Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#2,191  
#2,194  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,195  
There are now laws on the books to have a certain % EV autos in Europe, and I think some are in the US too.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,196  
I am warming up to the idea of an EV commuter vehicle in the Ford Ranger size/type. But I still have my eyes for now on a new F350 6.7.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,197  
I am warming up to the idea of an EV commuter vehicle in the Ford Ranger size/type. But I still have my eyes for now on a new F350 6.7.
Alpha Wolf. If they make it to production, they plan on a reg cab and an extended cab.
A787C98E-98CE-4036-B1A2-4FE426725396.jpeg5F414E64-F8B5-40A8-B395-E6BD3D4A269A.jpeg
I’m all in on the Canoo truck, but hoping I don’t have to wait until 2023 to get it.
28DA4515-489C-45C2-B0FB-6763F343C853.jpeg

#2,198  

After listening to this 4 times I still think the new proposed EV tax rebate is a haste makes waste event. Speeding up the failure of Ford will hurt a lot of retirement plans.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #2,199  

After listening to this 4 times I still think the new proposed EV tax rebate is a haste makes waste event. Speeding up the failure of Ford will hurt a lot of retirement plans.

I don't find that video convincing at all.

Firstly, that video makes both the claims that the EV F-150 will crowd out ICE F-150 sales and Ford will need to put a lot of effort into marketing the EV F-150. Those are contradictory and it can't be both ways at the same time. Either Ford needs to push hard to sell EVs or EVs sell themselves and will crowd out ICE sales, not both.

Secondly, it makes an assumption that the first generation EV F-150s are going to cannibalize ICE F-150 sales. I don't see it that way at all. Instead I see this first generation of EV F-150 as primarily opening new markets -- mostly those from urban areas who have never made it a habit to travel long distances for weekends and don't have the toys which go with pickup truck life. Instead these people have no real expectations but are tired of cramming their camping/hiking/skiing gear or kids/dog into their hatchback and are thinking of taking up wood working/gardening/etc as a hobby. They would already own a pickup if they weren't so very uncool within their social group.

EV F-150s will displace some ICE pickups with fleet and trades customers (onboard power, frunk, lower TCO are all welcome), but when fleets and trades need a pickup, they can't wait -- if there are no EVs to be had, they'll just buy an ICE model. For many existing half-ton owners, the range and recharging of the EV F-150 doesn't match their expectations. Few single pickup owners will make the jump, but many multiple pickup owners will buy an EV F-150 as a second pickup. But again, these EV F-150 sales are in-addition-to, not instead-of ICE F-150 sales.

The third thing the video gets wrong is misunderstanding production of trim levels. Ford won't produce the many of the low-cost EV trim levels if they can use all their production on Platinum models. The high-trim models are what's appealing to the EV-pickup-OK-ICE-pickup-never crowd and don't have the pricing problems the video claims.

One thing the video does get right is that battery production will be the major constraint. That's where I think the EV rebate can help, by covering higher battery costs.

Last edited:
#2,200  
I don't find that video convincing at all.

Firstly, that video makes both the claims that the EV F-150 will crowd out ICE F-150 sales and Ford will need to put a lot of effort into marketing the EV F-150. Those are contradictory and it can't be both ways at the same time. Either Ford needs to push hard to sell EVs or EVs sell themselves and will crowd out ICE sales, not both.

Secondly, it makes an assumption that the first generation EV F-150s are going to cannibalize ICE F-150 sales. I don't see it that way at all. Instead I see this first generation of EV F-150 as primarily opening new markets -- mostly those from urban areas who have never made it a habit to travel long distances for weekends and don't have the toys which go with pickup truck life. Instead these people have no real expectations but are tired of cramming their camping/hiking/skiing gear or kids/dog into their hatchback and are thinking of taking up wood working/gardening/etc as a hobby. They would already own a pickup if they weren't so very uncool within their social group.

EV F-150s will displace some ICE pickups with fleet and trades customers (onboard power, frunk, lower TCO are all welcome), but when fleets and trades need a pickup, they can't wait -- if there are no EVs to be had, they'll just buy an ICE model. For many existing half-ton owners, the range and recharging of the EV F-150 doesn't match their expectations. Few single pickup owners will make the jump, but many multiple pickup owners will buy an EV F-150 as a second pickup. But again, these EV F-150 sales are in-addition-to, not instead-of ICE F-150 sales.

The third thing the video gets wrong is misunderstanding production of trim levels. Ford won't produce the many of the low-cost EV trim levels if they can use all their production on Platinum models. The high-trim models are what's appealing to the EV-pickup-OK-ICE-pickup-never crowd and don't have the pricing problems the video claims.

One thing the video does get right is that battery production will be the major constraint. That's where I think the EV rebate can help, by covering higher battery costs.

Travis does this guy's points about the F150 Lighting seem more correct in a technical sense to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.