Basic small engine problem - What fixed it?

/ Basic small engine problem - What fixed it?
Since it ran last and probably had poor quality fuel still in it, I'd say a dump and fill with new gas and possibly some new fuel lines from the Ethanol/gas deterioration of them.
I told you the problem "wasn't in the gas". Pay attention! :)

/ Basic small engine problem - What fixed it? #13  
Just curious why you put mixed gas in the carb VS just using the starting fluid?

Just curious why you put mixed gas in the carb VS just using the starting fluid?
I was afraid straight gas would wash the oil off of the cylinder and I was out of starting fluid when I used the mixed gas.

Last edited:
   / Basic small engine problem - What fixed it? #15  
I was afraid straight gas would wash the oil off of the cylinder.
So would stating fluid, so I've been told. Someone suggested carb cleaner instead. I've used that too.
And with just a squirt, you'd just get a pop. That would at least confirm you have spark.

Anyhow, troubleshooting is an art. (y)

Thanks for so many responses. In my non professional option they were all valid.

/ Basic small engine problem - What fixed it? #17  
It’s been several months back or maybe even years that someone was having small engine problems, a chainsaw as I recall. I posted something like “it’s probably not the problem but I’d stick a spark plug in it to make sure”. Of course this thread went on a while with solutions that didn’t fix it. I finally posted “did you ever put a spark plug in it?” You guessed it, spark plug fixed it. I’ve had one go bad exactly once in my 61 years of life but I also figure it probably needs one anyway when you start having problems.

So would stating fluid, so I've been told. Someone suggested carb cleaner instead. I've used that too.
And with just a squirt, you'd just get a pop. That would at least confirm you have spark.

Anyhow, troubleshooting is an art. (y)
I've read or heard all that about starting fluid. That's why I usually check the labels. Every can I can remember said it contained lubricant (for the upper cylinder, I think).

Last edited:
   / Basic small engine problem - What fixed it? #19  
this guy on youtube Mustie1 uses these little Zoom spout oil bottles for bottle feeding a carb in something that has a fuel delivery problem. I got one and they are handy for that.

/ Basic small engine problem - What fixed it? #20  
just cause you see spark.. there is no spark..spark..and good spark aka new plug..