GM has ever built. Delayed the Volt by nearly 2 years.

Another departure from being an "EV freak", EV Pick ups that haul or pull trailers any significant distance are just Not logical, until another battery or power break through happens.
CARS yes, Pick ups that travel and tow heavy NO.
That is what they said about 100+ mile range EVs. Then Tesla built the Model S and people laughed, "1400 pounds of battery! Are you crazy?" But it works.

Tesla puts monstrous batteries in the semi. And it works.

I don't think anyone has asked Elon this on camera, but it would not surprise me to have him admit we NEED efficient diesel and Gas trucks for many years.
What we really need is a well run rail system.

Yeah, Barely Qualifies...that ought to take at Least a couple clicks in the code, thrown in the next feature update and all fixed.
Perhaps nothing more than new icon images.